UPS advice

Sam W

I'm looking to buy a UPS for my PC and would appreciate some advice from someone who has experience with them.
I intend to connect my PC and 1 monitor to the unit (PC PSU = 600W) and be able to have it shut down my PC if I leave it running and the power drops.
Any advice would be great. :)

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
APC have a configurator on their site at http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/ which might help. Many UPSes come "as standard" with USB connectors to help initiate "controlled shutdown" in the event of power loss - but the major deciding factor is how long you want it to run. Baring in mind the higher anticipated load and length of time means bigger heavier batteries (it's been over 10 years since I last handled a UPS and they were heavy things then - but that was "server room grade/multi device"). I would say you're looking upwards from £350 for a basic unit with 10 minutes power.

mishra

Rising Star
Look at APC 900 Pro, should cost you around £150 and will give you plenty of time to switch off your PC and if left alone PowerChute software will automatically switch off the PC when no more juice left in battery.

Also, remember your PC is not using 600W at all times... your PSU can draw up to 600W but your PC, most likely, is using much less, especially when you are not gaming/rendering 3D/decoding a movie. So it will last for quite some time.