Vortex 17 3d model screen?

doombug

Hello!

I am posting this just for a simple clarification on the Vortex 17 3D model screen.
My question exactly... Does anyone know the exact manufacturer/serial for the 3d 120hz screen installed on this certain model? :)

P.S. When I go to the configurator and I press the "info" button (the circled question mark) it tells me that the display refresh rate is 60hz. This is not a 3d screen.
Can anyone clarify if this laptop model is sold without a 3d screen... and the only things 3d... is the 3d nvidia vision kit that is added to the price?

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the Vortex II 3D has sold out now, and no more stock is due in for approx 2 months. The screen is a 3D screen @ 120Hz - the 60Hz was a typo, sorry.

When the new models arrive they will be using the new GPUs.

doombug

Unfortunately the Vortex II 3D has sold out now, and no more stock is due in for approx 2 months. The screen is a 3D screen @ 120Hz - the 60Hz was a typo, sorry.

When the new models arrive they will be using the new GPUs.

New GPUs? :D Well I'm very excited because it means that the GTX 485m will be replaced by something newer... GTX 580m? :turned:

doombug

Will the base price for the Vortex 2 3d gtx 580m models be any different compared to the sold out Vortex 2 3d gtx 485m models?
If I recall correctly, the base price for the 3d models was around £1440. (3d vision kit included) :walkman:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The base price will be very similar. Stock is on order but not due until at least the end of September.

doombug

Roger that and thank you for the info so far!
I would appreciate a quick reply on this thread as soon as they become available. :tooth: (random emoticon hehe)

ninjasoar

Hi,
Today I called your support team, and they said that the new stocks of vortex II 3D will be available in the next week or two. Is that true, if it is please tell me how soon will the new GTX 580m 3D laptops be available for order.
NiNjasoar

doombug

This is highly likely, because the 580m became available just days after the official announcement. Now I'm not saying I know best... but, adding a 3d screen to the build doesn't take a long time IMO.
I do hope this is the case as I also want one so bad and usually they melt away like butter. :walkman:

ninjasoar

Yeah they are doing a very good job, so far they are the only ones offering 580m in UK. This will be my specification anyway: i7-2720QM; GTX580M; 8GB Kingston Hyper-X; 120GB Intel 510+ 500GB Scorpio Black; with Vortex II 3D Matte Screen, as soon as its available. What do you think?

doombug

Yeah they are doing a very good job, so far they are the only ones offering 580m in UK. This will be my specification anyway: i7-2720QM; GTX580M; 8GB Kingston Hyper-X; 120GB Intel 510+ 500GB Scorpio Black; with Vortex II 3D Matte Screen, as soon as its available. What do you think?

Well, your specs match mine almost 100% except for the SSD... probably going to opt for the 160, but I'm not sure if it is worth it though.
Matte Screen you say? I would definitely like that, but I haven't seen the option for a matte screen on the configurator, just glossy.
I know for sure that Kobalt offer matte screens on their builds. I would be really excited if PCS would also include them in their offer.

ninjasoar

Even I was considering Kobalt G170 3D, till I heard PCS are doing gtx580M. And yeah PCS are offering matte screen altleast in the non 3D version(Vortex II 17.3").
Do you mean Intel 320 series 160GB? well not sure I heard Intel 510 series is very good so I wanted one in my new laptop not a big difference though they always will be faster than HDD. For your reference: http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html..

doombug

Well, my choice stands between Intel 320 120GB or 160GB, but it seems that the Intel 320 160GB is very similar in price compared to the Intel 510 120GB. I also checked the benchies and the performance is signifficant, although I am not sure if it is worth it... What do you think? 320 160GB or 510 120GB?

ninjasoar

160G would be a good choice as you get +40G space for your software files, I guess that is your motive for buying a SSD. But performance wise and from people's reviews Intel 510 is very good. And it suits my requirements perfectly as all my game, software , OS files come around to a total of 70G hence 120G is all I need.
There is no major price difference in Intel 320@160G and Intel 510@120G. So I recommend Intel 510 120G, it performs good and I think 120G is more than enough space you'll ever use for programs.
Whereas for your data, pictures, music etc. buy a 7200rpm sata HDD and you'll be fine with that. :)

doombug

I'm used to telling myself that 120 is enough for OS and other programs I use, but you know how it is nowadays... One day you just wake up with your hands full. I just hope it won't be the case for the next 3-5 years, but who knows?

Anyways, thanks for the advice! If you have any other tips or anything, I have my ear on this thread. :)