Valeon Ryzen 9 17.3" Review

GilgaXOPC

The most impressive feature is the screen which almost looks like a multicoloured nanotechnology Split-flap display. The attached photo does not do justice to the clarity of the screen. But it does show that there is virtually no reflection off its mat [or opaque] display screen. I own 4 Surface tablets which always had 4K displays, but the reflection on the Microsoft Surface tables is awful, where you can see yourself reflected when looking at the screen. This Valeon laptop does not reflect almost at all. The out of focus colours showing is the translucence being introduced in preparation to Windows 11. My picture looks grainy and its colours bleeding, but in real life the screen's contrast and colours are sharp and great all-round.
I did try this rig on Windows 11 Dev Insider, but I decided to roll it back. Mostly because the Control Centre driver needs to be updated in order to control its 3 cooling fans as well as it does on Windows 10 (at the moment). Incidentally, the fans are almost silent on idling, which is a very pleasant surprise to me. Especially because I had bought a high-end Gamer laptop from a competitor in 2019 which I had to return due to constant whining and humming fan noise. This time I thought I was taking a risk buying this PCS Valeon because, unlike Asus, PCS do not mention what the fans or heatsink technology is like. I wish they had published or mentioned something including a photo of the laptop’s insides. But so far, it is much better than what I was prepared to put up with. In fact, it is the quietest laptop (or even MS Surface) that I have ever owned. I don’t know if it the quiet emanates from its AMD Ryzen CPU [or put another way: “non-Intel” CPU]. Which brings me to my main reason for choosing this PCS Valeon: I couldn’t find any other Custom PC builder or branded laptop maker with the spec that I wanted. Namely the Ryzen 9 5900HX, RTX 3070 and “upgrade” it to 32GB RAM. I wanted the AMD CPU and at least that much RAM to test optimising large Tabular DAX reports which ran on RAM [instead of reading from storage] and CPU, thus relegating importance of the read/write hard drive speeds to almost non-important. Still, that didn't stop me from choosing two [very fast] 1TB Samsung EVO M.2. Custom builders were out of stock for key GPU components, and none offered AMD CPUs. Mine is a Ryzen with Radeon, but I must admit I do not know the significance of the Radeon, although I can’t wait to find out. Branded laptops could not “upgrade” me to the 32 GB RAM that I wanted, and were out of stock for AMD Ryzen anyway. But worse of all, none of the Asus Gaming laptops, for example, have an integrated web cam, whereas PCS rigs do. For me the webcam was a deal breaker for purposes of Windows Hello and [dreaded] Teams meetings... This is called a "Gaming" laptop, but it was the only way for me to get one with the high-end spec and flexibility to add extra spec components to [also/mainly] suit my non-gaming needs.

Attachments

• 02Screen.jpg
    02Screen.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 03Undercarriage.jpg
    03Undercarriage.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 04RearWDockStn.jpg
    04RearWDockStn.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 127