Spyder’s Vinyl Showcase (With Added Toe)

D

Deleted member 41971

If you do I'll send you a box to get you started.

the @ActuallyDenz of the vinyl world by the sounds of it,

you will be called,

lord of vinyl

All Hail GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Rather cool one today, at least in my book

This is one of the HMV 100th anniversary special releases, no idea what these are like, this is my first

808 State - 90

20220622_101545.jpg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just managed to bag what looks like a very decent original copy of Raw Power for £37!

Given that my turntable has died I’ll likely not find out the true quality for a while. But it’s a record for the ages, glad to have a physical copy on the way 🙂👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just managed to bag what looks like a very decent original copy of Raw Power for £37!

Given that my turntable has died I’ll likely not find out the true quality for a while. But it’s a record for the ages, glad to have a physical copy on the way 🙂👍
True classic. I get the impression a lot of your collection are originals, is that accurate? It's impressive, they must be quite hard to come by sometimes, although it adds a level of excitement as to weather you've got a gem or slightly lesser.

Where do you get them? We've got quite a huge boot sale every other week about 30 minutes away off the motorway, I keep meaning to go along, but you really have to get there about 7am before the queues go crazy. But I'm sure that would be a great place to pick up some good copies. Must get out and explore more.

Around here though, most of the second hand shops will sell their records for like £20 each, even in poor condition, they've all cottoned on to the popularity. I do go to a couple of physical record stores, but it's almost always to pick up reserved new copies, or especially for any record store day drops. I do love to help out the stores where I can. We've got one near where I work which I used to go to when I was at school buying tapes and CD's, and now I'm there picking up records, that place has literally influenced a huge part of my music listening lifetime. I'd hate to see them not be there, they're such a big part of the community.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
True classic. I get the impression a lot of your collection are originals, is that accurate? It's impressive, they must be quite hard to come by sometimes, although it adds a level of excitement as to weather you've got a gem or slightly lesser.

Where do you get them? We've got quite a huge boot sale every other week about 30 minutes away off the motorway, I keep meaning to go along, but you really have to get there about 7am before the queues go crazy. But I'm sure that would be a great place to pick up some good copies. Must get out and explore more.

Around here though, most of the second hand shops will sell their records for like £20 each, even in poor condition, they've all cottoned on to the popularity. I do go to a couple of physical record stores, but it's almost always to pick up reserved new copies, or especially for any record store day drops. I do love to help out the stores where I can. We've got one near where I work which I used to go to when I was at school buying tapes and CD's, and now I'm there picking up records, that place has literally influenced a huge part of my music listening lifetime. I'd hate to see them not be there, they're such a big part of the community.
I try and get originals where I can. They’re the holy grail. As I almost exclusively listen to music that was made before I was born, I love picking up a copy of an album that’s in great condition and has been lovingly treated by the original owner. Hearing that pressing that was mastered and committed to vinyl forty or more years ago is always a really exciting event for me.

Car boot sales have been a great source for records over the years. I’ve had a few duds but it’s part and parcel of the chase. Back in the early 2000s, charity shops were a goldmine. People passed away, vinyl was considered a dead medium by most and I picked up a lot of great stuff at a pittance.

I suppose that it’s all relative to your preferences, though. As I like the old stuff, I’m more likely to find hidden gems at a car boot. I reckon your goldmines would be at those covered market stalls where there’s an insanely knowledgeable guy selling vinyl. You’ll find an original Marvin Gaye ‘What’s Going On’ a few doors down from some obscure Belgian jungle that John Peel was mental for.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I try and get originals where I can. They’re the holy grail. As I almost exclusively listen to music that was made before I was born, I love picking up a copy of an album that’s in great condition and has been lovingly treated by the original owner. Hearing that pressing that was mastered and committed to vinyl forty or more years ago is always a really exciting event for me.

Car boot sales have been a great source for records over the years. I’ve had a few duds but it’s part and parcel of the chase. Back in the early 2000s, charity shops were a goldmine. People passed away, vinyl was considered a dead medium by most and I picked up a lot of great stuff at a pittance.

I suppose that it’s all relative to your preferences, though. As I like the old stuff, I’m more likely to find hidden gems at a car boot. I reckon your goldmines would be at those covered market stalls where there’s an insanely knowledgeable guy selling vinyl. You’ll find an original Marvin Gaye ‘What’s Going On’ a few doors down from some obscure Belgian jungle that John Peel was mental for.
I'm particularly obsessed with Pink Floyd, what I would do for an original set of presses of their albums!

There have been a couple of times where I've looked into picking up an original DSOTM, but you're talking around £700 for a good copy. But one day, I'll have one by hook or by crook. I keep hearing of people going to auctions and paying £100 for an unseen box of records from someone who recently passed away and they're just clearing out their collection, and you come across a treasure trove of classic first presses, that's the dream!

That's the thing with me, I tend to only accept NM or Mint, occasionally I'll take a VG+ but only if it's been play tested as people who play test tend to under grade.

But with Pink Floyd and Beatles, they've done some recent remasters that are such good quality (the 2016 Pink Floyd remasters and recent Beatles Anniversary remasters) that it makes it more palatable having a recent copy.

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Raw Power is absolutely fantastic, one of the best punk records ever pressed. Niiiiiice find