Video Editing / 64 Bit Question

Hi, :)

Is there anyone who can help me with understanding 64-bit with regards to video editing, namely Adobe® Creative Suite® 5

I'm currently using Coral Visual Studio X2 for all my video editing, but I want to take it to the next level and purchase the latest suite from Adobe.

Adobe say's Adobe After Effects CS5 requires a 64-bit operating system.

Windows
Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (Intel Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II recommended); 64-bit support required

Question -

Does this mean that I simply need to upgrade my computer OS to 64-bit or do I need to start again and buy a 64-bit CPU/board/RAM etc and 64-bit OS ??

Hope you can help :)

Cheers

Tom

My current computer specs are - (not built buy me, I know very little about this stuff)

Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme, iX38, S 775 - DDR3
CPU Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 (12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
Memory 4GB Cellshock DDR3 1600MHz
HDD1 300Gb Western Digital Raptor Enterprise,
GFX1 1GB MSI HD3870 X2 PCI-E2.0 (x16), 1800MHz GDDR3, GPU (CrossfireX)
GFX2 1GB MSI HD3870 X2 PCI-E2.0 (x16), 1800MHz GDDR3, GPU (CrossfireX)
Sound Card Sound Blaster FX Extreme
Optical1 Plextor PX-800A/T3KB DVD/RW
PSU Coolermaster 1000W Realpower Pro
CASE Silverstone Temjin TJ10
Cooling Standard Air Cooling
OS Windows Vista Ulitmate 32 Bit
HD's Configured in RAID 0 Arr

PringlesInside

Enthusiast
from what i understand, you just get a 64 bit OS.....

Also how much RAM do you have? I think you need minium of 2gb RAM to use 64bit.

btw i got idea which i will be using when my new pc comes (hoping this friday but some say next week ), dual boot ; your current OS and then add a 64bit OS. to do that u need to partion etc. Lookup on google :). Its good method if you still want to keep your current OS with everything on it etc.

Thanks Pringlesinside,

I have 4Gb of RAM, but only about 2.5GB after Vista and GFX cards have their share.
2GB for 64-bit! That doesn't leave much for video editing with memory hungry Adobe 5
Maybe I will upgrade.

Cheers mate

Tom

Craig

Silver Level Poster
Being honest.. Windows Vista is horrible!

You should install Windows 7, it is much less of a memory hog - and it is just better in either way.
Haven't found no advantages of Vista over Windows 7. It is nearly the same OS (almost same UI at least), but much much faster.

Sleinous

Author Level
GFX cards should NOT be having their share.

I'd strongly suggest buying say a GTS 450 as this Nvidia card has CUDA cores which will make your editing SO much easier, smoother and enjoyable. You can install 64bit onto thatw ithouta problem, 4GB is ample.

Thanks Craig/Sleinours,

Interesting thoughts on Windows 7 and CUDA cores. I always thought GFX cards robbed a PC of it's memory. Good to hear this isn't the case.
Thanks again

Tom