Want to check out Linux, any pointers from the pro's?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

I'm keen to try out a linux distro to get to know the platform.

I know this is subjective, but there are so many distro's out there, I don't know where to start.

I'm looking for a more workstation/professional version of the OS initially.

I'll be putting it on my homemade desktop as a dual boot with Server 2012 R2 (specs in my signature), do you see any issues relating to driver installation?

Appreciate any pointers.

What I've looked into so far from https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/878620-the-best-linux-distros-of-2016 suggests Debian/CentOS as server platforms and Linux Mint Cinnamon as a desktop alternative.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
I would suggest any DEB based OS. Ubuntu is a perfect example, most of stuff will work out-of-the box, easy to install and to live with. I've been using Ubuntu server editions (the LTS ones) as servers for +8 years without any issues. Not so much familiar with latest desktop editions, but if anything I've learned over years: Ubuntu is a very well maintained distro.

Also are you set with dual-booting? I know a lot of people are doing so, but I can't see much point nowadays, if you can virtualise instead. It's not like you're going to be play games on it. Fire it up through HyperV or VirtualBox directly from your server 2012, set full-screen or even seamless mode and you are set. Benefits of two OS at the same time. Modern hardware is more than capable of running both along side without any issues. Also this way you can try dozen of different distros and then pick one you like the most :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would suggest any DEB based OS. Ubuntu is a perfect example, most of stuff will work out-of-the box, easy to install and to live with. I've been using Ubuntu server editions (the LTS ones) as servers for +8 years without any issues. Not so much familiar with latest desktop editions, but if anything I've learned over years: Ubuntu is a very well maintained distro.

Also are you set with dual-booting? I know a lot of people are doing so, but I can't see much point nowadays, if you can virtualise instead. It's not like you're going to be play games on it. Fire it up through HyperV or VirtualBox directly from your server 2012, set full-screen or even seamless mode and you are set. Benefits of two OS at the same time. Modern hardware is more than capable of running both along side without any issues. Also this way you can try dozen of different distros and then pick one you like the most :D

Thanks for the advice. Hadn't even considered a vm, but that makes a lot of sense, will do that.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ubuntu is definitely the most popular distro as its most user friendly and fairly similar to Windows and pretty much removes all need to use the command line unlike every other distro I've tried.

I did personally prefer Lubuntu when I was using it, its the fastest version of Ubuntu with some stuff stripped out. I was using it on a pretty lame laptop. The others are still very fast but getting the lightest one doesn't really seem necessary for your spec.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ubuntu is definitely the most popular distro as its most user friendly and fairly similar to Windows and pretty much removes all need to use the command line unlike every other distro I've tried.

I did personally prefer Lubuntu when I was using it, its the fastest version of Ubuntu with some stuff stripped out. I was using it on a pretty lame laptop. The others are still very fast but getting the lightest one doesn't really seem necessary for your spec.

Thanks Woz... What would you recommend for a fairly stipped out version where you did need to use the command line a lot?

mishra

Rising Star
It's not quite like that. Virtually all editions of linux have shell at heart. So it will make no difference which edition of linux you end up using, command line will always be there. It will be up to you to use it or not.

Things like setup of WiFi, networks, shares, playing music, mounting USB sticks, etc... can all be done by running commands (or changing config files). These can also done by using GUI applications. Over time you will use both ways to achieve different things in linux.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah my explanation was not clear, the command line is still there all the same, but the GUI allows you to bypass it almost entirely in Ubuntu, eg tonnes of software can be installed from the software centre with the click of a button. As for a recommendation on almost purely console distro I'm not sure. Most of the most popular ones tend to sway towards GUI as much as possible. Perhaps some of the less popular distros can do it better, but I imagine they all support the same in terms of scripts and commands.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's not quite like that. Virtually all editions of linux have shell at heart. So it will make no difference which edition of linux you end up using, command line will always be there. It will be up to you to use it or not.

Things like setup of WiFi, networks, shares, playing music, mounting USB sticks, etc... can all be done by running commands (or changing config files). These can also done by using GUI applications. Over time you will use both ways to achieve different things in linux.

Yeah my explanation was not clear, the command line is still there all the same, but the GUI allows you to bypass it almost entirely in Ubuntu, eg tonnes of software can be installed from the software centre with the click of a button.

I see, no worries, thanks v much you two, checking out ubuntu now.