Virgin Media gamer broadband package

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Worth it?

Suffice to say that today’s launch of the new VIVID 200Mbps Gamer package confirms that a 20Mbps upload speed has been adopted and that Virgin’s Traffic Management thresholds no longer apply (this includes its removal from uploads). However this appears to be a new package tier rather than an automatic upgrade.
http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/vivid-gamer.html

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Apparently you can play, stream gameplay and chat to your teammates, all at the same time.. That requires 20mb upload does it? ... Hmm...

Virgin only making a deal of this as their upload speeds have always been historically poor compared to FTTC providers.

That said, I'd still be with them if they supplied my new area, but they don't so hey ho.

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
They state speeds upto 20mbps, no guarantee your going to get it..............(I have the normal 200 vivid, and I do hit that level on occasions, average for me is 12-15Mbps)......So not for me, I'd want a guaranteed minimum (not an online gamer anyway)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
They state speeds upto 20mbps, no guarantee your going to get it..............(I have the normal 200 vivid, and I do hit that level on occasions, average for me is 12-15Mbps)......So not for me, I'd want a guaranteed minimum (not an online gamer anyway)

Are you affected by their traffic management? Do you feel the connection is slower during evenings? I have vivid 200 and switch from 300 as I did not get a noticeable difference.

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
Never been traffic managed (as far as I'm aware), and never see any speed difference whatever time of day. TBH, I'm not the heaviest of users, I only get the 200 due to being on the VIP package for the TV (sports & movies). Never had any speed issues either when I had the lower package (30-50Mbps).

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Never been traffic managed (as far as I'm aware), and never see any speed difference whatever time of day. TBH, I'm not the heaviest of users, I only get the 200 due to being on the VIP package for the TV (sports & movies). Never had any speed issues either when I had the lower package (30-50Mbps).

I had some issues when streaming movies. There are 4 active users at home and it is noticeable when speeds are slowing down not sure if it is the router prioritising the use actual traffic management. I may give it a go for a couple of weeks and see if there is an improvement.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm on 150 with Virgin. I would never go with anyone else to be honest, we're looking to move home and one of the stipulations is that I can get Virgin lol.

I don't think the Gamer package is worth it to be honest as I can't think of a time that a 20Mb upload would be required. I've never been below my listed 150mb/s down, in fact I'm often around the 160mb/s area. Most of the time people don't hit their suggested speed due to the wireless not being able to handle it or incorrectly setup at the router, wired should always manage it. Upload seems fine to me too, it doesn't often go above 10 but it's always around that.

My main criticism of Virgin with regards to their broadband is the way they previously sent out their routers (not sure about now) and the lack of understanding of the people who previously installed them. I've had to go round almost everyone in my family sorting out their router settings to make the most out of their Wifi.

Just ran this...

Edit:

Checked it on the Wifi too....

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wish I could get Virgin where I am. Paying £25 p/m with line rental for 38mbps and will be £35 in 6 months. While I could be getting 100 with Virgin for just a little more.

Spuff

Expert

This is 'normal' top service from Virgin, not gamer. I don't see that I would get any benefit from the gamer service.
I don't have any data restrictions.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
OMG, I would kill for that. It's almost worth moving just for fibre.

I had it then dropped back down to 150. It was a novelty more than anything, even the 150 is ridiculous but I like the 6Mb upload :D

I won't move into a home that doesn't have Virgin.

Amethyst

Silver Level Poster
Presumably you pay for regular broadband and not fibre?

To - Keynes & SlimCini,

i was probably A bit of a cheap skate it just broad band and i don't use 3or4G on my mobile due to cost.
I have to re think this for new compute but considering going to sky as new user with better perks and not have to pay a fee for getting it changed into my name.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's been a while since I looked, but the last time I did fibre optic was not really more expensive than regular broadband. The only catches seemed to be whether you can get fibre in your area (usually yes) and having a minimum 12 month contract.