USB ports stopped working... Any ideas why?

Outerarm

Hmm... Several of my USB ports have suddenly stopped working. All was fine then my keyboard stopped responding during a BF4 game. Thinking it was a problem with the keyboard I tried a few different ports and then found one that worked. Before I RMA, are there any suggestions as what the problem may be and if this is something I could fix without sending the rig back to PCS?

Thanks in advance.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Start>control panel>Hardware and sound>Device manager then click on universal serial bus controllers

Click down though each one and see if the box that pops up has anything but "this device is working properly" Sometimes a red cross will also how up.

Do you know if they are usb2.0 or 3.0 ports?

Could be anything from a disconnected cable to the motherboard to a problem with the drivers. I presume its the ports on the back you are using, are any on the front effected?

Outerarm

Thanks and +rep -- all listed USB controllers are showing as 'working correctly'. Yes, it was a port at the back and I now have the keyboard plugged in a port at the front. I'll be checking each port later tonight to see if any others are not working. The 2 USB 3 ports at the front have never worked so if others have stopped it may be a good time for PCS to look it over.

Outerarm

Thanks and +rep. Drivers reinstalled and the port seems to be working again now... Odd, but resolved!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Good stuff, same happened to by brothers laptop, same trick as above fixed it.

No idea why it happened, just bill gates having a laugh probably....