Valeon 17. Rtx 3080 max-p?

JjBb

Hi all.
Thinking to buy a Valeon 17 with Ryzen, 32 GB RAM, and RTX 3080 16GB. I Need it mainly for working. Can you please tell me about the version of the gpu? Is it a full max-p type?
Thanks.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Hi all.
Thinking to buy a Valeon 17 with Ryzen, 32 GB RAM, and RTX 3080 16GB. I Need it mainly for working. Can you please tell me about the version of the gpu? Is it a full max-p type?
Thanks.

Hi there :) Yes the Valeon has the Max-P versions of RTX 3070 and 3080 . For the RTX 3080 it should be 150w +15w boost = 165 watt total TGP . For the RTX 3070 it is 125w +15w boost = 140w TGP which is max for that GPU .

paul_mulks

@KriSta Are you sure because that's not what I was told by someone at PCS when I asked them what my 3080 TGP would be? They told me all 3080's are the 115w version.

paul_mulks

Just had it reconfirmed that the Valeon series does not have the Max-P card, they come with the 130w versions, it's only the recoil laptops that have the top 165w card

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Just had it reconfirmed that the Valeon series does not have the Max-P card, they come with the 130w versions, it's only the recoil laptops that have the top 165w card
This is odd as the RTX Valeon in this tread below has the 150+15w RTX 3080 16 GB version

paul_mulks

Yeah I read that thread myself which is exactly why I contacted PCS this morning to ask what version of 3080 will be in my Valeon which I ordered yesterday and they told me that ALL the 3080's are the 115w +15w dynamic boost (130w total) so I feel a little deflated after spending nearly 3k on a laptop 😫

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
Yeah I read that thread myself which is exactly why I contacted PCS this morning to ask what version of 3080 will be in my Valeon which I ordered yesterday and they told me that ALL the 3080's are the 115w +15w dynamic boost (130w total) so I feel a little deflated after spending nearly 3k on a laptop 😫

Why would then the RTX 3080 be of a lesser performance to the RTX 3070 in the same chassi ? :)

barlew

Godlike
So the default Gaming profile in Control Center limits it to 115W + 15W but its the full 150 + 15 W card you just have to change the setting in Control Center.

1639755142112.png

barlew

Godlike
I hope you're right mate because they are telling me something completely different
Unless they have changed the chassis since mine was built last week I am not wrong.

I have watched my GPU boost up to 165W when running benchmarks it is definitely a Max-P card.

paul_mulks

I have copied the reply they sent me when I asked the question about TGP for the 3080

Dear

Thanks for contacting us.
Max TGP support on this system would be: 115W
Game like Warezone would be roughly about 120 to 150fps depending on the map.
There are many benchmarks on YouTube you can have a look with this certain GPU: Laptop RTX 3080 115W

If we can assist you any further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many Thanks

Jakub

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
That Jakub is way off as the max TGP for the RTX 3080 is 165w inclusive of boost , and it will only boost if it has thermal headroom to do so ( not an actual issue for the Valeon )

barlew

Godlike
This fills me with confidence 👌🏻
The default profile is that the card is set to 115 + 15 W. But its designed for you to configure it yourself. You can change everything from the CPU wattage to TGP values and boost frequencies. It is like that out of the box so you wont be voiding any warranties or anything its all part of Tong Fangs Control Center software. You can set the laptop up for how you want.

paul_mulks

That Jakub is way off as the max TGP for the RTX 3080 is 165w inclusive of boost , and it will only boost if it has thermal headroom to do so ( not an actual issue for the Valeon )
They are useless! I seriously hope
The default profile is that the card is set to 115 + 15 W. But its designed for you to configure it yourself. You can change everything from the CPU wattage to TGP values and boost frequencies. It is like that out of the box so you wont be voiding any warranties or anything its all part of Tong Fangs Control Center software. You can set the laptop up for how you want.
This is good news for me! 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

barlew

Godlike
They are bloody useless! I seriously hope

This is good news for me! 🤣
Of course in order for it to boost up to 165W you need to limit the wattage to the CPU. I have done that any way because the 5900HX runs extremely hot. If you are gaming with the laptop then this isnt a problem but if you need to do some sort extremely heavy CPU tasks it could be a problem?

I have PL1 and PL2 states set to 25W at the moment (the default is 50C) and in games I've bought temps down from around 95-97C to around 77-80C and I have lost on average 4 frames from my average FPS so its well worth it.

paul_mulks

Is that screenshot of the SPC settings what you use all the time? I ordered my Valeon yesterday with the same sort of specs as you and I intend to primarily use it for gaming, so would you say those settings are the sweet spot?

barlew

Godlike
Is that screenshot of the SPC settings what you use all the time? I ordered my Valeon yesterday with the same sort of specs as you and I intend to primarily use it for gaming, so would you say those settings are the sweet spot?
Yes they are. So far they seem to be working great but I have spent most of my time running benchmarks with the laptop in that setting. You cant see the SPL and sPPT values but they are both set at 20. I have played A load of BF 2042 with those settings and it seemed stable, also a load of Days Gone again it seems stable.

Just to prove that the laptop is actually boosting up to 165W here is a quick screen shot I took from Heaven literally 5 minutes ago.

1639756846633.png

Sorry the original image was too big and if I made it smaller you couldn't read the text.

There you can see the CPU is limited to 20W the GPU has boosted up to 165W. If you look in the top right it shows you my Valeon's specs.

paul_mulks

Gleaming mate! This has made my day to be honest as I felt a little disappointed when they told me the 3080 was only 115w, but this has given me that warm fuzzy feeling 🤣