Vortex III - Finance Accepted, and away we go!

marvir

Enthusiast
Ordered online and applied for finance today, accepted almost instantly, now I just have to post the papers and I'm good to go.

Here's the spec which will be using it for gaming, 3d and graphic applications (Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, etc)

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BC-5550H 4x BLURAY COMBO DRIVE & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£59)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6230 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC3000S Ultimate Cooler, 220mm fan, upto 17.3inch (£35)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

Just gotta print off and post the papers quick, I want to make sure I get the laptop before the last week of May as I'm going home for a holiday and will need to complete some course work while away. There's a couple of parts that's not available at the moment so I couldn't order on Fast Track, so I'll just give the guys at PCS an email and ask them to put my order on Fast Track once all the parts are to ensure I get mine quick.

I'll be updating this as I go as a sort of ongoing status review of sorts. Can't wait!

Last edited:

marvir

Enthusiast
Actually, does anyone have any input about the new Ivy Bridges? It's hard with them being so new.. Value for money, performance increase, etc with the 3610QM vs 3820QM? I'm assuming the jump from the 3610QM to the 3720QM wouldn't be very worth the price, so I'm looking at a significant upgrade, but also a significant price increase. Budget-wise, I'm happy with where I am, but if the performance difference would be huge, and the majority think the price is worth it, then I would definitely consider upgrading.

marvir

Enthusiast
...I can do that?

They did ask for more information -- a pay slip from my current employment. I guess I could just scan that as well and send it in.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look it up. All I ever saw was "now all you have to do is print and sign and post it to us."

edit: I've just checked, and there doesn't seem to be an option to e-sign it, only 2 which are either a link to print it myself or for them to post me my contract. Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:

marvir

Enthusiast
Ordered: 01/05/2012
Finance approved my laptop for dispatch: 03/05/2012
Status changed to: Processing

Emailed PCS about getting the Fast Track delivery as soon as they receive all the parts, so they could hopefully put my laptop together with what's available now and the rest would go quick once stocks come in. At the moment it seems they're awaiting stock for the 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT and the GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6230. Here's hoping they all come soon!

Will update this with each change that happens.

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
very nice spec, am tempted to go for a laptop, but still waitin for desktop to arrive :)

Last edited:

marvir

Enthusiast
very nice spec, am tempted to go for a laptop, but still waitin for desktop to arrive :)

Thanks! I actually wish my situation would allow me a desktop, because of the price of this thing, the desktop I could get would give me so much more in terms of value for money, unfortunately, I move around too much to attempt to lug one around.

Amended the order: Upgraded to 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB), so +£40 there, as I can't Fast Track my order (to make any difference really).

I'm now on the 7th working day and still in pre-production. Having a hard time with the wait. I know this too well, but I do need this laptop more now, and soon. I called PCS yesterday, and they said around middle of next week. Here's hoping it's accurate, as I still have quite a bit to do with it, transferring loads of files, redownloading a lot of stuff and reinstalling loads of programs before I go abroad.

Updates:
Now on: 7th working day
Status changed to: Pre-production, 08/05/2012

marvir

Enthusiast
Called PCS yesterday and they said they expect my order to go into building today.. Got an email just now that "Your order has now been built and is awaiting testing and configuration."

Woohoo!

..although on my order page it says "building" though, not testing, so I'll just assume it is still in building til I give PCS a call later to confirm and arrange for a fast track. Hope to get my laptop before Wednesday next week.

Mike93L

Mine went into building yesterday and testing today. It was dispatched today not on fast track so yours will prob be dispatched today/Monday. :)

marvir

Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with them as well, and they said it should go into testing today or Monday, and will hopefully dispatch on Monday as you said. Awesome.. I gotta save all the money I can. Long as it gets to me by Tuesday/Wednesday I'll be happy.

Congrats on yours!

marvir

Enthusiast
Today will be a hard wait.. I'm hoping to see my laptop fly though building into testing into QC then awaiting dispatch.. At least that's what the guy I talked to on Friday said. Really do hope it goes though to get it tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. Anything later than that and I'll start sweating bullets haha.

marvir

Enthusiast
Officially gone into testing at roughly 16:20 today.. Looking good, hopefully be dispatched within the next 2 days.

Shout out to (shucks not quite sure on the name) Jack Turner is it(?) from Live Support.. He said he'd make sure I get my build in time without crossing my fingers!

marvir

Enthusiast
Awaiting dispatch now. Can't wait!

Production Dates
Processed Date 03-05-2012
Pre-Production Date 08-05-2012
Build Date 18-05-2012
Test Date 21-05-2012
Awaiting Dispatch Date 22-05-2012
Dispatch Date 22-05-2012

Who Worked on This Order?
Built By Ben Alderson
Tested By Carl Auckland
QC'd By Carl Auckland
Packed By Aiden Ramsden

Edit: Wow, it's now been dispatched.. Looks like I'll be looking at the tracking company now more than anything. Handle with care guys. Woohoo!

Last edited: