Votex III Review #2

Benadiction

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I did write this a few days ago at the back end of my thread I started when I first ordered my Vortex III, don't think people have found it though so I've moved it here. :)

What an epic saga it’s been! 32 working days of email checking, forum scrolling and finger tapping fun. I am and have been extremely impressed with PCS the whole way though, I’m especially blown away by their impeccable customer service skills, something I fear is lacking terribly in todays society. Well it finally arrived today at bang on 13:30 when DPD said it would, despite me having run in’s with them in the past, the delivery guy Luke even called me just before he got there to make sure I didn’t miss him. Can’t fault any of the delivery process in any way shape or form. It’s been a long 6 weeks and my only gripe with PCS is that I only received one email about the status of my build during the waiting period, though I’m sure they were just as in the dark as I was so not a big deal. As that’s my only bad point then I can happily give 5 stars for my overall customer experience.

Right, right, right I’ll get on with what you actually want to hear. I haven’t even got to the laptop yet and I can already tell from the way everything was packaged that I clearly have a quality product inches away from my fingertips. I don’t want to seem like a fan boy already but “BOOM” what a machine, booted straight away, ready to go immediately with nothing to set up other than the activation of Windows. Considering it only took the guys hours to build, test, QC and package, I must admit I was apprehensive about possible issues. NONE! Whatsoever, a very happy man indeed, runs smooth and fast and boots in less then 12 seconds. The whole system runs no louder than you would expect a high performance notebook to run, baring in mind that I pressed Fn+1 to max out all the fans, combined with my Zalman cooling stand also on max. Speaking of which the Zalman stand is outstanding, I have another notebook cooler on my other laptop as you will see in the pics, I thought that was good but the Zalman even puts that to shame. I received all the discs I would need to do a clean install myself, all neatly packaged and sealed to keep them fresh. I’m still installing games and various programs on it so haven’t had a chance to put it under any strain just yet, here is my 3DMark benchmark for the time being.

P5857
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3652516

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3820QM (2.70GHz) Turbo boost to 3.70GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM (PRE-ORDER, ETA END OF MAY)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

I’m sure once AMD get their arse in gear and release some official drivers for the 7970M it will be higher! I will edit this and add stuff like temps under loads and all that as and when I get everything running how I want it, OCD is kicking in.... Please feel free to ask away or request things and I’ll do my very best to answer them sharpish for you. Happy waiting ladies and gents, it’s been worth the long wait, without a doubt!

Currently running at Ultra/Highest settings with at least 40fps.

Battlefield 3
Company of Heroes
Star Wars the Old Republic
Rome Total War
Skyrim with the High Definition Texture Pack installed

Also if you're suffering performance issues with your GPU it could be Enduro enabling itself, this is simply rectified by right clicking anywhere on your desktop and clicking "Configure Switchable Graphics". Set the programs you want like your games to high performance and this will make sure your 7970M is working.

image.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS
Rather than start a whole new thread I figured I'd post this here...

3D Mark 11 Score: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3660122
I ordered the same Ram as you have, any idea why 3D Mark can't identify mine and why it seems to be missing about a 100mb???

Not had enough time with it for any sort of review, but so far have only a few minor issues. In terms of usage the touch-pad has a bit too much grip for my liking and I'm not used to the smaller shift and enter keys.

Other than that the lead from the power supply to the laptop is a bit on the short side (the lead from the socket to the supply is longer), would have preferred it the other way around as that would have allowed me to more easily leave the power supply brick on the floor under the table.