Vagaries of overclocking

greybing

why is it possible to stably increase core ,memory and shader clocks without increasing voltage as i would of thought that any increase in capacity would demand more power.

Gorman

Author Level
Because of this you can only go so far without upping the voltage, raising the core / shaders without giving it more juice will cause stability problems.

greybing

ok...makes sense........ the fact that you are able to overclock everything except the voltage and have a stable overclock implies that the voltage at factory setting is more than the demands of the other stuff,shaders etc......do you get what i mean or did i explain that bad,my head is a little................er fuzzy,fuzzy.......cool sounding word .....sorry

Kalisnoir

Super Star
It made sense grey, the reason for this is exactly the same as why you get a PSU that has more power then is required, its not always needed but it makes sure the system is stable. The power is set slightly higher then "necessary" for the exact reason as to be stable, not too little, and not too much so to speak. Another factor (although small) is that the fan changes speed as required, which slightly increases/decreases the required power.

Hope that made sense aha.

greybing

yes ,this is what i was saying seems to be the case with graphics cards........not sure what to make of your post kalisnoir,were you imlpying i did not think what gormon said made sense because i was not...sorry if i have mis understood

Kalisnoir

Super Star
You said "do you get what I mean or did I explain that bad" at the end of your post so I was just saying I did understand what you meant :)