Vortex III woes

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
So I try turning my trusty 8 year old Vortex III beast on this evening. Power light comes on, the wifi light comes on, the fans whir loudly for about 60 seconds but nothing ever happens then the whole thing stays booted off.

Is this finally curtains for my old trusty? Does this sound like something that could be fixed easily?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I try turning my trusty 8 year old Vortex III beast on this evening. Power light comes on, the wifi light comes on, the fans whir loudly for about 60 seconds but nothing ever happens then the whole thing stays booted off.

Is this finally curtains for my old trusty? Does this sound like something that could be fixed easily?
Couple of things we can try before committing it to silicon heaven:

worth resetting the CMOS, you’ll have to take the back off and find the cmos battery, then just remove it for a minute and slot it back in. Even better if you can get a new one to swap it out with, you can pick them up in supermarkets nowadays or at least Sainsbury’s definitely stocks them usually, or amazon of course.

SlimCini

Couple of things we can try before committing it to silicon heaven:

worth resetting the CMOS, you’ll have to take the back off and find the cmos battery, then just remove it for a minute and slot it back in. Even better if you can get a new one to swap it out with, you can pick them up in supermarkets nowadays or at least Sainsbury’s definitely stocks them usually, or amazon of course.
Just did that. Left it out for about half an hour. Turned it on. Same thing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Both

Both
Hmmm, in my non-expert opinion, I would guess it may be related to motherboard failure.

Reason is:

1. if it’s happening plugged in that’s one thing, but if it’s happening on battery as well, that’s bypassing the PSU input and so rules out the power supply (I think).
2. Clearing CMOS is a good thing to try in circumstances like this although I don’t know exactly why, but had no effect.
3. I think if it were any internal component like RAM or GPU, it would at least get to post and then throw an error code.

SlimCini

Hmmm, in my non-expert opinion, I would guess it may be related to motherboard failure.

Reason is:

1. if it’s happening plugged in that’s one thing, but if it’s happening on battery as well, that’s bypassing the PSU input and so rules out the power supply (I think).
2. Clearing CMOS is a good thing to try in circumstances like this although I don’t know exactly why, but had no effect.
3. I think if it were any internal component like RAM or GPU, it would at least get to post and then throw an error code.
This actually makes me sad. I still remember waiting at work to take delivery of it. Eight friggin years. Just at the weird moment in time where I can't justify spending loads of money of a new one when the future is slightly up in the air financially.

Will have to make do with my work laptop with a 5 year old slow clocked i5 in it and an SSHD. :mad:

polycrac

Rising Star
1584696183718.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another guy with same issue with a possible work around: