Vyper 17 Slow on Battery

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have been offered a refund under the condition that their technician looks at the laptop and confirms that it is in fact performing worse than the advertised performance after the EC *fix*.
I don't think that's unreasonable, it would seem that PCS want to confirm that even with the EC 'fix' it's still not fit for purpose.

That is good news though, I agree. :)

barlew

Godlike
I don't think that's unreasonable, it would seem that PCS want to confirm that even with the EC 'fix' it's still not fit for purpose.

That is good news though, I agree. :)

Oh I don't think it is unreasonable either, I fully expected the laptop to be checked by a technician first.

*Edit* - For grammar.

Last edited:

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Oh I don't think it is unreasonable either, I fully expected the laptop to be checked by a technician first.

*Edit* - For grammar.
If i can ask, what if they tell you the laptop works ok on battery after their standard of high/low load ? I am just asking ... i am curious what you or anyone in this situation would say ..

I am asking because PCS Chris already said this after the EC update:

"We found that lighter loads on the system such as general office work / web browsing no longer experiences any issues with the current EC and that only far more demanding loads would cause performance issues. We recommend only doing more demanding loads on this laptop when plugged into AC power as the AC adapter is more than capable of providing all the power the system needs to function at full performance."

Basically they tested it and they know about the issue, with or without EC update ... and i cannot see why a technician would re-investigate a laptop for a known and confirmed issue, apart from checking if the item is perfect condition and not damaged..

DGeraghty

If i can ask, what if they tell you the laptop works ok on battery after their standard of high/low load ? I am just asking ... i am curious what you or anyone in this situation would say ..

"We found that lighter loads on the system such as general office work / web browsing no longer experiences any issues with the current EC and that only far more demanding loads would cause performance issues. We recommend only doing more demanding loads on this laptop when plugged into AC power as the AC adapter is more than capable of providing all the power the system needs to function at full performance."

Basically they tested it and they know about the issue, with or without EC update ... and i cannot see why a technician would re-investigate a laptop for a known and confirmed issue, apart from checking if the item is perfect condition and not damaged..
Pretty good point, but I would imagine they will be looking at getting money back from TongFang somewhere down the line as this could potentially cost them a lot of money so it may well just be a tick box exercise on each laptop that comes back for when they go back to them for there money back. I am pretty sure they have sold quite a few of these Vyper Series Laptops.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pretty good point, but I would imagine they will be looking at getting money back from TongFang somewhere down the line as this could potentially cost them a lot of money so it may well just be a tick box exercise on each laptop that comes back for when they go back to them for there money back. I am pretty sure they have sold quite a few of these Vyper Series Laptops.
Yeah, I don’t think for a second PCS wouldn’t be reimbursed for their losses as it’s down to the manufacturer.

PCS wouldn’t intentionally screw a customer in a scenario like this, or any scenario for that matter.

DGeraghty

Yeah, I don’t think for a second PCS wouldn’t be reimbursed for their losses as it’s down to the manufacturer.

PCS wouldn’t intentionally screw a customer in a scenario like this, or any scenario for that matter.
Agreed Chris has obviously done as much as he can as PCS, Tong Fang have done what they are willing to do currently based on Chris's last reply so we have to put this down to Tong Fang not supplying a fit for purpose product. Im sure PCS will do right by all people effected by this who will be looking for a refund. As i said above the person checking them will really just be peforming a tick box exercise for PCS to go back to Tong Fang. - Its unfortunate, but like anything things can/will go wrong. - Its now all about the After Sales service as to how PCS will come out of this.
I will also update this section once i have had a response from PCS.

barlew

Godlike

Whilst I know exactly what I would do if that situation arose, I am not going to comment on it at this time as that would be speculating on a situation which would cast PCS in a rather bad light. As in my opinion to date they have been nothing but reasonable with the way in which they have dealt with this matter, I don't think that would be particularly helpful or fair.

I created my RMA this afternoon and passed on my RMA number to the the head of returns at his request so that he can priorities my RMA. Since then he has approved the RMA and it is booked in to be picked up on Thursday.

Fingers crossed I should have an answer next week.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just received a confirmation from RMA:

"Your RMA request has been approved and we are now preparing to dispatch a collection carton. Once this carton has been dispatched, we will send you an email and the courier will arrive at your premises with this carton on the next working day (Mon-Fri). Please do not package your laptop, instead place it into the foam padded carton and please don't forget to put the charger in the bottom where it cannot cause any damage.
We endeavour to process returns as quickly as possible, however, should a component required to repair your order be out of stock, your return may be delayed until this item comes back into stock. When your order is returned to you, you will receive email confirmation of this"

Just not sure about what repair they are talking? I asked them for a refund, providing the main problems why... Also included this post and a message from Chris saying they can't do anything more to improve the quallity... Or maybe i do not understand something?

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Great news !
I called PCS yesterday and I just got this very nice Email this morning:

"Thank you for getting in touch yesterday,
I have double checked with Chris and my manager, and they have confirmed that your order definitely qualifies for a refund. Please just answer the following questions and I will set this up for you:
1. Where can we collect from?
2. When can we collect from your premises?
3. Do you still have your original packaging?
4. Do you have access to a printer so that you can print a returns label?
5. What is your password?
If you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,"

Seems like they are definitely going to refund the laptops guys.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Hi,

I just received a confirmation from RMA:

"Your RMA request has been approved and we are now preparing to dispatch a collection carton. Once this carton has been dispatched, we will send you an email and the courier will arrive at your premises with this carton on the next working day (Mon-Fri). Please do not package your laptop, instead place it into the foam padded carton and please don't forget to put the charger in the bottom where it cannot cause any damage.
We endeavour to process returns as quickly as possible, however, should a component required to repair your order be out of stock, your return may be delayed until this item comes back into stock. When your order is returned to you, you will receive email confirmation of this"

Just not sure about what repair they are talking? I asked them for a refund, providing the main problems why... Also included this post and a message from Chris saying they can't do anything more to improve the quallity... Or maybe i do not understand something?

That’s an automated pre written email for the RMA process hence it mentions repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barlew

Godlike
What's your plan now (or once refund as been processed) for filling the hole the Vortex has left?
I've actually already replaced it by an absolute monster of a laptop from a competitor.

It is a sad day but I have come to the end of my time as a PCS customer. I have had too many laptops with issues over the years and too many times I've had them returned either with incorrect components or still faulty.

I have acknowledged before that I am obviously freakishly unlucky with their products but I'm just not willing to risk that 5th laptop.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've actually already replaced it by an absolute monster of a laptop from a competitor.

It is a sad day but I have come to the end of my time as a PCS customer. I have had too many laptops with issues over the years and too many times I've had them returned either with incorrect components or still faulty.

I have acknowledged before that I am obviously freakishly unlucky with their products but I'm just not willing to risk that 5th laptop.
Ah that's sad. Given the numbers they build I guess you have been freakishly unlucky, but nobody can say you haven't given PCS a fair crack of the whip. Best of luck with your new purchase. :)

barlew

Godlike
Ah that's sad. Given the numbers they build I guess you have been freakishly unlucky, but nobody can say you haven't given PCS a fair crack of the whip. Best of luck with your new purchase. :)
Thanks Ubuysa. I'll continue hanging around the forums, its a great community here and just because I no longer have a PCS laptop doesn't mean I have to leave it (i hope).

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster

That makes two of us. I've had 4 units already, from one purchase.
I don't think that I was overly unlucky, I actually blame their QC. I've received two units that you would just laugh about if I'd show you pictures.