USB Wireless Adaptors vs On-Board Wireless

Dosdamt

Hello PCS lovely people,

Another question, focused on wireless adaptors.

I need to understand whether there is any significant difference in performance between USB adaptors vs on-board wireless boards.

I didn't include onboard wireless, as I figured USB would be fine. I've never really had an issue with USB adaptors either - open to suggestions and your knowledges!!

Thanks

-Ben

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
There's not really any difference, apart from one is inside the computer and the other plugs into your USB ports. You may find that a wireless PCI card has a better signal because it's got a larger aerial at the back, but the difference is most likely negligible.

Sleinous

Author Level
Ye next to no diff, im always worried ill walk past and snap the usb stick off though, as theyre usually quite flimsy and loose and long :p The wireless adapter that is ;)

LFFPicard

Godlike
I currently have built in wireless on my current PC, i don't really use it unless my cat decides to chew my network cable.
When i used it the signal was maxed out with no issues, it came with a screw on arial that i can move around and a small magnet on the bottom so i can stick it almost anywhere within about 30cm of the port on the back.

But as boht previous have said, not really any difference.

rocknroll

Bronze Level Poster
with the dongle version you can always put it on a lead and move it away from the pc.
to improve the signal on my old pc with a USb T-Mobile broadband dongle i used some blue tack and a lead and stuck it up to improve signal.