VR ready computer

Billdounez

Hello,

I am a physio looking to use VR (Occulus rift s) with my patients.

The software I will be using has a minimum spec of:

Processor : i7 8750H
Memory : 16 Go Corsair DDR4
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Go
Storage : SSD 240 Go
Connection : 4 USB 3.0, 1 USB 3.1 TYPE C

I would need general office functionality and decent storage (1TB) and wi-fi abilities.

I would probably do a few normal games on it, but as it will be in a clinic not too much on that side of things.

Could anyone please advise me regarding cost? Unfortunately I do not have an unlimited budget. Are there any other considerations I should think about? Sorry for the naive and uneducated questions- I’m not the most tech savvy.

Thank you for any help and advice!

Stephen M

Author Level
An idea of your maximum or preferred budget would help. Are you looking for a laptop of a PC, if it staying in your work place a PC will offer much more for your cash than a laptop. Once we have that info someone will post a possible spec for you.

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
So the new Rift S has an effective resolution of 2560x1440p and runs at 90FPS. So you need a beefy GPU for sure. Probably RTX 2060 at minimum.
First order of business, definitely figure out if you want a laptop or a desktop. It makes a world of difference

Billdounez

An idea of your maximum or preferred budget would help. Are you looking for a laptop of a PC, if it staying in your work place a PC will offer much more for your cash than a laptop. Once we have that info someone will post a possible spec for you.

Thanks for the reply,

I would be looking for a desktop PC as it will based in the clinic. As for budget, basically, as cheap as possible to satisfy those specifications:

Processor : i7 8750H
Memory : 16 Go Corsair DDR4
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6Go
Storage : SSD 240 Go
Connection : 4 USB 3.0, 1 USB 3.1 TYPE C

And I would need general office functionality and decent storage (1TB) and wi-fi abilities.

Thank you again

Stephen M

Author Level
I will leave it to someone else to suggest a build as I am more knowledgeable on laptops than desk tops but if Oussebon is about he will suggest a great spec.

For general office stuff you can save money by using Libre or Open Office, they are free but will do all the paid for software can, plus there are decent free anti-virus options such as Avast.

chaoxf457

Hi! Just quickly posting to say I currently have a 3770k i7 along with a 1060 and vr works fine however not optimally. Games designed as a full release like poker, lone echo and such on the oculus rift work fine, although they are not able to be run on max and occasional hit reprojection. Playing h3vr (hotdogs horseshoes and handgrenades), onward and some other more intensive releases hit reprojection a bit more.

I would not recommend getting a 1060, vr is changing constantly and i would recommend really spending the money if you want a good experience in the future, however for things like beatsaber and more basic be experiences the 1060 is adequate