VR Headset advice

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I swear you lot are all day drinking! :ROFLMAO: Covid has a lot to answer for!

VR is a minefield. You basically need to think of it as 3-4k (resolution). It's at least 3k to drive no matter what the headset but most would be more akin to 4k.

The good thing is that most of the games are made with this in mind and aren't as demanding as traditional AAA games are. The down side is that even when the graphics aren't as intense....... the physics tend to be more intense, so where you need less GPU grunt you tend to need more CPU grunt. Thankfully it tends to be single core for the most part, so you just need a decent chip with high frequency.

Thanks to witchcraft and interpolation a lot of games can get away with half refresh. Unfortunately with anything fast paced this will throw your equilibrium off and you will likely start to feel nausea after a while.

I'm one of those fortunate souls that doesn't get any of that. I've no idea why.... maybe I have the reaction time of a sloth and my brain only sees a few frames a second.... I've no idea.... one of my friends and even my GF can't handle it for any real length of time where I'm fine for hours.

Anyway...... you really need to match the system to the games you're looking to play rather than the headset. No matter which headset you go for it'll chew up a 3080 in Project Cars 2 with all the toys on. My 2080 can just about handle 90fps with the settings turned down to manage this on an Index.

Similarly with settings for the monitor, you can adjust to make them fit....... but with VR there are pukey consequences.

2060 - Will get you in the door and allow you to play fun games on any headset. It's not for AAA games unless you are immune to nausea.
2070 - This is what I would consider the true starting point with any of these headsets. It'll allow for a broader range of play.
2080 - This is what I have and should cover most bases comfortably. If you're getting sick quickly with these games at moderate settings then it's likely that VR isn't for you.

Anything above is gravy but there isn't a limit as it'll take whatever you can throw at it unless you are continually playing BeatSaber.

The Index allows for 144hz but the chances of hitting it are slim. Even 80fps takes a fair amount of grunt with the more demanding games. I get around 30-50fps with M$ Flight Simulator for example. If I suffered from nausea with this kit that would kill me. It wouldn't matter what headset I used or what GPU I had, the limitation tends to be CPU.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

VR is a minefield. You basically need to think of it as 3-4k (resolution). It's at least 3k to drive no matter what the headset but most would be more akin to 4k.

The good thing is that most of the games are made with this in mind and aren't as demanding as traditional AAA games are. The down side is that even when the graphics aren't as intense....... the physics tend to be more intense, so where you need less GPU grunt you tend to need more CPU grunt. Thankfully it tends to be single core for the most part, so you just need a decent chip with high frequency.

Thanks to witchcraft and interpolation a lot of games can get away with half refresh. Unfortunately with anything fast paced this will throw your equilibrium off and you will likely start to feel nausea after a while.

I'm one of those fortunate souls that doesn't get any of that. I've no idea why.... maybe I have the reaction time of a sloth and my brain only sees a few frames a second.... I've no idea.... one of my friends and even my GF can't handle it for any real length of time where I'm fine for hours.

Anyway...... you really need to match the system to the games you're looking to play rather than the headset. No matter which headset you go for it'll chew up a 3080 in Project Cars 2 with all the toys on. My 2080 can just about handle 90fps with the settings turned down to manage this on an Index.

Similarly with settings for the monitor, you can adjust to make them fit....... but with VR there are pukey consequences.

2060 - Will get you in the door and allow you to play fun games on any headset. It's not for AAA games unless you are immune to nausea.
2070 - This is what I would consider the true starting point with any of these headsets. It'll allow for a broader range of play.
2080 - This is what I have and should cover most bases comfortably. If you're getting sick quickly with these games at moderate settings then it's likely that VR isn't for you.

Anything above is gravy but there isn't a limit as it'll take whatever you can throw at it unless you are continually playing BeatSaber.

The Index allows for 144hz but the chances of hitting it are slim. Even 80fps takes a fair amount of grunt with the more demanding games. I get around 30-50fps with M$ Flight Simulator for example. If I suffered from nausea with this kit that would kill me. It wouldn't matter what headset I used or what GPU I had, the limitation tends to be CPU.
So if doing a spec for a VR system spec as high as a CPU as possible

NoddyPirate

Grand Master

See @AgentCooper ? I told you it was pointless asking him. :rolleyes:

@Scott - Thanks for all that - a brill reference - I might come back to down the road whenever this is properly on my agenda! (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Perfect summary 👍🏼

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I guess VR isn't for me. Would a 6700XT Red Devil be equivalent to 2080?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess VR isn't for me. Would a 6700XT Red Devil be equivalent to 2080?
Roughly, yes.

They’re doing quite a lot of research into VR sickness because scientists don’t quite understand what’s actually causing it.

It’s the missing like between physical or biological science and neuro science that we know very little about. It’s quite fascinating really.

D

Deleted member 41971

I give up, but the internet doesn’t work on windows so it won’t refresh properly

There. That’s what my phone wants me to write. Apple is master, who am I to go against their will.

La presentazione dell'Apple Watch e del MacBook in gif - Wired

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Roughly, yes.

They’re doing quite a lot of research into VR sickness because scientists don’t quite understand what’s actually causing it.

It’s the missing like between physical or biological science and neuro science that we know very little about. It’s quite fascinating really.
Wow - given my vocation I am quite surprised to see an article like that suggesting theories are few for VR sickness!

It's a different thing of course, but in a flight simulator even slight flaws in the visual system will cause nausea and disorientation through a large range of fully understood and well explained processes. From a visual perspective I would think many of the processes would be very similar for VR, with the odd correlation between improving visual realism and increased sickness likelihood - low realism or clearly impossible visuals cause fewer issues.

The main footnote really would be that any sensory discord, particularly when it comes to visual perception, creates an automatic physical response to evacuate stomach contents - a long standing evolutionary process to protect our ancient ancestors from the threat of poisonous or toxic foraging exploits! 🍓🌻🤢 🤮

It's why we must always warn our trainees before we either freeze the sim motion, or turn the motion off altogether, while they are still 'moving' or 'in flight' - cos the sim may be realistic, but it doesn't come with sick bags included! 😃

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
I have an oculus quest 2. It is awesome and cheap (£299). They have stopped selling rifts as a result. Works amazing as a stand alone based on a mobile phone processor not a i9/3090. For PC VR I have read about people playing MSFS20 (most demanding game on VR) on a 1080. Clearly on low settings but apparently acceptable. 90hz is for fast action. MSFS is fine surprisingly at 20hz! OQ2 since update 28 offers Air Link so you can play PCVR wirelessly (like virtual desktop before) and update 29 now offers 120hz. Again, you would be surprised what a posh mobile phone processor can do. Wireless is so much better than tethered!. I would not recommend a HP G2 with you PC spec but it would probably work.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
This isn’t the case for VR at all, refresh rates are to avoid VR sickness, anything under 80hz is considered unacceptable from a health perspective.
It makes the Oculus choice of 80 Hz all the more unusual doesn’t it? Almost every article I read yesterday after I first saw this thread agreed that anything less than 90 Hz is likely to induce disorientation or nausea.

I wonder why Oculus chose that particular frequency? Is it just because that’s all their tech could handle I guess?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It makes the Oculus choice of 80 Hz all the more unusual doesn’t it? Almost every article I read yesterday after I first saw this thread agreed that anything less than 90 Hz is likely to induce disorientation or nausea.

I wonder why Oculus chose that particular frequency? Is it just because that’s all their tech could handle I guess?
Yeah, oculus are the only ones that reduce below 90, I have no idea why they do it, most likely power reasons.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Yeah being honest I just can't see how VR with MSFS could possibly be the full experience you would hope for. It's such a labour intensive thing that even with the highest end GPU and a single monitor, FPS stays really low with the settings turned all the way up. With VR I imagine you would have to turn quality way down to achieve a usable FPS to the eye that it would defeat the whole purpose of setting up an immersive experience?

It's a beautiful simaultor and elements of it blow me away - while other bits drive me up the wall in much the same way that most movies involving aircraft make me cringe! But it feels like it's ahead of it's time in what it's trying to do. The display technology just isn't able to keep up yet....