Vortex 17.3 Laptop GPU Overheating

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

The other day, I was playing Overwatch and my laptop shut itself down due to reaching 90 degrees. I then decided to open up my laptop and clean the fans out and the vents for dust, which seemed to go pretty well. However, the issue still remains, where any game I play such as Overwatch, Gears of War 4, MGS (capping at 60FPS on lower graphic options) gives me high temperatures between 85-90 degrees (it used to be around 65-75 degrees).

Is there anything I can do to improve the temperatures? Any advice would be appreciated!

Here's a screenshot with my idle temperatures (GPU turned off):
OSV0ddd.jpg

Here's a screenshot with my temperatures while in-game (GPU turned on):
8uxgPjZ.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Your CPU temps are fine, it looks as if it's the graphics card that's overheating.

You could repaste the graphics chip, just need to pick up some good paste like MX4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

There are self help video's on you tube for repasting a chip.

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
Your CPU temps are fine, it looks as if it's the graphics card that's overheating.

You could repaste the graphics chip, just need to pick up some good paste like MX4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

There are self help video's on you tube for repasting a chip.
I re-pasted both my GPU and my CPU. While the CPU has improved in terms of lower temps, it's had little to no effect on my GPU. The only way to maintain a temp below 90 is to turn all of my in-game graphics down to Medium, where I used to play on Ultra with it being under 80 (max).

Any other suggestions? Or hardware components I should check?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I re-pasted both my GPU and my CPU. While the CPU has improved in terms of lower temps, it's had little to no effect on my GPU. The only way to maintain a temp below 90 is to turn all of my in-game graphics down to Medium, where I used to play on Ultra with it being under 80 (max).

Any other suggestions? Or hardware components I should check?

I would recheck the GPU pasting, you could have a bubble.

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
I would recheck the GPU pasting, you could have a bubble.

I re-pasted it just to be sure, making extra care to get just the right amount. I even re-cleaned my fans and removed additional dusts from the heat sinks, yet my temperatures seemed to increase even higher than before. I have to put my graphics on low just to keep my temperatures under 90 degrees at this point. Any other suggestions? I'm completely baffled at this point

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
It's got to the point where simply activating the GPU to look at its temperatures, causes it to rise from 30 degrees to around 55-58 degrees.

ObRvh9E.jpg

I'm absolutely confused right now on what to do, and it's not exactly ideal to have purchased a high-end GPU to only be able to play on low without it reaching 90 degrees.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's got to the point where simply activating the GPU to look at its temperatures, causes it to rise from 30 degrees to around 55-58 degrees.

View attachment 9668

I'm absolutely confused right now on what to do, and it's not exactly ideal to have purchased a high-end GPU to only be able to play on low without it reaching 90 degrees.

You've definitely plugged the gpu fan back in properly and it's activating?

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
You've definitely plugged the gpu fan back in properly and it's activating?
Yes. I ran my laptop without the bottom cover, and the fans definitely ran fine (I pushed FN + 1 to ensure they could operate at full speed, which seemed to work fine). I've thoroughly cleaned them to the point that they look brand new.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Yes. I ran my laptop without the bottom cover, and the fans definitely ran fine (I pushed FN + 1 to ensure they could operate at full speed, which seemed to work fine). I've thoroughly cleaned them to the point that they look brand new.

If you are sure the repasting job has been done correctly, I would do a thorough check on your pc for malware or anything like a bitcoin miner virus. Especially if idle temperatures go up that quickly. You might also want to do a complete removal of all Nvidia drivers (assuming you have an Nvidia card) and reinstall the latest ones. After downloading the new drivers, make sure the driver is fully gone (ie all registry entries etc) from the pc, and use something like ccleaner to remove any remaining files. Then install the latest driver on a clean system free of old Nvidia files. If you dont use Shadowplay, then I would suggest installing the drivers without geforce experience if you can still do this via a custom install.

Try various virus checkers such as malwarebytes and others to see if its a bitcoin virus or something similar first. You might also try a system restore if its a recent problem. Sometimes Windows files get corrupted and do some odd stuff in the background. Turn Xbox DVR off if you are using Windows 10 too. (google how, its pretty easy. )

Other than that if you are sure all steps have been taken well; you can only check the thermal pads are correctly installed on the gpu and you have tightened down the screws correctly on the gpu heatsink. Otherwise, there is a fault with the card.

If you do get it back to normal you would be wise to invest in a cooling pad for the laptop. They make a significant difference with Clevos design as the cool air is sucked in underneath and therefore can get blocked very easily on surfaces. Never use the laptop on something like a bed. Also pay attention to getting the fins of the heatsink very clean rather than the fans. When these are blocked with dust it causes more problems than the fan itself being dusty as the hot air cant escape. Although laptops get hot when at load, idle temperatures should be reasonable; and 55 degrees is too hot.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
If you are sure the repasting job has been done correctly, I would do a thorough check on your pc for malware or anything like a bitcoin miner virus. Especially if idle temperatures go up that quickly. You might also want to do a complete removal of all Nvidia drivers (assuming you have an Nvidia card) and reinstall the latest ones. After downloading the new drivers, make sure the driver is fully gone (ie all registry entries etc) from the pc, and use something like ccleaner to remove any remaining files. Then install the latest driver on a clean system free of old Nvidia files. If you dont use Shadowplay, then I would suggest installing the drivers without geforce experience if you can still do this via a custom install.

Try various virus checkers such as malwarebytes and others to see if its a bitcoin virus or something similar first. You might also try a system restore if its a recent problem. Sometimes Windows files get corrupted and do some odd stuff in the background. Turn Xbox DVR off if you are using Windows 10 too. (google how, its pretty easy. )

Other than that if you are sure all steps have been taken well; you can only check the thermal pads are correctly installed on the gpu and you have tightened down the screws correctly on the gpu heatsink. Otherwise, there is a fault with the card.

If you do get it back to normal you would be wise to invest in a cooling pad for the laptop. They make a significant difference with Clevos design as the cool air is sucked in underneath and therefore can get blocked very easily on surfaces. Never use the laptop on something like a bed. Also pay attention to getting the fins of the heatsink very clean rather than the fans. When these are blocked with dust it causes more problems than the fan itself being dusty as the hot air cant escape. Although laptops get hot when at load, idle temperatures should be reasonable; and 55 degrees is too hot.
Thank you for the detailed response! It's my day off from university, so I'll get around to trying all of these out. I'll update my post once I have to let you know how it turns out.

Again, thanks!

sturadders

Thank you for the detailed response! It's my day off from university, so I'll get around to trying all of these out. I'll update my post once I have to let you know how it turns out.

Again, thanks!

Did yours black screen and reboot after a hour or so of gameplay?