USB 3 Issues?

downinone

Have Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard installed in my now 1 year old desktop (Windows & 64 bit Home Premium).

Desktop seldom used and only then for transfer/editing photographs via USB 3 to a HDD.

For some reason the USB 3 ports no longer function. Nothing done to computer (other than MS updates). BIOS is ok in that USB 3 is enabled, however, when checking USB3 with a command verifier software, it couldnt find xHCI host or USB controller (non of which mean anything to me). The HDD does run on the USB ports

Im at the end of my limited computer knowledge so help is required.

The machine has Silver Warrenty ie 3 years labour and 1 year parts. Does this mean if a return is required, the parts would have to be replaced at my expence, although Asus motherboards come with a 3 year warranty

Downinone

steaky360

Have Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard installed in my now 1 year old desktop (Windows & 64 bit Home Premium).

Desktop seldom used and only then for transfer/editing photographs via USB 3 to a HDD.

For some reason the USB 3 ports no longer function. Nothing done to computer (other than MS updates). BIOS is ok in that USB 3 is enabled, however, when checking USB3 with a command verifier software, it couldnt find xHCI host or USB controller (non of which mean anything to me). The HDD does run on the USB ports

Im at the end of my limited computer knowledge so help is required.

The machine has Silver Warrenty ie 3 years labour and 1 year parts. Does this mean if a return is required, the parts would have to be replaced at my expence, although Asus motherboards come with a 3 year warranty

Downinone

I would follow Vanthus' advice and try re-installing the USB 3 drivers from the motherboard disk. It's unlikely to be a hardware fault.

However, if it does end up requiring a return (for any reason) and you are within the 1 year period PCS will pay for the collection/delivery to them and replace the parts/get replacement parts for the motherboard and re-delivery it back to you all under the warranty.
If you are out-with the 'parts' on the PCS warranty you will certainly be able to RMA the motherboard through ASUS directly yourself though.

downinone

I would follow Vanthus' advice and try re-installing the USB 3 drivers from the motherboard disk. It's unlikely to be a hardware fault.

However, if it does end up requiring a return (for any reason) and you are within the 1 year period PCS will pay for the collection/delivery to them and replace the parts/get replacement parts for the motherboard and re-delivery it back to you all under the warranty.
If you are out-with the 'parts' on the PCS warranty you will certainly be able to RMA the motherboard through ASUS directly yourself though.

Thank you both Vanus and streaky360. Have tried using both Asus download and cd but to no avail. Where would I find the drivers detail, USB root hub or generic USB hub. There are two of each in the PC properties and drivers being MS origin ??

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Does anything show amiss in device manager under "universal serial bus controllers"
If so,with motherboard driver disk inserted,right click the device in device manager/"update driver software"/"browse my computer for driver software" locate USB 3 driver folder on driver disk and install driver software manually.

downinone

Does anything show amiss in device manager under "universal serial bus controllers"
If so,with motherboard driver disk inserted,right click the device in device manager/"update driver software"/"browse my computer for driver software" locate USB 3 driver folder on driver disk and install driver software manually.

Vanthus, nothing showing amiss!! Have accessed "USBC" via USB root hub (if thats the way you find them in Win 7) All drivers are MS dated 2006:taz: I have downloaded and run the appropriate drivers via Asus (updated from cd) and expected them to replace those incorrect/dated drivers automatically (or am I expecting too much??) but MS drivers remained. On accessing USBC neither specifies which bus controller is relevant to USB3, does it matter if both drivers are changed??
I note from trawling the internet Win 7 does have issues with USB 3 or can I assume as my machine is just over a year old these issues will have been resolved. Your response would be gratefully appreciated.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Vanthus, nothing showing amiss!! Have accessed "USBC" via USB root hub (if thats the way you find them in Win 7) All drivers are MS dated 2006:taz: I have downloaded and run the appropriate drivers via Asus (updated from cd) and expected them to replace those incorrect/dated drivers automatically (or am I expecting too much??) but MS drivers remained. On accessing USBC neither specifies which bus controller is relevant to USB3, does it matter if both drivers are changed??
I note from trawling the internet Win 7 does have issues with USB 3 or can I assume as my machine is just over a year old these issues will have been resolved. Your response would be gratefully appreciated.
Hmm,I know in device manager on my computer there is "USB 3.O Host Controller" and "USB 3.O Root Hub",though I have a different motherboard.If no USB 3.0 device is showing it could be a hardware problem.If no one has any other suggestions probably best call tech support.

Last edited:

downinone

Hmm,I know in device manager on my computer there is "USB 3.O Host Controller" and "USB 3.O Root Hub",though I have a different motherboard.If no USB 3.0 device is showing it could be a hardware problem.If no one has any other suggestions probably best call tech support.

Thanks again Vanthus. Sadly NO details of USB 3 Host Controller, just 3 Generic USB Hub's, 2 Enhanced Controllers, " Composite Device, ! USB Mass Storage Device, 2 USB Root HUbs. None of the USB root hubs defines USB3 sadly. I will talk to tech support in the morning, if not will use the slower USB 2 :eek:

downinone

downinone

Thanks Jay, Have got Asmedia USB3.0 saved and will try Intel chipset driver amd Mangement interface in the morning. Head a bit scrambled at the moment:wacko: One question I have is having downloaded and saved the chipset driver and management engine interface, where do I run the set up from. Like you, my machine is a Win 7 64 bit( sorry not "old") and having selected the OS and downloaded I find many, many folders to select from. Cant find any a titled, driver. If possible could you please advise which folder to use?
regards
downinone

Everon

Enthusiast
Make sure to have used the "global" download link for those downloads and not the "Global(DLM)" links for the files.

Ok, so you have downloaded the files and you then need to "unzip" them. Should be able to right click and "extract all" then select where you want the folder to go. Once complete then just open that unzipped folder and double click the executable file to run it.

Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Win7: should be named AsusSetup.exe and i believe it is the same for the management engine interface within its own folder.

Should be as simple as that really.

Jay.

Last edited:

downinone

Thanks for your help Jay. Turned machine off last night having extracted files, started it this morning and hey presto can now run off USB3.

Many, many thanks for your knowledgeable assistance with this matter.

Kind regards
downinone

downinone

Have one issue in that each time I reboot, I get Asus setup ini:c:\windows\chipset\Asus setup.ini not found. Any views as it doesnt seem to affect operation of machine.
Sorry
downinone

Everon

Enthusiast
Aha I do remember that happening to me also and here is how i fixed it.

Open Task scheduler and expand the" task scheduler library". Open Asus and select the " i-setup" task , delete it or just right click and disable the event. Restart.

This should fix that problem (did for me)

Jay.

downinone

Sadly not done it for me:( Im at long last finding my way around Win 7). Found two cases of "i set up" and disabled both, rebooted and did loose Asus setup ini:c:\windows\chipset\Asus setup.ini not found, however, did loose USB 3. I then enabled(one at a time and rebooted) the "set up". USB 3 still not operating. Any thoughts please?

Everon

Enthusiast
Sounds to me like the setup program for Intel Chipset Driver and Management Engine Interface and Asmedia USB3.0 Controller Driver hasnt completed its install correctly and windows is re-looking for the setup upon reboot.

What you described sounded like windows installed the drivers using the files when you started your computer, but didnt actually run the installer correctly.

Try reinstalling them both (and the USB driver) from the AsusSetup.exe in each of the drivers folders that you downloaded from the asus site individually and see if that helps with it.

Just out of curiosity, you dont have the drivers on a usb stick when installing do you? make sure no usb devices are plugged in to usb3 ports when doing the install. Keyboard and mouse can be in usb2 (black) ports.

Last edited:

downinone

Thank you everyone:) Issue now resolved by using advise given - plus a little patience didnt go amiss.

Scrolled downloaded Asus page to find full install of Intel chipset driver. InstalledChipset Driver, Management Engine Interface and finally Asmedia USB 3.0 Controller Driver. Rebooted after turning power off and hey presto, all working o.k. Didnt need to open "Task Schedular Library as on reboot all three drivers were recognised and no"cant find" issues. Thanks Jay