Virgin media broadband

keynes

Multiverse Poster
virgin.PNG
Anyone got it? I have my doubts.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Where is this? I can't find it anywhere on the website. 200 max.

If you want superfast then there is Hyperoptic (https://hyperoptic.com/) but it's not available in many places.

You need to have 200mbps (vivid) and once you have it you get the option to upgrade to 300mbps which I believe was offered before for businesses. I went ahead and will get it by Saturday with a new hub that supports new speed

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ah I see, I doubt I'd be offered it even if I had 200, they are over capacity in my area as it is and struggle for 10Mbps at peak times, poor for 100Mbps package. They have sorted us out with some reductions in bills which is ok I guess and it's fine during the day so I just download then.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Ah I see, I doubt I'd be offered it even if I had 200, they are over capacity in my area as it is and struggle for 10Mbps at peak times, poor for 100Mbps package. They have sorted us out with some reductions in bills which is ok I guess and it's fine during the day so I just download then.

Download speed average 220mbps upload speed between 15/25 Mbps from what I read. Will see tomorrow.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Nice, yeah let us know. The upload speed with Virgin is probably the worst part about them. Don't know about business packages but they offer no way of increasing upload speed even if you are willing to pay extra or get your download reduced. It's not really suitable for YouTubers or streamers. I'd probably stream if my upload limited me to 480p on Twitch.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Upload speed didn't increase by much. Without a wired connection download speed reaches around 180mbps

5344731212.png

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Holy moly! Do you reach around 40MB/s on say Steam for example? Or any other program that downloads a lot?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Holy moly! Do you reach around 40MB/s on say Steam for example? Or any other program that downloads a lot?

I haven't monitor downloads yet. I use it mostly for watching tv (apple tv, smart tv). I tried using the PS4 to check internet speed but it seems the hardware doesn't support speeds higher than 50 mbps. 5g is significantly faster than 2g.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I haven't monitor downloads yet. I use it mostly for watching tv (apple tv, smart tv). I tried using the PS4 to check internet speed but it seems the hardware doesn't support speeds higher than 50 mbps. 5g is significantly faster than 2g.

Yeah it is, but generally at the cost of poor wall penetration and shorter range. 2G is the more versatile so still used in a lot of devices.