Vyper 17 inch terrible performance when running on battery

I have logged the issue with PCS too, as I am also experiencing the same issue. They already came back to me, to say that I am free to modify the PL1 and PL2 values and that they are still working with their supplier to see if a BIOS update can be created, but they expect it to take quite some time.

@barlew, how did you modify the PL values (ThrottleStop?)? Did you find a settings group which allowed the mode switch to function correctly?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
they are still working with their supplier to see if a BIOS update can be created, but they expect it to take quite some time.
Reading between the lines there, that's a clear statement that this chassis has a design problem. I also note that they going to 'see if [Tong Fang] can create a BIOS update' to fix it. That they also 'expect it to take some time' doesn't suggest it's going to be an easy fix either. None of this sounds very encouraging.....

Reading between the lines there, that's a clear statement that this chassis has a design problem. I also note that they going to 'see if [Tong Fang] can create a BIOS update' to fix it. That they also 'expect it to take some time' doesn't suggest it's going to be an easy fix either. None of this sounds very encouraging.....
I did paraphrase slightly, so as to not lead people with my own interpretation I will paste the message I received.
Thanks for getting in touch - we have been made aware of this issue and I know our R&D department were planning on contacting the manufacturer to see whether a potential BIOS update would present a permanent fix to this problem.

As of yet, and as far as I know, we haven't heard back from the chassis manufacturer.

You are free to follow the steps in modifying the PL1 and PL2 levels to get the performance on battery, this is completely up to you.

I would recommend perhaps contacting us again in a couple of months time to see whether we have heard anything more from the chassis manufacturer.

So i have had my Vyper two weeks now and not noticed this yet with plenty of use on battery, untill turning it on this morning. I'll be raising a ticket referencing these previous cases, has anyone got any advice for me in the mean time?

Thanks all and have a good weekend!

barlew

Godlike
So i have had my Vyper two weeks now and not noticed this yet with plenty of use on battery, untill turning it on this morning. I'll be raising a ticket referencing these previous cases, has anyone got any advice for me in the mean time?

Thanks all and have a good weekend!

The only advice i can give you is to use ThrottleStop to modify your PL1 and PL2 states as previously posted in this thread. The important thing is that you notify PCS that you are also experiencing the problem.

barlew

Godlike
I have logged the issue with PCS too, as I am also experiencing the same issue. They already came back to me, to say that I am free to modify the PL1 and PL2 values and that they are still working with their supplier to see if a BIOS update can be created, but they expect it to take quite some time.

@barlew, how did you modify the PL values (ThrottleStop?)? Did you find a settings group which allowed the mode switch to function correctly?

Yes mate I use ThrottleStop.

Annoyingly with Throttlestop you cannot set different PL1 PL2 states for the different power profiles like you can with under-volting. What I now do is just turn on ThrottleStop whenever I switch to battery.

YesBoss

I have the same problem. Just tested my new laptop for the first time on battery.
Laptop becomes laggy when on battery from time to time for some moments.
I am getting 2-3 hours of battery at 50% brightness watching youtube. Battery discharge is around -40.000mW.
When battery gets low CPU is locked at 798mhz making it impossible to use the laptop, everything is lagging badly.
When battery reaches 6% it shuts down without any notice.
When plugged in - everything works well.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Yes mate I use ThrottleStop.

Annoyingly with Throttlestop you cannot set different PL1 PL2 states for the different power profiles like you can with under-volting. What I now do is just turn on ThrottleStop whenever I switch to battery.
Same thing on the Nova, where control centre is always replacing the setup we make on Ryzen Master.

If you want, you could remove gaming center completely and use throttle stop as the only profile manager. That should work, but regarding other functionalities like keyboard LED and fans, you would need to look for third-party tools.

barlew

Godlike
I have the same problem. Just tested my new laptop for the first time on battery.
Laptop becomes laggy when on battery from time to time for some moments.
I am getting 2-3 hours of battery at 50% brightness watching youtube. Battery discharge is around -40.000mW.
When battery gets low CPU is locked at 798mhz making it impossible to use the laptop, everything is lagging badly.
When battery reaches 6% it shuts down without any notice.
When plugged in - everything works well.

Like I keep saying mate log it with PCS so they know you are also affected.

I've had a reply from PCS saying they've logged it and are in contact with the manufacturer about a solution, its getting useless now, its driving me mad, i bought a well spec'd portable laptop that i can use everyday and it isnt bloody portable!!

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Just to clarify the current temporary solution is:
While on battery use throttlestop set at PL1 and PL2 to 120W
While on power simply turn off throttlestop.

Question: Why ever bother turning it off and on rather than just leaving it always on if those are already the system defaults while on power?

vicgui

That should not be like that, as the most known model of this TongFang chassis is the Eluktronics Max-17, and they dont have this problem...so probably its an issue of this specific BIOS and hopefully they´ll find a solution soon :)

I was about to buy it this morning, but maybe it make more sense to wait a bit to see if they fix it...or can that "temporary solution" work as a permanent one without much trouble? what do you think?

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Just to clarify the current temporary solution is:
While on battery use throttlestop set at PL1 and PL2 to 120W
While on power simply turn off throttlestop.

Question: Why ever bother turning it off and on rather than just leaving it always on if those are already the system defaults while on power?

Correct.

Because Throttlestop then overrides the 3 discrete power modes selected by the dedicated button on the chassis. This means for example you will not be able to put the laptop into turbo mode.

Turning throttle stop on doesn't fix the issue in mine

How have you configured Throttlestop?