USB-C Hub, external monitor

eates

Hello,

I bought Fusion Series laptop recently for my business and I can't use USB-C hubs at hand (working perfectly for Macs and other Windows laptops) for my external monitor.

I really don't want to believe the USB-C is for data only! I bought this computer for Software and Design, I need to be able to use at least 2 extended displays!
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The detailed configuration page makes no mention of USB C as a display output, so it's possible it doesn't support it. I'd suggest contacting PCS on Monday to check.

It has an HDMI port yes? So as a worst case scenario a USB 3 to HDMI adapter might work? Or if it's within the return window you could return the system (as unfortunate as it would be to have to do that ofc)?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello,

I bought Fusion Series laptop recently for my business and I can't use USB-C hubs at hand (working perfectly for Macs and other Windows laptops) for my external monitor.

I really don't want to believe the USB-C is for data only! I bought this computer for Software and Design, I need to be able to use at least 2 extended displays!
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You’re getting confused between usb c and thunderbolt or display port over usb c.
This is just a basic usb c data port, it doesn’t carry any video signal like thunderbolt 3 which has the same connector.

-=SS=-

It's a bit confusing if you've been out of the loop, I almost made the mistake too. USB-C is just the 'connector type' (vs USB 1, 2, 3), the shape of the connector itself. The capability of the port itself depends on the machine - some have icons next to the port to indicate its capability, such as display port or thunderbolt: USB-C Icons

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a bit confusing if you've been out of the loop, I almost made the mistake too. USB-C is just the 'connector type' (vs USB 1, 2, 3), the shape of the connector itself. The capability of the port itself depends on the machine - some have icons next to the port to indicate its capability, such as display port or thunderbolt: USB-C Icons
That's a really handy link. Thanks! :)

eates

I am buying a business laptop, from business configurations section, listing doesn't give descriptive information about the ports.

I wish I would have known it before. I wouldn't want to throw 1K away would I? If this strong machine can't deal with 2 monitors, it's going to be returned.

Any workaround for this? I simply have to use 2 monitors, HDMI is working well, any additional display ports in this machine?

-=SS=-

I do think the shop should more clearly indicate the port capability for the USB connections, given the variance of capability. Some of the sales images you can make out the port icons, others are too dark too.

eates

USB Type C, Thunderbolt (3)*
Modern USB ports using the USB Type-C standard are capable of both sending a display image and powering an external display (need to confirm specific monitor, port and cable are capable). Often found on modern laptops (e.g. HP EliteBook, MacBook Pro with Touch Bar) and monitors. Here

I bought this over 1K laptop 2 weeks ago, thinking that it was 'Modern' enough.

-=SS=-

Your link and quoted text states that you 'need to confirm the port is capable'. Their writing sucks though, it should read "Modern USB Connections using the USB..". The connection type of USB C is potentially capable of doing display, power, thunderbolt.. but it depends on the particular port on the particular machine.

I'm not sure what your options are as you only have 1 HDMI output port :/

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've checked in built processor from Intel and it seems like it can display 3 monitors.
Intel® Core™ i7-10510U Processor

I am not quite sure GeForce MX250 supports multiple displays.
The usb c doesn’t carry video.

what other connectors do you have? Normally there will be hdmi and DP.

It doesn't matter if the gpu supports multiple displays it's what display outputs you have available on the chassis.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I am buying a business laptop, from business configurations section, listing doesn't give descriptive information about the ports.
Most PCS configurators have a Detailed Specification tab that lists the ports - what page did you buy yours off?

Any workaround for this? I simply have to use 2 monitors, HDMI is working well, any additional display ports in this machine?

a USB 3 to HDMI adapter might work?

Did you give any thought to this previously-made suggestion?

As a LMGTFY service: https://www.startech.com/uk/AV/disp...eo-Adapters/slim-usb-3-hdmi-adapter~USB32HDES

eates

Thank you SPYDERTRACKS.

Maybe yes in 2014, but in 2020 if not stated otherwise, I would assume the usb-c port is capable of displaying video.

Here are my sockets, I have hdmi but that's the only port I guess.

connectors.png

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That's actually a USB 3.0 (type A) to HDMI adapter as it happens :) assuming they still wanted to plug the thing into the USB C docking station for other purposes.

eates

OUSSEBON, here is the link:

My business is small, and I am not buying laptops everyday. My mistake was not to question the ports before I purchase, I thought a usb-c port should support display as a standard.

On the other hand, the adapter we require now (as you suggest) is nearly 10 percent of my laptop and as expensive as my external monitor.

I have 2 usb-c adaptors already. Will it make any difference to go with a Usb 3 to HDMI adaptor if none of my ports supports display?

connectors 2.png

-=SS=-

Now I'm confused :unsure: So why are there USB C ports with the DP icon? Or Thunderbolt Icon? My impression is that not all USB C ports can output video signal (or thunderbolt, power) and that it depends on the port/hardware on a particular device and not the bandwidth potential of USB C connection itself.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
On the configurator page you linked there is at the top right a detailed specification tab, which lists the ports. Where DP over USB C is a feature, it says, and unfortunately it doesn't for that model.

The adapter I linked functions as an external video card. So it should make a difference. It did for the customers who left reviews on the site anyway.

There are other cheaper ones probably, which you could shop around for.

-=SS=-

On the configurator page you linked there is at the top right a detailed specification tab, which lists the ports. Where DP over USB C is a feature, it says, and unfortunately it doesn't for that model.

To avoid confusion I think it should state 'data transfer only' in detailed specs, and in the '?' by the usb ports section it should break it down a bit. I almost got caught out and not all the laptop images show the port icons clearly.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Worth feeding back to PCS.

If doing so, what would be arguably even more relevant would be the HDMI / DP version numbers

Edit: also worth noting none of this would have helped here if the OP didn't check the tab - as I expect many people don't in fairness - though that's not an argument not to have the info available ofc!

Last edited: