VR with defiance 3 - GK7CP7S?

Zer0access

Has anyone tried VR with any laptops here? I have a 2070rtx and am very tempted by the Valve Index.I heard I probably won't be able to play games on 120hz.

Wanted to check if anyone here has tried it and what their thoughts are.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It depends on the games really. I have the Valve Index and my 2080 overclocked doesn't push past 90 with some games (depending on the settings). There are other games that it'll happily sit at 144hz with though.

Zer0access

It depends on the games really. I have the Valve Index and my 2080 overclocked doesn't push past 90 with some games (depending on the settings). There are other games that it'll happily sit at 144hz with though.

Yeh I had a feeling i'd be playing Half Life Alyx on low settings. Happy to hear some smaller games run well!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeh I had a feeling i'd be playing Half Life Alyx on low settings. Happy to hear some smaller games run well!

I think Half Life is meant to run pretty well to be honest. As long as you can get a constant 90 nausea shouldn't be too bad to be honest. The issue is when it dips. 120hz does make a difference to that though, it's good to have where possible.

Zer0access

I think Half Life is meant to run pretty well to be honest. As long as you can get a constant 90 nausea shouldn't be too bad to be honest. The issue is when it dips. 120hz does make a difference to that though, it's good to have where possible.

120hz would be great! But worried my computer won't quite handle that. I'm also a little worried about temps as my cpu sits around 90 when gaming and gpu around 85-90... it is summer so dunno if that is a reason?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
With a laptop it's always going to get toasty in long gaming sessions. 90s on the CPU is probably normal but 90 on the GPU seems a bit high.

How long have you had it? it may be wanting a good clean out/repaste. A cooling pad would always be recommended.

Zer0access

With a laptop it's always going to get toasty in long gaming sessions. 90s on the CPU is probably normal but 90 on the GPU seems a bit high.

How long have you had it? it may be wanting a good clean out/repaste. A cooling pad would always be recommended.

Not that long...about half a year. I definitely am thinking about a cooling pad. Do they dramatically decrease temps?

DeeHants

I run an Oculus Rift S on a Defiance VII with an RTX 2060 without issue, even handling fast movement and reactions in games like Beat Saber.
Obviously, it needs to be plugged in and on a flat surface so it can vent as it runs flat out.
Cooling is sufficient as I've used it for over an hour at times.