Video Editing PC for Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve

alexmel93

Hey guys,

looking to build a PC with those specs to use mainly for Video Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve. 4K videos with different codexes, GoPro, Sony & DJI files, h.264, h.265 ecc.

Case
COOLERMASTER COSMOS C700P TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-9900X (3.5GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® WS X299 PRO: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM)
128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (8 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i PRO Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
3x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120 RGB + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1900 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCI-E CARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
Norton Security Deluxe 3.0: 1 User, 5 Devices - 1 Year Subscription
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
3 - 4 DAY DELIVERY TO ITALY
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Price: €3.967,21 including VAT and Delivery

Any ideas how this will work? Edit suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Alex

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd very strongly suggest waiting for 7th July if you can, when AMD's Zen 2 CPUs will launch.

These will include more advanced motherboards with more forward-looking features, and 12-core CPUs with similar/higher frequencies and similar/higher IPC for a lower price versus things like the 9900k.

alexmel93

I saw that AMD just launched there new processors and they looked very interesting, however i still feel like when working with adobe software it will be better using Intel, any thoughts about this? And also launching on July 7th it might take time until stuff will be compatible?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
however i still feel like when working with adobe software it will be better using Intel, any thoughts about this?
My thoughts are that you could be right and you could be wrong, which is why it makes sense to wait for early July and for benchmarks / independent reviews to be available.

As you might know, when new hardware launches, hardware websites review the hardware and provide measurements of their performance in various common applications, including games, Adobe Premiere and other Adobe software, Handbrake, and lots more.

I suspect that AMD's 12-core CPU 3900x might well beat Intel's 9900x, because we are expecting ~10-15% IPC uplift, and fairly good frequencies, as well as the 2 extra cores.

Puget Systems often do detailed reviews of new hardware in Premiere Pro and other Adobe software, and sometimes Davinci too.
Gamersnexus usually cover Premiere Pro, and most hardware websites will have some coverage of Premiere Pro performance too. Which makes sense because loads of them use Premiere Pro for the videos they upload to Youtube

The point is that if you are spending 4000€ on a new PC, you want to be certain you are buying something that gives the best performance possible for your money, and for the sake of a few weeks, it seems worth waiting. Maybe Intel will still be the better choice, but best to be sure with this kind of money.

And also launching on July 7th it might take time until stuff will be compatible?
Zen 2 has not been a secret; everyone knew it was coming. It's not a rushed launch. Also, while Zen 2 is the first mainstream consumer desktop CPU on 7nm, the Zen architecture has been around since 2017.

Moreover, AMD are a huge company and work with major software companies to make sure the software and hardware work as well together as possible. And of course they have been working with motherboard manufacturers as well in preparation for the new X570 series motherboards.

Certainly with any new hardware launch there will be updates to fix issues and improve performance.

However - the same is true of Intel's existing CPUs, which keep seeing BIOS / OS updates to patch security vulnerabilities. And these usually cost performance, rather than increase it.

So: AMD's Zen CPUs have been around a while. Zen 2 should not be a rushed launch. There shouldn't be major compatibility issues. There will surely be a raft of updates to software/BIOS etc - but you get that on old Intel hardware as well as new AMD hardware.

The bottom line is that I think you should wait for benchmarks and reviews of Zen 2, then decide what to buy.
Don't buy Intel because you think it will be better, wait for data and then make an informed purchase :)

alexmel93

Awesome! Thanks a lot for this detailed feedback and pretty much explains all my questions. Makes totally sense to wait and see what the final numbers are when the processors will be compared. And of course as you said this machine will last for a few years so waiting for a few more weeks should make sense :)

Thanks again and best,
Alex

Stephen M

Author Level
I realise what you will be using the machine for will be very RAM hungry but worth bearing in mind that PCS allow us to open up and work on our machines without voiding the warranty. As RAM is expensive you could consider going with a bit less and adding more if needed.

alexmel93

I realise what you will be using the machine for will be very RAM hungry but worth bearing in mind that PCS allow us to open up and work on our machines without voiding the warranty. As RAM is expensive you could consider going with a bit less and adding more if needed.

Hey Stephen,
yes i actually was thinking again about my setup and I added 128gb of RAM as I also want to do motion graphics work inside after effects. However i might go with the 64gb first and add more myself in the future if i feel like i need them! Might save some money in first place here. Thanks a lot for your feedback :)