VR Headset advice

CiaranOD

Hi,

Could anybody please suggest the best VR headset I could get with the below spec?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ciaran

Case
CORSAIR 275R TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Could anybody please suggest the best VR headset I could get with the below spec?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ciaran

Case
CORSAIR 275R TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
The RTX 2060 won’t be powerful enough for most VR, it’s a 1080p 144hz card.

Any current VR headset is going to be over double that resolution at a minimum of 90hz.

Just not possible with that GPU.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
The RTX 2060 won’t be powerful enough for most VR, it’s a 1080p 144hz card.

Any current VR headset is going to be over double that resolution at a minimum of 90hz.

Just not possible with that GPU.
I have a question, why does the GPU say it's VR Ready?

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
My partner has an RTX 2070 SUPER and uses Oculus Rift S without any issues. Why is that?

Recommended Specs Oculus Rift S

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The Oculus Rift S minimum specs seem to suggest the 2060 would work well - and a few RTX 2060 benchmarks here, admittedly for the older version headset, seem to be relatively usable..... but I'll accede to higher knowledge on this topic ultimately?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve had a total of two experiences with VR, my last one about two and a half years ago and the results varied wildly. Mainly in that the lower the GPU, the more likely I was to vomit on my host and their possessions.

1660Ti was awful, it was like being drunk and hungover with a migraine and all at the same time.

The 2080 was altogether a more fun experience. Still a little bit motion sickness inducing but had a whole evening of fun with friends and I didn’t blemish their carpet.

The GPU takes a hammering with VR, it’s tasked with creating two simultaneous separate images at a certain resolution and it needs to be at a reasonable refresh rate in order to negate any of the aforementioned motion sickness.

I shudder to think about what it’d be like to play a newer VR title like Half Life Alyx with a 1660 Super 🤢

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My partner has an RTX 2070 SUPER and uses Oculus Rift S without any issues. Why is that?

Recommended Specs Oculus Rift S

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
the 2070 super is four tiers above the 2060, it’s a substantially more powerful card aimed at 1440p 144hz. You had 2060, then 2060 Super, then 2070 then 2070 Super. It’s literally a different card entirely.

There will be some line drawn games like beatsaber and stuff like that where it would be more than fine, there aren’t really any textures to load into that, it’s just very basic graphics.

But if you’re talking actual games like Half Life: Alyx, Doom, Star Wars Squadrons, No Mans Sky etc etc, the 2060 just can’t handle the output required.

VR is simply 2 monitors, there’s nothing more to it than that really. The point is, if the frame rates dip below the magic 90hz (80 on the oculus, god only knows why), then you really suffer, and I mean really suffer, it’s not pretty.

I play on the original Vive which is lower resolution on a GTX1080, and which is around a 2070 - 2070 Super and I would say that’s the lowest you want to go to avoid motion sickness. And in some games like Eve you will still experience it.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I’ve had a total of two experiences with VR, my last one about two and a half years ago and the results varied wildly. Mainly in that the lower the GPU, the more likely I was to vomit on my host and their possessions.

1660Ti was awful, it was like being drunk and hungover with a migraine and all at the same time.

The 2080 was altogether a more fun experience. Still a little bit motion sickness inducing but had a whole evening of fun with friends and I didn’t blemish their carpet.

The GPU takes a hammering with VR, it’s tasked with creating two simultaneous separate images at a certain resolution and it needs to be at a reasonable refresh rate in order to negate any of the aforementioned motion sickness.

I shudder to think about what it’d be like to play a newer VR title like Half Life Alyx with a 1660 Super 🤢
Which headset was that with Mr C?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It was an Oculus, couldn't tell you the model.
Interesting Mr C, thanks!

So, with the current Oculus S you're needing a card that can easily run 1440p on two screen at a consistent 80 FPS or greater I guess??

I can see how any tearing or dropped frames would not be a nice experience when you're moving your head around. 🤢

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
the 2070 super is four tiers above the 2060, it’s a substantially more powerful card aimed at 1440p 144hz. You had 2060, then 2060 Super, then 2070 then 2070 Super. It’s literally a different card entirely.

There will be some line drawn games like beatsaber and stuff like that where it would be more than fine, there aren’t really any textures to load into that, it’s just very basic graphics.

But if you’re talking actual games like Half Life: Alyx, Doom, Star Wars Squadrons, No Mans Sky etc etc, the 2060 just can’t handle the output required.

VR is simply 2 monitors, there’s nothing more to it than that really. The point is, if the frame rates dip below the magic 90hz (80 on the oculus, god only knows why), then you really suffer, and I mean really suffer, it’s not pretty.

I play on the original Vive which is lower resolution on a GTX1080, and which is around a 2070 - 2070 Super and I would say that’s the lowest you want to go to avoid motion sickness. And in some games like Eve you will still experience it.
I bought Blade & Sorcery. I cannot play more than 40 minutes on the Oculus Rift S with 6700XT. I never knew that was the cause. I didn't buy myself a VR headset and now I know I need a more powerful GPU if I want to play for hours.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master

I was pondering VR for Assetto Corsa and Elite - both of which seem to be on the lower end of demanding. I'll have to look into what would be needed a little more carefully though me thinks.

Good info above - thanks Spyder. (y)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Interesting Mr C, thanks!

So, with the current Oculus S you're needing a card that can easily run 1440p on two screen at a consistent 80 FPS or greater I guess??

I can see how any tearing or dropped frames would not be a nice experience when you're moving your head around. 🤢
Yeah, seems to be the case that if you're heavily into VR you'd want the best GPU you can afford. @Scott is the man to ask, he's got all the fancy kit.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ah @Scott doesn’t know that much about anything I don’t think. Anyone else you can think of? 🤔 😀
giphy (1).gif