Wait for the new cards or go for Nvidia 480's?

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Ok I have been curious to know what these new Nvidia graphics cards are gunna be like after the ammount of feedback well reviews that have been made saying that 470-480's overheat compared to other cards like ATI and use lots more power they possibly might have gone back and worked on improveing in that area. But! I have the money for a new PC now what you think patience or go for a quicy 480:eek:?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
No one knows for sure what the GTX580 is going to be like, it's up to you if you want to wait or not.

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, if you wait, it could be quite some time, and then you might hear about something else and want to wait for that, and then you'll end up waiting forever and never order your PC as more and more stuff comes out :)

Craig

Silver Level Poster
They do make alot of heat yes, but that can be balanced by making sure your case has adequate cooling, I wouldn't call it overheating though.

480 is fine for ANY game now a days.

Gishank

Bright Spark
GTX480 will do you well for a good couple of years to come, hell my GTX285 is still going strong. To be honest, we probs won't see or hear about the GTX500's till next year probs April-time. Though I think by then we may get a 490/495 chip coming in to existance.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We know that some new Nvidia cards are coming, but everyone is tight lipped as to the date. They could be here before Christmas, but then again it could be in the new year with 20% VAT...

Sleinous

Author Level
Its only 2.5% more than old vat ;) we needta get this country out of the mess labour left it in. Its the hard way or no way.

Here's the spec u asked for:

Case
PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!
2nd Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
80GB Intel® X25-M 2.5" SSD (34nm / upto 250MB/sR | 70MB/sW)***SPECIAL***
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 1200W MODULAR PSU (AX1200) PRO SERIES 80+ GOLD (£206)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing
1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,942.00 including VAT and delivery.

Id advise a HAF 922 / 932 but i couldnt select it because i couldnt scroll to the right on the configurator on iphone.

This build has a 2 year warranty on parts instead of 1 year.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
"NVIDIA Accidently Confirms Legitimacy of GTX 580 Card"

Accidently? pfft, they did it deliberately as a marketing tactic to draw the attention away from AMD's new cards and the ones being released in the next few months.

Sleinous

Author Level
"NVIDIA Accidently Confirms Legitimacy of GTX 580 Card"

Accidently? pfft, they did it deliberately as a marketing tactic to draw the attention away from AMD's new cards and the ones being released in the next few months.

Infact there was already news of the 580 confirmation before this leakage :p

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Wonder howmuch they will be when they are released hope there not as exspensive as the 480's :p.

Gorman

Author Level
Fermi doesnt overheat. They operate within specs. You cant improve on what isnt broken.

The only thing broken about the last gen of cards is the technical knowledge of online reviewers.

Wait for the next gen, as it is almost here, be it ATI or Nvidia.

OH NOES! steam is coming from my kettle, it must be overheating, i hope they fix that. /facepalm.

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
Well when the new graphics cards do come out the 480's should drop in price dramatically but then again they might have a cheaper version of hte 580 like when they did the 480's they also had the 470 a lower version of the card hope so atleast.

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
You know when PCS build the PC's do they use specific companies like Asus, Avga etc or do htey use the standard factory stuff? I'm just curious becuase some other companies make alot of modifications to there products.

Sleinous

Author Level
Palit use stock settings and thats generally what PCS uses for Nvidia GPUS, EVGA sometimes use factory overclocks, liek MSI and ASUS.

For ATI, its usually Powercolor, but no clue on whether theyre factory default or overclocked. Yes COLOR, because it is a brand-name.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Well when the new graphics cards do come out the 480's should drop in price dramatically but then again they might have a cheaper version of hte 580 like when they did the 480's they also had the 470 a lower version of the card hope so atleast.

It's unlikely they will drop in price, and if they do it will only be to clear invertories and won't last long. When a new high end card is released the card it replaces normally goes EOL (end-of-life).