Vortex IX first look

darbyjack

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,

Have you noticed any artifacting on the screen when booting up or launching certain programs? Thanks

Hi there,

Have you noticed any artifacting on the screen when booting up or launching certain programs? Thanks
Nope. No problems whatsoever, a very fast 144hz screen so far :)

Myself and darbyjack both have the same 4K monitor and experience a very odd "flickering" when the monitor changes resolutions when switching between full-screen applications.

In my personal experience (over the last few days of ownership), I've noticed that the monitor may sometimes fail to re-energise and I will need to close->open the laptop lid and/or force a change of resolution back to the desktop [from the application] by using ctrl+alt+del.

I've just updated my Intel graphics drivers and will re-test it later.

ixende

Bronze Level Poster
Myself and darbyjack both have the same 4K monitor and experience a very odd "flickering" when the monitor changes resolutions when switching between full-screen applications.

In my personal experience (over the last few days of ownership), I've noticed that the monitor may sometimes fail to re-energise and I will need to close->open the laptop lid and/or force a change of resolution back to the desktop [from the application] by using ctrl+alt+del.

I've just updated my Intel graphics drivers and will re-test it later.

Have you tested it in discrete mode (intel graphics disabled)? Theres an option for it in bios. Mine is a 1080p so I cant really help you with a 4k display

Have you tested it in discrete mode (intel graphics disabled)? Theres an option for it in bios. Mine is a 1080p so I cant really help you with a 4k display

Hmm.. I can't find that feature in the BIOS. Just had a rummage through the options, it's fairly limited!

markh

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I've posted this in a similar thread but thought it worth posting here too so you have a better chance of seeing it.

I was just looking at a forum for owners of the Clevo chassis the Vortex is based on as I'm considering buying it.

Link is here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-pb5xexx-g-owners-lounge.826810/page-75

On the page I linked to someone from another reseller says that the OLED version only works in Optimus mode - I wonder if this might be the source of the flickering problem DarbyJack and TheNameIsJambo are experiencing.

Mark

artox

Hi,

I'm interested in adquiring this laptop and I have a couple of doubts about the bios.

- Is there an option to select which graphics card to use: integraded intel graphics or nvidia (discrete mode)?
- Is there any option integrated in the bios to configure the fans?
- Is there any option integrated in the bios to overclock/underclock CPU, memory and/or GPU without additional software in the OS?

Thanks

ixende

Bronze Level Poster
- Is there an option to select which graphics card to use: integraded intel graphics or nvidia (discrete mode)?
Mentioned a couple of posts back yes there is a discrete gpu mode

- Is there any option integrated in the bios to configure the fans?
Nope use clevo control centre

- Is there any option integrated in the bios to overclock/underclock CPU, memory and/or GPU without additional software in the OS?
You probably didnt read my first few posts.
There is a memory overclock. Using ddr multiplier
Laptop cpus 'H' series are all locked cpus no overclocking whether in bios or software.
AFAIK GPU overclocking isnt allowed in BIOS, there is no frequency control. Use MSI afterburner for GPU.

artox

Thanks Ixende!

What about undervolt? It is required clevo control center to do it or it is possible to do inside the BIOS?

itburnz

I believe my vortex with 4k display gtx 1660 ti comes with a -50 undervolt by default. i am curious of anyone elses undervolt with the same machine, I would presume it would be the same

have seen people change to -100 undervolt however my temps are alright for now

am I correct that it is the core voltage offset and cache voltage offset you use to check the voltage in intel xtu?

gpu selection can be chosen in clevo control centre "right click from bottom right icon to get that setting"
fan control and gpu overclocking is also done in the clevo control centre

with the 4k display there is no option for me in the BIOS to choose between gpus although in the booklet it says there should be

as others have mentioned with the 4k screen there is artifacting sometimes when booting up or switching between programs, mine displays green artifacting however doesnt occur often

could anyone with the vortex load up dxdiag and tell me what their bios version is. mine says 1.07.07

Pullaggro

I received my Vortex last week and use Throttlestop to undervolt. Mine also came with a default -50 undervolt, however reading a thread somewhere else someone also had a vortex and they undervolted to -135 and that's what i've done myself and had no crashes at all.

Still seem to get fairly high temperatures though. I use both a cooling stand and the undervolt and i've been playing Borderlands 2 on it (ahead of the release of borderlands 3 soon!) and core temperatures still max out around 80 or so. Similarly i've also played League of Legends a bit and getting about the same if not maybe slightly lower temperatures.

I'm not home at my laptop right now but I can check later.

McNutter

There are newer EC's and BIOS's available. EC_1.07.10TRC1 and Bios BIOS_1.07.12RTR2 are the latest. I've flashed them successfully on my Vortex IX. check this thread:

**removed as links to other builders BIOS"

I do get an XMG logo during boot now instead of the Stylenote one though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ixende

Bronze Level Poster
There are newer EC's and BIOS's available. EC_1.07.10TRC1 and Bios BIOS_1.07.12RTR2 are the latest. I've flashed them successfully on my Vortex IX. check this thread:

I do get an XMG logo during boot now instead of the Stylenote one though.
The respective reps say its fine to cross vendor update BIOS. Not really necessary but you can do it at own risk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@McNutter I've had to remove the link as it links to other builders bios'.

For any BIOS update on a PCS build you need to contact PCS to retain warranty.

McNutter

OK, no problem Spydertracks.

Tried some tweaks to the memory that might help others with the same machine:

Default 2667MHz (133x10)x2 = 38GB's memory bandwidth
Better (overclock) 2993MHz (133x11)x2 42GB's memory bandwidth
Best (overclock) 3000MHZ (15x10)x2 43GB's memory bandwidth

All done with the default timings and voltage.

Anyone else have any tips / tweaks they care to share?