Viper II w/W7 not fully starting

prowland

This is a strange one, when I hit the power button, I get power (the button lights up and 2 of the light icons above the touch-pad [the wireless one and one shaped like the F2 shape], and the fan starts)--but that is as far as the laptop goes. I tried taking the battery out, clearing any residuals by hitting the power button, and then putting the battery back in. I tried taking the battery out, clearing, and then starting with only the power cable attached. Still the same result, nothing. I just got this laptop! Please, tell me it is something easy to fix...please...

The only thing that I have changed is that I added 2 sticks of matched RAM...2x4 Gb...but it started, recognised the RAM, and ran perfectly. I think that the RAM and this are not related, but better to tell you all of the circumstances.

HELP!!!

Meds

When did you fit the new RAM? Do you still have the original RAM which came with the laptop?

prowland

I had put in the new RAM earlier that day. I do not have the original RAM installed, but I do have the stick. Is it a RAM issue? Should I put the original RAM back in?

Meds

It could be one of many things which is causing the LAptop to not post/give display, such as RAM, Graphics, Motherboard, CPU and so on. For the time being, I'd like you to put the RAM which originally came with the Laptop and remove all new RAM which you have fitted.

Let me know how you get on.

prowland

It could be one of many things which is causing the LAptop to not post/give display, such as RAM, Graphics, Motherboard, CPU and so on. For the time being, I'd like you to put the RAM which originally came with the Laptop and remove all new RAM which you have fitted.

Let me know how you get on.

Sorry about the delay in answering, I did switch back to the original RAM, and it started right up. I thought about this and endeavoured to test the new RAM. First, I added one of the new sticks. The computer started right up with it and the old stick. Then, I moved the tested stick to the spot vacated by the old RAM, and added the other new stick. Again, the computer started right up.

It is my guess that I had not gotten the new sticks firmly seated, and that is why it was not starting. Now that they are more firmly seated, the computer is working wonderfully.

Thank you for the help! I will be clicking on the REP star, because you certainly helped give me the insight that I needed.

Kind regards,

Paul

Meds

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear it's back up and running without any serious hardware faults. Any other problems, give us a shout :)