Vortex III Keyboard Problem

Tom DWC

Here's an odd one, wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Basically I don't use the laptop much anymore because I'm commuting a lot and it's not ideal for that (I was actually in the process of getting it ready for a mate who wants to buy it when this happened).

It's been going on for quite some time but I put it down to a Windows 8 compatibility issue. What happens is the keyboard either won't work at all, or essentially has a mind of its own, responding as if a key is being held down or the arrow keys are being pressed, constantly. The left and right click seem to be affected too, the only thing that seems to work normally is the touch pad (but not the click input). It's completely random (though always when I first boot it up) and after a period of time and lots of reboots, eventually stops.

Anyway I reinstalled 7 after sorting it out last time and thought that was the end of it, but just booted it up today and it's happening again (at least there's no password now, trying to get past that screen was a nightmare). This is with the laptop not having been used in almost a week - it seems to happen after it's been switched off for a few days. But it's getting more and more frequent.

It does seem to be a hardware issue because when it's not working pressing F2 won't access the BIOS screen - so it still happens before loading the OS.

I'm thinking it's either a connection problem or mobo issue (really hope not) but yeah any other ideas before I look into a repair? Obviously can't let it go in this state.

Cheers.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Tom,

To rule out it being anything else other than the hardware keyboard i would connect it to a USB keyboard and check the fail rate in comparison.

The keyboard is easly replaced i think, you remove the speaker panel then a few screws, the keyboards are available through the spare parts page on the upgrade section, i have a vortex 2 and there £10, not sure about the 3 think there illuminated.

This video may help you i hope, perhaps just a loose connection.

[video=youtube;IMID8L8Yru0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMID8L8Yru0[/video]

Tom DWC

Hey Tom,

To rule out it being anything else other than the hardware keyboard i would connect it to a USB keyboard and check the fail rate in comparison.

The keyboard is easly replaced i think, you remove the speaker panel then a few screws, the keyboards are available through the spare parts page on the upgrade section, i have a vortex 2 and there £10, not sure about the 3 think there illuminated.

This video may help you i hope, perhaps just a loose connection.

[video=youtube;IMID8L8Yru0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMID8L8Yru0[/video]

Hey,

Cheers for the vid. :)

Yeah it works fine with a USB keyboard, and left it on for half an hour and gone back to it - it's working just fine now. It does seem really bizarre in that sense, it'll keep working now until it's powered off for a period of time again.

Good to know the keyboards aren't too expensive - I was getting the feeling it was more likely a connection/mobo issue rather than a mechanical issue just cause once it starts working the keys themselves function perfectly. Though after looking at that vid I guess it could be a connector within the unit - I didn't realise it was sealed off like that.

Tom DWC

Playing up again today after just the one night, does seem to be getting a lot easier to replicate.

Did have a chat with tech support yesterday. I'll try refitting the keyboard this weekend when I'm home and have some tools but I also noticed this morning the speakers were popping and crackling on boot (it did that yesterday too) and that also stopped once it started working normally.

Getting a bad feeling it's the mobo. :(

But at least I'm not reliant on it as a full time machine anymore, can take some time trying to sort it out.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hmm, yeah i see your concern, if the speakers are playing up to perhaps it is something more. Lets just hope its a coincidence. Perhaps the keyboard is causing the speakers to play up too. Fingers crossed.