Waiting Stock and other stuffs

Ads

Hello all,

Apologies if I sound/come across impatient only I was wondering how long it takes for PCS to receive in new stock.

My build changed from Pre Prod to In Building on yesterday and in the notes it says awaiting a PCI Express Wireless card...Im trying (and hoping too) that the build will be finished Monday 25th as Im trying to wangle working from home either Thursday/Friday next week in anticipation of DHL bringing my PC you guys are building for me...

Any suggestions on when you receive in new stock etc ?

Thanks very much !!

PS - Also when it comes to upgrading my pc when I get some money do you sell parts individually or can I bring it to you for you to install (im approx 30 mins from PCS) ??

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes PCS will sell you individual parts afterwards, stock MAY arrive on Monday, that I have no idea, however, there are still a few stages for it to proceed through before dispatch so Friday may be cutting it fine especially as itw ould have to leave Thursday to get to you on Friday.

Ads

Yeah I know it has testing and everything to get through and its cutting it fine......its just the wait hurts lol..

Cheers for the response !

Sleinous

Author Level
Yeah, waiting is a killer, ill give you that! :p Any reason for chosing the PCIe WLAN card over the PCI one? PCI is more of a redundant port that I would generally fill up with stuff like WLAN cards especially as the 2 cards are both produced by Edimax I beileve and perform identically as nowhere near the full bandwidth of the expansion slots is used on either of the ports. The PCI card is also £3 cheaper :) and would leave an extra PCIe slot free for other upgrades.

Ads

Totally not sure why i did that lol Im not tech savvy enough to see pros or cons..I suffer from v. bad internet connection (hooray for rural areas and BT stakeholders more interested in cash returns now rather than next gen broadband for all (which would probably make them more money in the long term, but whatever)) I figured better products are normally more expensive so I went for the more expensive option hoping to maximise my connection as is......

Sleinous

Author Level
Totally not sure why i did that lol Im not tech savvy enough to see pros or cons..I suffer from v. bad internet connection (hooray for rural areas and BT stakeholders more interested in cash returns now rather than next gen broadband for all (which would probably make them more money in the long term, but whatever)) I figured better products are normally more expensive so I went for the more expensive option hoping to maximise my connection as is......

I can confirm that it wont ;)

If you're a BT Total Broadband subscriber, you can for an iPlate (only have to pay for P&P) this will filter out the analog bell ringer from your master socket and increase the speed of your BB. (Only applies to those who have ADSL (telephone line which I guess you have).

AND, this socket:

bt_master_socket_2.jpg

The split panel ones can have iPlates fitted to them. I sawm y speed increase from 150kb/s to around 1mb/s then stabled out to 700kb/s once my ip profile had settled.

Note it doesnt have to have the BT logo in top left, can have nothing, or the other lgoo cant remember what it is though.

Ads

Oh lol, thanks for the confirmation Sleinous...its only 3 quid, I can live with that overspend. Also on virgin broadband, although not in a cable area so dont think I can use that iplate...sides I thought my measley 2mbps was bad...I feel extremely lucky if your only getting 1mbps..

Good news and I didnt realise this but PCS send an email out saying which item is missing from your order and when the ETA is on the part....turns out that the part is due today !! Heres hoping that they continue with their excellent service and install it..if its here !

Sleinous

Author Level
Its not for cable, its for ppl like u and me: telephone line subscribers. Btw I got an engineer out and he fixed my speed, wiring was issue this time - im back to 6mbps :) The iplate works for any isp as long as ur master socket looks like the one in my pic, with half a front panel u can take off