Vortex II overheating

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
I've had a Vortex II for about 10 months and have been very happy with it. Recently I've noticed the CPU temperature has been hitting 100C when gaming (Left 4 Dead 2 for instance). I assume this is bad? I've started to put fans on 100% and using a laptop cooler which helps just a couple of degrees.

Do you think I should apply some new cooling paste? If so, can anyone recommend one? Arctic mx4? Is it fairly easy and safe for someone with no experience to do this? Specs are below.

Thanks for any tips!

Vortex II 17" | 2.20Ghz i7-2720QM | 8Gb RAM | 2Gb AMD Radeon HD 6990M | 120Gb Intel 510 SSD | 750Gb WD HD

Dyce101

I had the same problem myself a while ago and it was due to the heat sink being full of dust and reducing the air flow. The best thing to do is take off the cover on the base of the laptop, it has 4 screws. Once you take it off you will have better access to the heat sinks and fans. I used a can of air to blow out the dust but if you don't have then then a hover would do. I'm sure after you clean the heat sinks your temps will be back to normal.

Last edited: