Very bad battery life & no sleep

cyrMar

Hi everyone.

I recently bought an Initia 15'6 AMD, installed linux on it (ferenOS, default kernel is 5.8.0, I upgraded to 5.12.4 but no improvement observed) and I face 2 issues with it :
1. It won't sleep. the screen turns black but the power led stays on and I have to hard shutdown to get control back which is pretty annoying (I have to turn it on/off each time I want to use it...)
2. battery life is not good. I currently set the cpu governor to powersave (through TLP) which gives me decent battery life (5/6h) but ondemand governor drains the battery in sth like 2/3 hours which is awful given the fact that this laptop should have an AWESOME battery life (pretty much why I bought it).

So here are my questions :
- are there any reliable solutions to these issues ?
- if not, would a refund be possible given the fact that my brand new laptop is unusable as it is ?

Thx in advance

Edit : full specs below

Chassis & Display
UltraNote Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen™ 7 8-Core Processor 4700U (2.0GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ Graphics (CPU Dependant)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (1900 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
Battery
UltraNote Series Integrated 36WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 GEN 2 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.2 GEN 1 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
MULTI COLOUR BACKLIT FRENCH KEYBOARD

Last edited:

Citrus_9

Expert
Hi ;) Would be very helpful if we see full specs as explained in the below link.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
My understanding the sleep problem is that I might be missing S3 sleep state at bios level :
But no option shows to switch from "windows mode" to "linux mode" :( (rly microsoft, breaking things even on OTHER OSes ?? -_-)
How is Windows to blame for a problem in Linux? As far as I understand it PCs sell Windows PCs and laptops. If you choose to install your own OS (either Windows or Linux) then you are really expected to be able to set this up for yourself. There are some users on the forum who use Linux and they might be able to assist you, @Stephen M springing to mind.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
How is Windows to blame for a problem in Linux? As far as I understand it PCs sell Windows PCs and laptops. If you choose to install your own OS (either Windows or Linux) then you are really expected to be able to set this up for yourself. There are some users on the forum who use Linux and they might be able to assist you, @Stephen M springing to mind.
PCS do not support any OS other than Windows, the BIOS firmware in PCS builds are thus 'optimised' for Windows. Whilst most builds support Linux perfectly well it's clear from posts in the Linux forum that some builds have minor issues and these are sometimes down to the supplied BIOS.

If you buy a PCS build with no-OS then you are taking on all responsibility for making it work I'm afraid.

cyrMar

Initia or Ultranote?
Initia AMD

PCS do not support any OS other than Windows, the BIOS firmware in PCS builds are thus 'optimised' for Windows. Whilst most builds support Linux perfectly well it's clear from posts in the Linux forum that some builds have minor issues and these are sometimes down to the supplied BIOS.

If you buy a PCS build with no-OS then you are taking on all responsibility for making it work I'm afraid.
Yeah sorry for being blunt. I'm just tired of having to get around microsoft's new "standards" that impact everyone, even those not using windows.

Anyway, anyone aware of an alternative BIOS that would enable good old "legacy" S3 sleep ?
As per the battery life problem, i'm afraid i'll have to wait for kernel upgrades with better renoir support.

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Anyway, anyone aware of an alternative BIOS that would enable good old "legacy" S3 sleep ?
Just so's you know, if you flash the BIOS without approval from PCS you will likely void the warranty. From the Terms & Conditions...

7.9 We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.