Vyper 17 - Thoughts after Two Weeks

KXDyana

Yes, the lid opens easily with one hand. If anything it is slightly too loose - when I have my external webcam on the top (because the integrated webcam and mic are terrible) if I move the laptop too quickly the weight of the webcam will move the screen back a bit. I'd like to note that this isn't a huge issue - my webcam is a little heavy and without it the screen stays in place perfectly.

Yes, there is a control center, it is called ControlCenterU. I don't really use it much though, as you can switch between fan modes on the keyboard.

I've had no issues at all with the touchpad, but again, I use an external mouse ~90% of the time.
Thanks! That's really helpful.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Update: I have decided to RMA this laptop due to the following six issues (please note that none of them are major, and only half are technical, but combined together they are frustrating enough in such an expensive system that it is worth an RMA for me.):

1. Technical Issues:
  2. - The lettering on the keyboard continues to rub off, to the point where the white of the "s" key is over 50% gone, and the "w", "a", and "d" keys are also rubbing off. I have not used anything other than a lightly damp towel to clean the keyboard, and to lose lettering after less than a month of use is disappointing.
  3. - The power cable between the laptop and the power brick fits into the power brick very loosely, and often wriggles out any time the laptop is moved, putting the laptop onto battery power.
  4. - The USB-C port on the rear of the laptop has had intermittent issues. I cannot guarantee this is the laptop, but I have used several cables (including a brand-new one) and seen the issue across them.
Non-technical Issues:
- The webcam placement is horrible - placing the webcam below the screen means a terrible angle for my face (mostly my chin...)
- The microphone placement is also horrible - the microphone is only a centimetre above the fan exhaust, so when you are gaming people cannot hear you over the sound of the fans.
- The NUMPAD has no "enter" key. This is purely a personal preference, but I use the NUMPAD enter a lot, and for such a wide laptop to not have one is a puzzling choice.

Other than these issues I was happy with the laptop, but together they are frustrating enough to warrant an RMA for me. I have ordered a 17.3" Defiance VII with similar specs (essentially identical other than a 2070-Max Q since the Defiance does not have the option of a normal 2070).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 553

we_re

Update: I have decided to RMA this laptop due to the following six issues (please note that none of them are major, and only half are technical, but combined together they are frustrating enough in such an expensive system that it is worth an RMA for me.):

1. Technical Issues:
  2. - The lettering on the keyboard continues to rub off, to the point where the white of the "s" key is over 50% gone, and the "w", "a", and "d" keys are also rubbing off. I have not used anything other than a lightly damp towel to clean the keyboard, and to lose lettering after less than a month of use is disappointing.
  3. - The power cable between the laptop and the power brick fits into the power brick very loosely, and often wriggles out any time the laptop is moved, putting the laptop onto battery power.
  4. - The USB-C port on the rear of the laptop has had intermittent issues. I cannot guarantee this is the laptop, but I have used several cables (including a brand-new one) and seen the issue across them.
Non-technical Issues:
- The webcam placement is horrible - placing the webcam below the screen means a terrible angle for my face (mostly my chin...)
- The microphone placement is also horrible - the microphone is only a centimetre above the fan exhaust, so when you are gaming people cannot hear you over the sound of the fans.
- The NUMPAD has no "enter" key. This is purely a personal preference, but I use the NUMPAD enter a lot, and for such a wide laptop to not have one is a puzzling choice.

Other than these issues I was happy with the laptop, but together they are frustrating enough to warrant an RMA for me. I have ordered a 17.3" Defiance VII with similar specs (essentially identical other than a 2070-Max Q since the Defiance does not have the option of a normal 2070).

I do have the same technical issues on my Vyper III that was used for less than 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 678
  • Presentation2.jpg
    Presentation2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 665

1. Technical Issues:
Non-technical Issues:

Do you have you're defiance yet? I am looking at ordering with an rtx 2080 super max q, however I'm a bit wary as I can't find any reviews, I originally was going to got an Optimus Pro but that had fan/cooling issues apparently and then I was looking at the vyper however your review has put me off, so I am curious to see what the defiance is like

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Do you have you're defiance yet? I am looking at ordering with an rtx 2080 super max q, however I'm a bit wary as I can't find any reviews, I originally was going to got an Optimus Pro but that had fan/cooling issues apparently and then I was looking at the vyper however your review has put me off, so I am curious to see what the defiance is like

No, I only just ordered it a few hours ago, and the chassis won't be in stock until next week. I believe it is a brand-new chassis, I can't find reviews for it anywhere (even under different names). So I'm taking a bit of a risk, but at least it has a properly placed webcam+mic, and a NUMPAD enter key!

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
I do have the same technical issues on my Vyper III that was used for less than 3 weeks.

Do you have a loose power brick connection too? I'm not surprised about the keyboard, but having a loose power cable is such an odd recurring issue to have... What about the USB-C port? Are you keeping yours? (I fully recognize none of the issues I listed were major, and depending on the person they may not be an issue at all.)

Charlas

Enthusiast
Mines in test at the moment, so will have to see, never use the webcam beside unlock, have decent camera and a rhode condenser mic for use at home, and shotgun on the Eos for on the road. Hate webcams, always so low res 😂

Home have daskey 5q for keyboard, so may have to see about enter missing, didn't realise.

But mainly need the performance, so hope will cover 90% of my needs, and want my third monitor back in use, feels wierd with just 2

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
Mines in test at the moment, so will have to see, never use the webcam beside unlock, have decent camera and a rhode condenser mic for use at home, and shotgun on the Eos for on the road. Hate webcams, always so low res 😂

Home have daskey 5q for keyboard, so may have to see about enter missing, didn't realise.

But mainly need the performance, so hope will cover 90% of my needs, and want my third monitor back in use, feels wierd with just 2

Yeah, sounds like most of my issues won't be an issue for you at all. Other than what I listed, it really is a great machine. Just make sure you do all the windows updates and wait a few days before freaking out about temps. Mine ran really hot on day 1, but by day 3 was perfectly cool.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Yeah, sounds like most of my issues won't be an issue for you at all. Other than what I listed, it really is a great machine. Just make sure you do all the windows updates and wait a few days before freaking out about temps. Mine ran really hot on day 1, but by day 3 was perfectly cool.
I'll be installing latest insider from day 0, so Windows will be up to date, I've got a build script that does everything for me as I refresh my os every six months or so, with all the dev tools I install over time it tends to get cluttered with junk pretty quick.

AX10

Do you have a loose power brick connection too? I'm not surprised about the keyboard, but having a loose power cable is such an odd recurring issue to have... What about the USB-C port? Are you keeping yours? (I fully recognize none of the issues I listed were major, and depending on the person they may not be an issue at all.)

Hmm I have the same issue but I dont fancy having to send the whole thing back because of it.

Charlas

Enthusiast
Hmm I have the same issue but I dont fancy having to send the whole thing back because of it.
Silly as it sounds, tried a different kettle lead on it if you have one? Might just be a bad batch of leads supplied that are out of tolerance, not the greatest look if it is that simple, but a nice easy fix. Worth a look either way.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The power brick connector issue has been reported to PCS. Last I heard their R&D department were on it.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
The power brick connector issue has been reported to PCS. Last I heard their R&D department were on it.

If it were just the power lead issue I gladly would have kept it. Even that and the keyboard quality issue would have been annoying but not deal-breakers. But when the USB port wasn't working I started thinking about returning it, and when I realized the mic placement was so bad I'd always have to use an external mic, that sealed it for me. Again, I don't want to discourage anyone else from buying the system. All six issues I had are minor, and most people wouldn't care. For me they made it worth returning though. I'm not just patiently awaiting my new 17.3" Defiance VII. :)

I was thinking of either the Vyper or a similar system using the same chassis from another seller. I'm a bit put off by the above issues...just comes across as a bit low rent for a system costing as much as it does. I'm considering a HP Omen 17 instead...about the same money and actually in stock (bit of a rarity these days!).

The fan noise issue and thermals are a concern for me on both systems. I've found reviews saying they are both great and terrible so who knows? :)

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
I was thinking of either the Vyper or a similar system using the same chassis from another seller. I'm a bit put off by the above issues...just comes across as a bit low rent for a system costing as much as it does. I'm considering a HP Omen 17 instead...about the same money and actually in stock (bit of a rarity these days!).

The fan noise issue and thermals are a concern for me on both systems. I've found reviews saying they are both great and terrible so who knows? :)

If it helps, I received the Defiance VII I order to replace my Vyper 17 yesterday, and it is fantastic. Other than a few minor things (the speakers are truly atrocious) I am much happier with it than I was the Vyper. The fans are quieter, though I haven't done any crazy gaming yet, but in general it is a great system.

maha

Silver Level Poster
How atrocious are the speakers? no clear sound comes out? or atrocious as in "I've never heard such crappy sound"?
You bought the one with RTX 2060 in it?

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
How atrocious are the speakers? no clear sound comes out? or atrocious as in "I've never heard such crappy sound"?
You bought the one with RTX 2060 in it?

Atrocious as in the sound quality is absolute rubbish. It gets decently loud for a laptop, but it suffers from the same problem as the Vyper - the speakers are on the bottom, pointing down, so while the sound isn't great normally, if the laptop is sitting on a cooling pad the sound is really muddled. Won't be an issue for most people, as I'm sure they use headsets, but I tend to use mine all around the house, so I might need some bluetooth headphones.

I have a 2070 Max-Q in mine.

Interesting that the Clevo chassis seems to have a better cooling solution than the Tongfang. The place I was looking to get mine from were saying the opposite. I think at 20mm thick, the Vyper is setting itself a hell of a challenge to keep the system cool without being offensively loud.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
I'm intrigued now. I had my eye on the Defiance with the 2080 Super Max-Q in it, but wasn't sure it'd handle the heat and so I've ordered a Recoil with the 2070 Super - the GPU isn't clocked back to produce less heat, but the chassis is thicker, so hopefully handles heat better. But I'm not enthused by the much much heavier power supply, so the Defiance has been lingering in the background because, if it can handle the heat, it's a better option for several reasons.