Upgrading the SSD on the Vortex series 15.6"

joslac

Hey guys new poster here!

I recently bought the Vortex series 15.6" laptop (G-Sync) and I wanted to upgrade the SSD inside from an aData SATA to a Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe. The problem is that when I tried opening the bottom cover of the laptop, it wouldn't come off. I didn't want to use too much force in case I break the cover altogether. Has anyone bought the same or similar product as I did? I'd like to know how you opened yours.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If nobody here answers immediately you could call PCS and they'll help. DIY upgrades are entirely fine in terms of the warranty (as long as you don't break anyhting, natch!)

Flo

Silver Level Poster
Not sure if you have tried this already but some laptops need to have the keyboard removed in order to get to some of the screws underneath. There are usually 2 holes on the bottom of the laptop that are clearly marked and where you need to insert a screwdriver and pop the keyboard out.

joslac

Not sure if you have tried this already but some laptops need to have the keyboard removed in order to get to some of the screws underneath. There are usually 2 holes on the bottom of the laptop that are clearly marked and where you need to insert a screwdriver and pop the keyboard out.

Thank you! I contacted PCS but they told me that it's a new chassis so they couldn't provide the manual to open it. I'll give your suggestion a try though because I did saw two screws with a sign that looks like a keyboard.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you! I contacted PCS but they told me that it's a new chassis so they couldn't provide the manual to open it. I'll give your suggestion a try though because I did saw two screws with a sign that looks like a keyboard.
I would phone them again and ask for guidance on opening it up. They certainly know how to do that because they'll have had to do it themselves, You don't want to risk breaking anything....

markh

Bronze Level Poster
someone else did this and posted photos in a detailed review, it's in the 'show off your new pc/laptop' section of the forum, under the thread 'Vortex IX first look', there might be some help there