vortex IX 4k completely freeze/crash

itburnz

hey, I recently bought a vortex IX 4k laptop and when on battery power it crashes frequently locking up the whole system, everything freezes, cannot move the mouse, ctrl alt del or anything only a clean restart by holding the power button restores windows. sometimes the audio will go on a full loop but not always

I also less frequently am getting blue screen crashes too

I decided to take to event viewer and I am receiving a "critical kernel-power. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." also there are the same two files which seem to load up prior to the crash "FileCrypt" and "npsvctrig"

reading online a few other people seem to have the same problem, the top two files load then their whole systems crash

battery power does not matter, the crash happens at any stage of battery life. I am 90% sure the crashes only happen when on battery power not plugged in however am unsure what the fault could be.

a person online claims to have resolved it by trying a windows 10 debloater power shell script however I have not tried this

does anyone have any thoughts

Last edited:

itburnz

intel xtu states core voltage offset -0.050v which I believe is stock as ive made no changes at all to voltages

ordered with windows 10 professional installed with a backup download on my online account

with the main frequent freezing there is no bsod, just complete freeze

the odd far less frequent time I get bsod I think the error codes were either nvidia or intel but generally cant remember them

I have reinstalled both drivers

I wonder why its always the same two activities starting up in event viewer right when the crash happens

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
First off the event id 41 is a red herring. All that tells you is that Windows did not shut down properly - it doesn't tell you why.

As for the two files you noticed; filecrypt.sys I'm not immediately familiar with, but it's a driver filter which research suggests is related to the new 'sandboxing' feature in Windows 10 Pro 1903. Driver filters interface between driver modules and the kernel to intercept and modify the drivers actions. A freeze/crash when loading filecrypt.sys might indicate a problem with the driver coming before or after the filter.

Npsvctrig.sys is also a driver filter and this one is the Net Pipe Service Trigger. As with filecrypt.sys it interfaces between drivers and the kernel, so a freeze/crash when loading npsvctrig.sys might also indicate a problem with the driver coming before or after the filter.

All told I think the clues you've identified (and nice work spotting those) suggest that you have a driver issue. Only a minidump can tell us which driver (and even then the dump might be inconclusive so don't sweat trying to generate one) so your best course of action is to check that all drivers are up to date.

I see that you ordered it with Windows 10 Pro installed, so all drivers should have been installed properly, but a Windows Update could have since updated drivers. Have a look at your update history, are there any driver updates listed there (look in the Drivers section)? If there were any recent driver updates, uninstall that update and see whether the problem disappears.

You could also start Windows in Safe Mode as a quick test. Safe mode only installs essential drivers and no filters so if it's stable in safe mode it's almost certainly a driver issue.

itburnz

I am to assume windows 10 should have windows defender installed? I try to open it but it appears nothing is there

I can not access windows update as well, crashes when searching for updates and cannot view other links such as view past updates without the tab freezing, I believe other settings work fine though

I ran a system restore recently, seems to be the same time this new windows update problem is happening however the system freeze was already happening before

I think time to download the recovery from my account and attempt a repair since the command prompt claims some system files are corrupt

I ran an sfc /scannow in admin command prompt which is giving lots of windows defender management powershell errors in the data log located c/windows/logs/cbs

there is another folder in windows logs cbs called filterlist which lists about 8 files 2 of which are the ones loading up in event viewer before the system freeze

I also ran a hard drive chkdsk, spent about 12 minutes fixing something then booted into windows normally so no problems there I would guess

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am to assume windows 10 should have windows defender installed? I try to open it but it appears nothing is there

I can not access windows update as well, crashes when searching for updates and cannot view other links such as view past updates without the tab freezing, I believe other settings work fine though

I ran a system restore recently, seems to be the same time this new windows update problem is happening however the system freeze was already happening before

I think time to download the recovery from my account and attempt a repair since the command prompt claims some system files are corrupt

I ran an sfc /scannow in admin command prompt which is giving lots of windows defender management powershell errors in the data log located c/windows/logs/cbs

there is another folder in windows logs cbs called filterlist which lists about 8 files 2 of which are the ones loading up in event viewer before the system freeze

I also ran a hard drive chkdsk, spent about 12 minutes fixing something then booted into windows normally so no problems there I would guess
Better to do a clean install from an image direct from MS, it will be up to date.

itburnz

attempting a reset first, resetting windows settings back to normal but keeping personal files to see if that allows windows update to work again

Performing a reset seems to have given me back access to windows update and windows defender

reinstalling updates now, currently attempting cumulative update 1903 kb4512508

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
attempting a reset first, resetting windows settings back to normal but keeping personal files to see if that allows windows update to work again

Performing a reset seems to have given me back access to windows update and windows defender

reinstalling updates now
That might not be wise. A 'reset, may well have the same problems because you're using the same source media. You will get a much more reliable and stable system by booting installation media which you can download from Microsoft.

Sent using Tapatalk

itburnz

still seem to be having some problems. have found out that the freeze can also happen when plugged in as well.

am receiving a problem with booting the laptop too. Sometimes I receive the style note logo however it will not load the hard drive, just sits on style note with no messages or anything. restarting usually fixes this however a new problem has arised in which booting I receive something along the lines of "unable to detect boot device" I think in a purple/pink message box again restarting seems to fix it however am unsure why this problem is happening as dont seem to be having any performance issues with any of my components as far as I know.

I could run a windows 10 memory check however has in the past been very unreliable. Had an old pc which all tabs would crash within minutes and computer would hang, memory checker said memory is fine however buying new ram problem fixed completely

I also sometimes receive a bsod. im pretty certain the fault shown was nvlddmkm.sys on the bsod report however looking at the dump file it states caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe, caused by address ntoskrnl.exe1bfcc0. looking in event viewer the same events are loading up prior to the blue screen the same as when the system freezes without any blue screen at all. around the lines of "harddisk04 is healthy" "filecrypt" "npsvctrig" then the kernel critical power error

I am thinking the system freeze and bsod could be being caused by either the same problem or a very similar problem in nature

perhaps the windows 10 numlock fix registry I loaded up from my drivers section may be conflicting with something.

I note after using windows update my fn keys for brightness would not work, going into device manager had to do a further intel graphics update which windows update could not seem to find which allowed my brightness keys to work. nvidia driver is what windows update chooses to do so that is left alone

I do not know whether this is a hardware or driver problem only that other people online have had similar problems with this with the same event viewer logs with windows 10

I wonder about the compatibility between the new samsung 4k amoled displays, the graphics drivers and windows 10 might be a problem there possibly. im running the gtx 1660 ti. I do receive the green artifacts others report with the 4k display, sometimes when switching between programs, sometimes upon booting too

in short the problems would be:

two boot problems, one being a freeze on style note logo, the other cannot detect boot device, happens very frequently
system freeze, doesnt happen as frequently
bsod with kernel driver problem however sometimes displaying different driver faults, event viewer seems to be same when I get system freeze problem, bsod doesnt happen frequently
I also have a speaker problem in which the right speaker sometimes vibrates on the chassis creating distortion, I would assume can be fixed by inserting something there to dull the contact causing vibration. at first thought a blown speaker however pressing slightly firmly on the chassis where vibration happens dulls the vibration completely or almost completely meaning its a contact vibration of the chassis

side note - the speakers on this laptop are good for anyone whos wondering, nice and can go very loud not much base however mids and highs decently presented, not thin imo I am surprised by how loud they can go and have a liveliness to them for laptop speakers and further customizable by the sound blaster pro gaming 360 software which can provide lots of options including increasing the base a bit however does not need to be used to get good audio. I do use logitech surround sound z906's and sennheiser headphones though generally of course :p

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I strongly suspect that all of your problems may be solved by a clean reinstall of Windows. It looks to me as though you may have several Windows issues, one thing that leaps out at me is this....

perhaps the windows 10 numlock fix registry I loaded up from my drivers section may be conflicting with something.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'loaded up from my drivers section' but it's not wise to mess with the registry unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

The BSOD you mention is for your graphics driver (nvlddmkm.sys is the Nvidia graphics driver). The reason ntoskrnl.exe is mentioned in the Event Viewer is because that's the main Windows kernel and driver issues are often not detected until the kernel gets control back. If it were not for all the other niggles you have I'd suggest removing and reinstalling the Nvidia driver, but in your case you really need a resinstall.

Download the Windows media creation tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and use that to create a bootable USB stick (8GB minimum) containing the Windows install files. Boot that USB stick, choose a custom install, delete all four UEFI partitions (MSR/Reserved, EFI/Boot, Recovery, Windows), select the 'unallocated space' that results and click the Next button. The installer will create new partitions and install Windows. Once Windows is installed run the Out Of Box Experience (language setting, region setting, userid, etc. etc.) and then immediately run Windows Update. Run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. Reboot when asked. This will install all necessary drivers (check Device Manager to be sure) and give you the cleanest most stable software platform you can get.

See how things run in that state. :)

Last edited: