Vortex 6

Rayz0

Hi all

Thinking of purchasing the Vortex 6 to the below spec. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the laptop as there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it.

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte 4K IPS LED Widescreen (3840x2160)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
64GB HyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DX 12.1, G-SYNC
FREE FOR HONOR or GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS with select GTX 10 Series GPUs!
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)

Your reviews would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Probably because not many can afford it and many people who can would go for a desktop anyway or a weaker laptop, since it's not very portable.

Dimensions (W x D x H)428mm x 308mm x 45mm
Weight4.8kg

If it's for gaming, you don't actually need more than 16gb RAM. Even 16gb is more than is necessary.

You might as well get a 1tb M.2 SSD and be done with it. I'd also get a 1TB WD Black HDD in the 1st HDD drive bay.

It's a shame that the 4k panel isn't a gsync screen and/or high refresh rate but at least the GPUs should have little trouble powering most games at 60fps cap on the screen.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Probably because not many can afford it and many people who can would go for a desktop anyway or a weaker laptop, since it's not very portable.

Dimensions (W x D x H)428mm x 308mm x 45mm
Weight4.8kg

Jethus Cwithe.jpg

That is way too heavy for laptop!

Rayz0

Thanks for the replys

I would normally have a desktop and spec so it lasts me a number of years but I have a daughter now so find having time to sit up stairs on a computer limited. Was thinking I could play most games downstairs and hook it up to a screen when I do get time for your fps style games.

I don't really require to take it any where but down stairs tbh

Will change the memory I thought I had reduced it.

Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Have you considered in-home streaming via steam? You can also stream non-steam games using steam. For that budget you could get a powerful gaming PC and a laptop you could game on downstairs. Since the host PC is doing the actual work for running the game, even a fairly weak laptop with a 4k screen should be able to handle it.

It wouldn't work out a great deal more expensive either, while being a better spec that could also be upgradable and would be easier to fix in the event of hardware failure / less vulnerable to glasses of water etc.

Vortex Spec ~£3660
OCed PC, 7700k OCed plus GTX 1080 SLI - £2920

I've found in-home streaming via steam to be absoluetely fine, though that was at 1080p ultra (Witcher 3, no visible loss of fidelity even in the blacks).
This seems like a reasonably informed discussion of 4k in-home streaming: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/385429254942357060/

I present it as an option anyway.

Rayz0

Have you considered in-home streaming via steam? You can also stream non-steam games using steam. For that budget you could get a powerful gaming PC and a laptop you could game on downstairs. Since the host PC is doing the actual work for running the game, even a fairly weak laptop with a 4k screen should be able to handle it.

It wouldn't work out a great deal more expensive either, while being a better spec that could also be upgradable and would be easier to fix in the event of hardware failure / less vulnerable to glasses of water etc.

Vortex Spec ~£3660
OCed PC, 7700k OCed plus GTX 1080 SLI - £2920

I've found in-home streaming via steam to be absoluetely fine, though that was at 1080p ultra (Witcher 3, no visible loss of fidelity even in the blacks).
This seems like a reasonably informed discussion of 4k in-home streaming: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/385429254942357060/

I present it as an option anyway.

Thank you for the info , will defo look in to this , would prefer a desktop and always wanted to build my own water cooled system. Paint the case etc

Do you think £1000 on the laptop and £3000 on the desktop ?

Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That sounds like the right kind of ballpark, though possibly somewhat more for the desktop if you're going for a liquid cooled one.