Vyper III latest BIOS

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Hi everybody,

hope you're doing good.
I was wondering what is the latest BIOS version for the Vyper III series.
My current bios version is 1.06.
Watching some videos in the past months I discovered other equivalent of Vyper III in US has two features enabled in the BIOS, in the Advanced tab, which are missing in the Vyper:

• Sticky FN key option in BIOS;
  • Option to select the default Power Mode (Office, Game, Performance) and the behaviour of the Power Mode button (cycle between modes or fan boost).
If I'm not wrong these are stock feature in this ODM bios and then the reseller can customise or disable them.

As far as you know, is there a possibility to enable them on the Vyper?
They would be very convenient for me.

Thanks for your help, guys :)

Screenshot 2021-03-14 131746.jpgScreenshot 2021-03-14 132058.jpg
Screenshot from a Youtube video about Vyper III US equivalent.

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi everybody,

hope you're doing good.
I was wondering what is the latest BIOS version for the Vyper III series.
My current bios version is 1.06.
Watching some videos in the past months I discovered other equivalent of Vyper III in US has two features enabled in the BIOS, in the Advanced tab, which are missing in the Vyper:

• Sticky FN key option in BIOS;
  • Option to select the default Power Mode (Office, Game, Performance) and the behaviour of the Power Mode button (cycle between modes or fan boost).
If I'm not wrong these are stock feature in this ODM bios and then the reseller can customise or disable them.

As far as you know, is there a possibility to enable them on the Vyper?
They would be very convenient for me.

Thanks for your help, guys :)

View attachment 23602View attachment 23603
Screenshot from a Youtube video about Vyper III US equivalent.
Installing a new BIOS without PCS consent will void your warranty

7.9We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Installing a new BIOS without PCS consent will void your warranty

7.9We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.
Hi Martin,
thanks for your message.

I'm aware of coursethat installing a new bios without PCS consent will void the warranty and I wasn't going to do that, as I have Gold warranty I don't want to waste it.
However I was curious to discover if there are any new bios updates for the Vyper and which version is the latest.
If there's any new version available they aren't listed in the admin section of my PCS account.
I contacted them in August about any BIOS updates and they said 1.06 was the latest. But I don't think they would contact me if any new version will be released.

It's a bit weird as it feels like the laptop is kind of abandoned in terms of support. Drivers are from September 2020 and the Control Center is way behind in terms of updates compared to other brands.
They have the PCI-E power management disabled in the BIOS (as I have reported in another post), the Nvidia GPU sometimes turn on by itself even with laptop on idle (consuming about 30-40W).
Using the touchpad causes consumption to spike about 2-3W when using finger on it (which is quite high considering the laptop consumes about 6-8W during idle), measured with HWInfo (discharge rate).
I was hoping for some further support and a more polished BIOS/software/drivers.

I don't want to bother PCS Support at this stage as they have already a busy queue and response time are very long (7-10 days).

JOSMAN

ok, in my account are the drivers from a year ago. I contacted the support and I have not received any update and the BIOS tells me that it does not recommend updating it, so I have a laptop without updating. Is there a manufacturer repository, or some other solution?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok, in my account are the drivers from a year ago. I contacted the support and I have not received any update and the BIOS tells me that it does not recommend updating it, so I have a laptop without updating. Is there a manufacturer repository, or some other solution?
No, TongFang don’t have a public facing repository, you have to ask PCS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are you having a problem? If not, then your drivers and BIOS are far better off left well alone.

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Few days ago I've asked to PCS if there's any new BIOS for the Vyper III.
They replied after just 12h to the initial enquiry. Two days later they've replied and sent me a new BIOS, the 1.08 to be precise.
Which is nice!
I wonder what are the changes in v1.08 as there's no changelog in the zip file they've sent.

I'm going to give a try in the weekend.

Hopefully they've fixed something, such as the dGPU drawing 40W for no reason (happens randomly), PCIex power saving disable due to incompatible drivers/BIOS implementation, sticky FN key, default Power Mode in bios, Power mode button behaviour (full fan speed or power mode change).
I know, I'm just dreaming... :rolleyes::D

Few days ago I've asked to PCS if there's any new BIOS for the Vyper III.
They replied after just 12h to the initial enquiry. Two days later they've replied and sent me a new BIOS, the 1.08 to be precise.
Which is nice!
I wonder what are the changes in v1.08 as there's no changelog in the zip file they've sent.

I'm going to give a try in the weekend.

Hopefully they've fixed something, such as the dGPU drawing 40W for no reason (happens randomly), PCIex power saving disable due to incompatible drivers/BIOS implementation, sticky FN key, default Power Mode in bios, Power mode button behaviour (full fan speed or power mode change).
I know, I'm just dreaming... :rolleyes::D
Hey man!

Fellow Vyper iii user here. Any update on the above? If it worked would you mind attaching as I believe the BIOS is holding me back from installing Windows 11.

Cheers,
JB

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Hey man!

Fellow Vyper iii user here. Any update on the above? If it worked would you mind attaching as I believe the BIOS is holding me back from installing Windows 11.

Cheers,
JB
Hi John!
As Spydertracks said you'll lose your warranty if you don't ask directly to PCS for the BIOS update.
Just contact them using your personal account interface and ask for any bios update.
They will send it to your email. Follow the upgrade procedure thoroughly and if you are unsure about something ask for help/advice and don't do it, as it could brick your machine.
Don't know what your experience is with BIOS updates, so just wanted to give some advices. Better safe than sorry :)

In my case I did the BIOS upgrade procedure and the it was successful.

I've also asked PCS to send me any changelog for this bios version as I couldn't see any visible changes during normal usage (I've sent an email on the 28th July).

Unfortunately I didn't receive any response so far about the changelog.
I understand it's a minor request so probably it doesn't have the priority over other requests.

I've sent them another email this morning to ask about the changelog, just to understand what this BIOS improved or fixed.

Hopefully I'll get a response sooner or later.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
as I believe the BIOS is holding me back from installing Windows 11.
What makes you think that? The system requirements for Windows 11 are these....
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
  • RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.
  • Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
    (Additional storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features).
  • Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
  • System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
  • TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
  • Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
  • Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
    (Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use).

Totally missed this.... BIOS has no relation to installing windows 10. TPM is likely the only factor, and that's there, just needs to be enabled.
TPM is enabled and I have run all checks to confirm my system is ready for Windows 11 - however the Vyper freaks out during install at the same percentage of the install each time, having to revert back to win10.

I have done all things like updating the drivers, checking storage space and of course making sure TPM 2.0 is enabled and working.

The BIOS is the last denominator for me, as it's not been updated since 2019 and I believe there have been numerous fixes included with the new BIOS.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
TPM is enabled and I have run all checks to confirm my system is ready for Windows 11 - however the Vyper freaks out during install at the same percentage of the install each time, having to revert back to win10.

I have done all things like updating the drivers, checking storage space and of course making sure TPM 2.0 is enabled and working.

The BIOS is the last denominator for me, as it's not been updated since 2019 and I believe there have been numerous fixes included with the new BIOS.
As I said, there's nothing in BIOS settings other than the usual secure boot and other general things that should be configured anyway for windows 10 (if setup correctly).

There's no updates required for windows 11 in the BIOS. It's either configured correctly or isn't.

You need to clean install, not upgrade in place. It's a beta, it's not ready for public release yet.

As I said, there's nothing in BIOS settings other than the usual secure boot and other general things that should be configured anyway for windows 10 (if setup correctly).

There's no updates required for windows 11 in the BIOS. It's either configured correctly or isn't.

You need to clean install, not upgrade in place. It's a beta, it's not ready for public release yet.
You cannot be certain that there isn't something in the BIOS that could be causing this issue - I'm just doing regular fault finding. The current BIOS version I'm running also has known issues with power management on the GPU and undervolting settings, so updating the BIOS is a win/win for me.

I have done a clean install; I'm using a freshly installed version of Win10, fully updated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You cannot be certain that there isn't something in the BIOS that could be causing this issue
I can actually, BIOS has no impact on installation of Windows. You could be on a version from 2016 that hadn't been updated since then, so long as it's got TMP 2.0 support and secure boot is active, you can install windows 11. There are no other BIOS requirements.

I have done a clean install; I'm using a freshly installed version of Win10, fully updated.
No, I mean clean install windows 11. Pointless clean installing windows 10 to run windows 11?