Vortex III Enduro fixed?

PlasticTastic

Bronze Level Poster
I'm on the verge of ordering my laptop and I'm still deciding between the 680m and the 7970m. If I get the 7970m I'd be able to afford an mSSD as well which I would adore, and 16GB of RAM instead of 8. However I have seen reports of Enduro issues completely crippling the gaming capabilities laptop, which will be my main use (Amongst others). I know it's probably a simple driver issue, but surely it should've been fixed by now? I've been a nVidia user for ages, and have never been let down, so switching to AMD a bit off-putting if they can't fix a simple driver issue after months of problems. I also know it's a Clevo problem, not being allowed to disable it, however I read
If I was ordering now I'd be seriously considering Vortex III extreme especially as it won't suffer the Enduro issues newer Clevo units have with a single 7970M and Enduro graphics switching.
And was wondering if this applied only to the Extreme or the standard Vortex III?

Thanks!

brukin

Silver Level Poster
Only to the extreme, from what I've read Crossfire (and SLI) setups don't support graphics switching as there would then be complications between the IGP and the 2 discrete GPUs. It's still an issue for single configuration 7970Ms on the Clevo chassis since the motherboard implementation doesn't support disabling the Enduro graphics switching. I haven't looked into this much since I ordered my 680M though so matters may have changed. But given that AMD haven't released anything and the card has now been out in peoples Clevos for 3+ months I couldn't bring myself to order the 7970M. I actually cancelled an order with one and placed another with the 680M. Dunno if you have seen this article (at Anandtech)yet. It's the most recent tech community recognition of the problems and details a future Enduro 5.5 that might also include a fix.

From the comments of the article:
AMD official information, FINALLY! by Vozier on Thursday, September 13, 2012
FINALLY the official news we all waited for

Originally Posted by Marc@AMD
I want to thank all those users that have been patient in this matter, and peristent in providing helpful information and feedback to the community.

We have received some positive news from the Driver Development Team. A driver is planned to be released in the near future that will provide significant improvements to notebooks enabled withAMD Enduro™ Technology.

Please stay tuned to our support.amd.com site for the driver posting.

Source: AMD Game Forums - The Clevo 7970M Enduro/under-utilization debacle

Last edited:

PlasticTastic

Bronze Level Poster
Hmmm... :/ Still leaves me undecided. I'm also liking the whole PhysX thing, so I think I may have to stick with nVidia. Thanks though!