Vortex IV Elite SE

LewiG123

Hey guys and girls.

So I've decided it's time to move on from console gaming into the world of PC's.
I decided on a laptop as budgeting wasn't a huge issue and prefer the convenience as many of us do,
so I've built something up with the advice of a friend and just wanted to get some general opinions of the ordered build
and just some general tips for how to maintain a gaming laptop/general laptop/gaming advice?

Thanks in advance.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (1 x 8GB) Most likely to upgrade at a later date
Graphics Card: 2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk: 240GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk: 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY (12.7mm) Got a spare 500gb HD to place
Memory Card Reader: Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ASUS™: XONAR-U7 Compact 7.1 USB soundcard and headphone amplifier
Bluetooth & Wireless: GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options: 4 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery: Vortex Elite 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,800 mAh/89.21WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor: 1 x UK Power Lead & 330W AC Adaptor
Warranty: 3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Is it just for gaming? I would go with a single gtx 980m rather than SLI. You may want to consider changing the SSD since the v300 suffers from performance issues

LewiG123

Essentially for gaming, possibly a few other bits and bobs, nothing else extreme though, just soft things like photo editing.
What's the advantage to a single 980 over 880 sli? Other than the obvious lack of SLI compatibility in a lot of cases.

Hadn't heard a lot about the v300 issues either? But there's not a lot that I know in all honesty, I'm mainly going from friendly recommendations.
Laptop's already been ordered but open to suggestions as after a few more payday's things may change about.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Less heat, more portable as well. I believe to run sli you may need 2 power adapters or a big power supply.

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
You only need two power supply units for the Omega 2 as it uses a desktop cpu. The vortex 4 elite se is the best choice out of the two sli capable laptops as it's three fans keep the laptop cool at high load and it is quiet compared to some other laptops that only have one gpu including the new msi gt72. Check out the price of the dual 970m's, they are more powerful than the dual 880m's.

mrducking

Bright Spark
if you really want a SLI system you should go for a x2 gtx 970m instead of the gtx 880m, it's cheaper and also better performance

EDIT: i just realized i dont know if you can do x2 gtx 970m on the vortex elite se

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
You can choose from dual 860m's, 880m's, 970m's or 980m's. The 970m in Sli is the best choice.

LewiG123

Thanks for the feedback ELL4EVER, had a bit of a roughabout choice between 880's and 970's, in all honesty wasn't sure why I went for the 880's over the 970's but again it's a bit late to sort that now. If I ever choose to swap-about parts it'd probably be a bit later on. All in all the Vortex was the best option then?

mrducking

Bright Spark
Thanks for the feedback ELL4EVER, had a bit of a roughabout choice between 880's and 970's, in all honesty wasn't sure why I went for the 880's over the 970's but again it's a bit late to sort that now. If I ever choose to swap-about parts it'd probably be a bit later on. All in all the Vortex was the best option then?

yep, performance wise you have close to the best system you can buy :)

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
I'm sorry but won't this rig cost you an arm and a leg?

Do you really want SLI? The 980m alone has very good benchmarks on its own.
970m seems to be slightly better than 880m so if you really wish to have SLI go for 970m. It's cheaper too!

LewiG123

I'm sorry but won't this rig cost you an arm and a leg?

Do you really want SLI? The 980m alone has very good benchmarks on its own.
970m seems to be slightly better than 880m so if you really wish to have SLI go for 970m. It's cheaper too!

It essentially cost just under £2000 which was around my budget. I know a single 980 would be good but I wanted it to last so got advised to SLI. As for the 970's I probably lucked out a bit but the difference isn't too huge.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
View attachment cpu and gpu benchmarks.pdf

I ve done bit of research on 3dmark to see where the 980m sli sits in comparison to other build configs worth a look will add a 970m sli to see. no 970m sli data on 3d mark yet.

View attachment cpu and gpu benchmarks 2.pdf

ok found the 970 sli but unknown cpu

Looking at the data it appears a powerful cpu does bump up the performance in some tests I recommend if you have steam buying 3d mark or doing the research your self at this web site:

http://www.3dmark.com/search

Last edited:

TomB

I am currently waiting for a Vortex elite se with 970m in sli and asked the question on lead times a day or two ago, the reply was that the 970m won't be in until 3rd December, 980m in early to mid November.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
I am currently waiting for a Vortex elite se with 970m in sli and asked the question on lead times a day or two ago, the reply was that the 970m won't be in until 3rd December, 980m in early to mid November.

I ve ordered the 980m sli, I desire performance power mostly will be looking into buying a 4k desktop screen for my home office in time will see the 970m sli looks pretty good in the benchmark comparisons.