VR gaming machine - thoughts please?

Hi all.

I currently have a Vive Pro running on an aging i5 - 4690 with a GTX1070TI.
It works ok, until I try to use the HTC wireless kit. This canes the CPU and it doesn't cope at all well.
So, newer better machine needed.

I'm looking for something to last 4 years, with minor upgrades maybe. It will be used primarily for surfing, VR gaming (vive pro and maybe in due course a Valve Index),
some video editing, web design, photoshopping and perhaps one day capture for green screen mixed reality videos.

I'm a bit out of date on latest pc tech but going back to earlier 2000s I did build a couple of PCs so I am not entirely green!

Thoughts anyone? I picked the cpu I did as it seems very capable and anything above is probably overkill and needless expense.
(Im saving for the index and future wireless kit if it comes!).
Also went Intel as the HTC wireless has been problematic with some Amd rigs.

I plan to partition the M2, 250Gb for windows, 750Gb programs/steam library.
The HDD is for file/photo storage.

Needs to be wifi and we have 2.4/5ghz router with the kids on 2.4 and us adults on 5ghz, hence the wifi choice.

Case - well its sexy but not mad gamer look !

Any thoughts on improvements or changes?
Anyone got the case?
Anyone running a vive pro wireless?

Many thanks

Build below......
Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1750 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 450Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd suggest the TXm PSU, as it's better quality, more efficient and modular. And a bit more 'fitting' for the build as it were.

I personally wouldn't partition the SSD. Unless you're someone who takes regular images?

Faster RAM. It can benefit some games a lot, and as a % of the overall system cost seems worth it.

NB. The GTX 1070 ti is pretty much equal to a GTX 1080 (within a few %). An RTX 2070 Super is about equal to a GTX 1080 ti (within a few %).

So you're basically upgrading from a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080 ti. Except unlike GTX 1080 early adopters, the GTX 1080 ti was already available when you got your 1070 ti. So you're upgrading to something that you could have just bought at the time you bought what you did.

Strongly suggest you stick it out with your 1070 ti for a bit longer. Perhaps you'll end up being able to wait it out for the next gen of GPUs. Which might have more mature RTX tech, other features, and be a bit more competitive in pricing now AMD are getting their act together in the higher end GPU market with Navi.

Thanks Oussebon.

Ok, faster RAM, noted I will look at the options. Happy for suggestions.

Re the gpu. Interesting. Surprise not much difference.
Conundrum. Old pc was going to be passed on to kids/mrs to go in lounge for a non wireless VR set up with a 2nd hand headset still to be bought. So planned on leaving the 1070ti in that as without it I'd have to get another anyway !
Are there any currently out GPUs worth upgrading to then if the 2070super is not much better, worth getting a 2080super?
Adds bucks though.

Thanks re PSU, I shall look at the txm.

Oh, i picked the 1070ti originally as at the time it was cheaper than the 1080(ti) and not huge performance difference but was going to get my machine running the vive pro, so was great at the time. I guess the moral is, go big so you dont regret later !

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ok, faster RAM, noted I will look at the options. Happy for suggestions.
2 x 8gb 3000MHz, or 3200 MHz if it's not much more £.

I guess the moral is, go big so you dont regret later !
Re the gpu. Interesting. Surprise not much difference.

No, the the moral 99.9% of the time is "Don't overspend". However, Nvidia's Pascal GPUs were dominant for such a long time with no competition from AMD (even when Vega came out, it was unobtainable for long periods with the mining boom). So for Turing (2000 series GPUs) Nvidia had no incentive to release more powerful cards at lower price points. The RTX 2080 was a GTX 1080 ti, with 3gb less VRAM and RTX features that aren't worth anything. For the same price as a 1080 ti.

We only started to see a little improvement in bang for buck with the 'Super' refresh when AMD was coming out with Navi. And we're only seeing a little wider a performance gap with the 1080 ti now some newer titles start to leverage some of the other architectural changes made. Over a year since the 2080 was released (Sept 2018).

A 2080 Super is, what, 15% better than a 1080 ti? After over a year of driver improvements and new titles. That starts to make it a bigger upgrade over a 1070 ti, but as you probably don't shell out for £650-£700 GPUs every year there's still an argument for keeping your powder dry on the GPU upgrade.

If you're a Pascal owner, you can and probably ought to skip Turing.

1571486409728.png

There's some argument to be made for just getting an RTX 2060 or RX 5700 for £300 (RX 5700 sporting a choice of free games too) and sticking it out for the next gen.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Which games do you play?

I opted for the 2080 for my system (I couldn't afford the Ti) and overclocked it to get that bit more performance out of it. It's a great card and, IMO, ideally suited to VR use. I try to push as many pixels as I can at the fastest refresh that I can, it matters.

With the Valve Index you're looking at 144hz to make the most of it. That's going to take a 2080 Super IMO.

Of course, it all depends on the titles. Project Cars 2 is probably my most demanding VR experience.

I haven't heard of any AMD issues with Wigig, do you have any links? I would always opt for an AMD build now. Reasonable cost savings and good throughput horsepower. The 9700k is going to be the best overall for gaming but there isn't really a lot in it. Given your experience the 3700X would likely do a better job.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
With the Valve Index you're looking at 144hz to make the most of it. That's going to take a 2080 Super IMO.
But that's a future purchase, apparently a little way down the line. Surely better to wait for next gen of GPUs in this case?

Same as when people say they're buying a 2080 ti and hope to get a 4k monitor sometime next year

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
But that's a future purchase, apparently a little way down the line. Surely better to wait for next gen of GPUs in this case?

Same as when people say they're buying a 2080 ti and hope to get a 4k monitor sometime next year

Definitely, completely depends on when it's being purchased and what games are being played. PC2 hammers my 1080, the 2080 can get fairly consistent 90hz with reasonable settings on the Vive. I've got to hold the SS back though, even with the 2080. On the Index I have to pull it back more to push the extra pixels and frequency.

Hi Scotster

I play a range of stuff. Recently I have been really into Pavlov and starting to get into Contractors, Onward etc, basically the FPS games.
I also from time to time am into games like The Wizards.
Recently I started playing No Man's Sky, which was really too much for the machine to run on the Vive with wireless.
I have also enjoyed dirt rally on pc and would like to get it running well in the Vive.
I could see myself getting into other driving Sims and flight Sims too.

I may go for the 2070 super, I understand it is not much of a jump from where I am now, but my current card will be staying in my old machine for use by the kids with another 2nd hand vive pro whose game choices require much less power.

Until the index has wireless I shall stay vive pro.

If you google Ryzen and HTC wireless there is quite a lot about the problem. Although I gather there was a hotfix from HTC. Whether the issue is fully fixed now I don't know.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Which games do you play?

I opted for the 2080 for my system (I couldn't afford the Ti) and overclocked it to get that bit more performance out of it. It's a great card and, IMO, ideally suited to VR use. I try to push as many pixels as I can at the fastest refresh that I can, it matters.

Of course, it all depends on the titles. Project Cars 2 is probably my most demanding VR experience.

I haven't heard of any AMD issues with Wigig, do you have any links? I would always opt for an AMD build now. Reasonable cost savings and good throughput horsepower. The 9700k is going to be the best overall for gaming but there isn't really a lot in it. Given your experience the 3700X would likely do a better job.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you google Ryzen and HTC wireless there is quite a lot about the problem. Although I gather there was a hotfix from HTC. Whether the issue is fully fixed now I don't know.
I think that was all fixed in about March this year and baked into the vive driver.

Aha thankyou spidertracks, that article gives me much more faith the issue is resolved safely.

Now, perhaps that means I can save some money or get an even better PC by choosing a Ryzen build instead of the intel I specced up.

Back to the configurator.

I think that was all fixed in about March this year and baked into the vive driver.

Hi all.

Having learnt the AMD + HTC Wireless issues have been resolved, I decided to look seriously at AMD Ryzen CPU builds.
It seems the latest AMD Ryzen are very very close behind the Intel offerings for single core usage/gaming, yet would offer me much better performance perhaps for video editing/rendering due to their multicore abilities.

Being priced more keenly I wondered if I might be able to improve the build slightly in other areas for the same overall price or save a little too.

Here are the two specs now, Intel @£1798 vs AMD @ £1834 so £36 difference.
Any thoughts on which would be best value / performance ratio?

It looks like AMD are where it's at currently and am I right believing I'm less likely to need to change MOBO in future to upgrade CPU with AMD build?

I stuck with 2070 Super in the end, it is a bump up from the 1070TI, I do need a card but it is less of a splurge compared to the 2080S or TI !
Bearing in mind new cards may be along next year I'm not dumping so much money but will still have ample performance I believe for Vive Pro playing Pavlov/Onward/NMS/Wizards/maybe Drift Rally.

I did drop the PSU to 550 as configurator said 650 was more than needed even with 20% margin. Gone with TxM as suggested before.

Thoughts?
Which is best value?
Which more future proof?

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE **changed to CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE ** to fit shelf height
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get 3 Months of XBOX Game Pass for PC w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs

down_right_arrow.gif
The Outer Worlds -AND- Borderlands 3 w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card

down_right_arrow.gif
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options

£1767

vs

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE **changed to CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE ** to fit shelf height
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card

down_right_arrow.gif
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1750 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 450Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options

£1802

thanks again for thoughts so far.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Unless you want both Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds, and are willing to pay full price for them anyway regardless of what PC you purchase, drop the CPU to the R7 3700x. The 3800x costs more and the performance difference would be hard to spot with a magnifying glass.

650W TXm could keep more future GPU upgrade options open.

If I was going to slap an H100x on one of the 2 CPUs, it would be the Intel, since it's a hot CPU, and since you could meaningfully overclock it.

Here are the two specs now, Intel @£1798 vs AMD @ £1834 so £36 difference.
Any thoughts on which would be best value / performance ratio?
It's not a 'fair' question and it won't produce helpful answers if the specs aren't identical as far as possible. For instance the AMD spec has a cooler £25 more expensive, and a pricier case.

ooops, sorry my mistake with the cooler difference, mouse trouble.

Updated below,

now same coolers, removed erroneous memory card reader from intel build, CPU to 3700 now in AMD build, 650W Txm for future proofing for GPU upgrades in both builds, case changed to suit height available in both builds.
(I dont see myself doing overclocking so not too worried about H100x cooler on intel.)

£30 more for the Intel.

I'm off to bed, will check for any replies tomorrow, many thanks guys, but I've been up 22 hours so bed screams at me!

Case
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif

down_right_arrow.gif
The Outer Worlds -OR- Borderlands 3 w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card

down_right_arrow.gif
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options

£1731

vs

Case
Processor (CPU)
Motherboard
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

down_right_arrow.gif
1st Storage Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Memory Card Reader
none
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options

£1761

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Surprising that the Intel build is only that much more expensive. Not like AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs are a 'budget' option.

The AMD motherboard has some USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) at the rear. That could be an advantage for VR as versus 'normal' USB 3 it has twice the bandwidth, and is on a separate controller too. I've no idea about modern VR kits though and whether that;'s still a consideration.

As for which to go for...

VRMark is a synthetic benchmark, so real world experiences may differ, but apparently puts the 3700x and 9700k within ~2.2% of each other (benched on a 2080 ti)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If flight simulation is something you find important the Intel may be the best option as they eat frequency. Other than that, IMO, the 3700x is the best option.

I don't think the 760p is worth £50 over the SX6000 though.

If flight simulation is something you find important the Intel may be the best option as they eat frequency. Other than that, IMO, the 3700x is the best option.

I don't think the 760p is worth £50 over the SX6000 though.

Thanks for that additional thought. No, was once upon a time but not anymore. I scratched that itch thoroughly flying microlights in real world, although sadly on hold for budget/family/career reasons at the moment !

Ok, re the 760/sx6000 too.

Surprising that the Intel build is only that much more expensive. Not like AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs are a 'budget' option.

The AMD motherboard has some USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) at the rear. That could be an advantage for VR as versus 'normal' USB 3 it has twice the bandwidth, and is on a separate controller too. I've no idea about modern VR kits though and whether that;'s still a consideration.

As for which to go for...

VRMark is a synthetic benchmark, so real world experiences may differ, but apparently puts the 3700x and 9700k within ~2.2% of each other (benched on a 2080 ti)

I was surprised too.

Yes, USB 3.1.Gen 2 may be worth having, if not now then over next few years as VR kit develops.
Thanks for the VRMark link too.

Such close results.

I have decided to go for the AMD build with the 3700X. The 3800X doesnt offer much more performance but runs much hotter apparently. I can also use the saving to get myself a nice new keyboard and replace my 10 year old mouse.
The 570 board offers PCIE4 which could be advantageous for future upgrades without MOBO changes to do so.
AMD chips offer me better performance for when I do video editing, which I do from time to time (Drone footage)
Sticking with the RTX2070 Super choice as it is a bump up from my 1070Ti (albeit not huge) and that card is staying for use in my old PC. Tempting though a 2080Ti is, that kind of money is silly, especially before a new generation comes along !

Thank you very much for all your help guys, much appreciated.

Case
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif

down_right_arrow.gif
The Outer Worlds -OR- Borderlands 3 w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

down_right_arrow.gif
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
Power Cable
Processor Cooling
Thermal Paste
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
USB/Thunderbolt Options
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks good, not sure if you missed the M2 drive or if you're just happy with the additional costs but it's a great system regardless.

Looks good, not sure if you missed the M2 drive or if you're just happy with the additional costs but it's a great system regardless.
Yeah, I wasnt too worried by the extra cost in the whole scheme of things and it's a little better too.

Thanks, yes, looking forward to it !