Vyper III latest BIOS

I can actually, BIOS has no impact on installation of Windows. You could be on a version from 2016 that hadn't been updated since then, so long as it's got TMP 2.0 support and secure boot is active, you can install windows 11. There are no other BIOS requirements.

No, I mean clean install windows 11. Pointless clean installing windows 10 to run windows 11?
I'm attempting to avoid a ping-pong here, but the BIOS could absolutely cause issues outside TPM. There may be no "literal" requirements from Microsoft other than TPM 2.0, but this 1.01 BIOS has known issues. At the point where the BIOS has issues managing power for the CPU/GPU how can I be certain that it might not have (for example) a niche issue with the drive controller that is causing the system to bomb out from the update? Answer: I can't.

Yes, this is BETA software; I am aware that it may very well just be down to this.

No, it is not pointless installing a version of Windows 10 first. This is Microsoft's recommended route for installing insider builds.

I can only gain from installing this new BIOS version, as a systems admin myself I haven't had a BIOS flash go wrong in many years. I have however, encountered a situation working with a client using Dell Optiplex machines where they required a BIOS update to fix an issue upgrading to Windows 10.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm attempting to avoid a ping-pong here, but the BIOS has could absolutely cause issues outside TPM. There may be no "literal" requirements from Microsoft other than TPM 2.0, but this 1.01 BIOS has known issues. At the point where the BIOS has issues managing power for the CPU/GPU how can I be certain that it might not have (for example) a niche issue with the drive controller that is causing the system to bomb out from the update? Answer: I can't.
If you're a system admin, you must understand what a BIOS is, it's purely a toggle switch for the hardware options on the motherboard.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with your BIOS, and if you want to address those, you'd need to contact PCS for an update. What I'm saying is that the BIOS is not restricting your update to Windows 11. If Windows 10 and the upgrade checker are reporting that TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are enabled and that the device meets requirements, that means that those options are successfully set in the BIOS and passing through to the OS.

The bugs in the BIOS are power ratio and fan related, nothing to do with motherboard features.

Also as a system admin, you must understand the difference between a custom laptop and an off the shelf? Have you experienced a BIOS upgrade on a custom system? It's nothing like off the shelf, it's more like the process from back in the 80's.

If you're a system admin, you must understand what a BIOS is, it's purely a toggle switch for the hardware options on the motherboard.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with your BIOS, and if you want to address those, you'd need to contact PCS for an update. What I'm saying is that the BIOS is not restricting your update to Windows 11. If Windows 10 and the upgrade checker are reporting that TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot are enabled and that the device meets requirements, that means that those options are successfully set in the BIOS and passing through to the OS.

The bugs in the BIOS are power ratio and fan related, nothing to do with motherboard features.

Also as a system admin, you must understand the difference between a custom laptop and an off the shelf? Have you experienced a BIOS upgrade on a custom system? It's nothing like off the shelf, it's more like the process from back in the 80's.
The BIOS (which honestly is the wrong term at this point, but old habits die hard) has been more than "purely a toggle switch for the hardware options on the motherboard" since UEFI was introduced.

Who is to say that there is not a firmware level issue with a drive controller or PCI-E power management here that's causing this? I can think of a plethora of issues a BIOS can present when potentially installing a new OS. The known (known being a key phrase here) bugs are to do with power, fans and the touchpad. But I still see no reason why, considering I'm likely among the first bunch to install Windows 11 on this device, you seem to be adamant there couldn't be a niche issue here caused by literally any of the plethora of things that the UEFI firmware controls.

As stated, I've had first hand experience with this exact same issue with a specific model of Optiplex systems from a client. The machines would crash during the install process of Windows 10 before the BIOS update from Dell.

Yes, I do understand - however I know that Tongfang do release BIOS updates for their laptop shells and the process is literally flashing from a USB drive; hardly like getting a soldering iron out and replacing the ROM.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The BIOS (which honestly is the wrong term at this point, but old habits die hard) has been more than "purely a toggle switch for the hardware options on the motherboard" since UEFI was introduced.

Who is to say that there is not a firmware level issue with a drive controller or PCI-E power management here that's causing this? I can think of a plethora of issues a BIOS can present when potentially installing a new OS. The known (known being a key phrase here) bugs are to do with power, fans and the touchpad. But I still see no reason why, considering I'm likely among the first bunch to install Windows 11 on this device, you seem to be adamant there couldn't be a niche issue here caused by literally any of the plethora of things that the UEFI firmware controls.

As stated, I've had first hand experience with this exact same issue with a specific model of Optiplex systems from a client. The machines would crash during the install process of Windows 10 before the BIOS update from Dell.

Yes, I do understand - however I know that Tongfang do release BIOS updates for their laptop shells and the process is literally flashing from a USB drive; hardly like getting a soldering iron out and replacing the ROM.
So you'd need to contact PCS directly then for a BIOS update, and they'd only deal with the warranty holder, so if you're doing this on behalf of someone else who bought it, they'd need to make the request.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

TBH you're flirting with voiding your warranty here for no good reason.

Firstly you're installing an unsupported OS. Windows 11 is not yet available for general release and is very much in beta. Installing a beta version of the OS could be construed as negligence.

Secondly you want to update the BIOS {and it is still a BIOS it's just a UEFI BIOS) for no better reason than you can't think of anything else to do. You don't know that a BIOS update will allow Windows 11 to install, you don't even. know that your problem is BIOS related.

The BIOS firmware should never be updated unless you have good evidence that doing so will fix a problem that you have. PCS will be able to advise on whether there is anything in later versions that Windows. 11 requires. I'd be surprised if there was however. In any case you need to talk to PCS first if you want to keep your warranty.