Wanting to buy Viper III laptop...

Kimikus

Hello everyone, first time poster. After doing some research, I decided to consider PCS as they come highly recommended from various different sites. I want to buy a gaming laptop (I am aware I can get a more powerful desktop but I need the portability) and know that there is a new series of graphic cards/processors about to be released. I am just concerned about purchasing now and then in a few weeks time a better set of graphic cards are coming out for the same budget. Can someone please tell me whats coming out soon and if I will be better off waiting a bit to get a better deal? My budget is no more than £1800 so please consider this because I won't be interested in a £3000 viper 4 or something like that lol. Many thanks.

Below are the specs of the laptop I'm currently interested in.

Chassis & Display

Viper III: 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Dual Core Mobile Processor i7-2640M (2.80GHz) 4MB
Memory (RAM)

8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card

2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)
Memory - Hard Disk

750GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader

Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste

ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card

Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless

GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
USB Options

2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery

Viper Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,700 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor

1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software

Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2010 (1 License Product Key Card) (£82)
Anti-Virus

BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Laptop Cooling Stands

Zalman ZM-NC2000 Ultra-Quiet Cooler, upto 20 inch (£39)
Keyboard Language

INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse

MICROSOFT WIRELESS MOBILE MOUSE 4000 (£15)
Webcam

INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty

3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee

1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Insurance

1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery

STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time

Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

Total: £1715

AndyL

Great laptop apart from the CPU choice. Upgrade to the i7-2670 (which is not only better but its also cheaper) :)

PylinJ

Please, I urge you to select the i7-2670 its a brilliant processor especially if you want to play games, just handles things a lot better in my opinion ^_^ ..

Kimikus

Thanks, will do. By the way I just went to configure it again and Viper III isn't there anymore, looks like it has been taken down. No more stock? :(

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
That's right I'm afraid. The Viper III just sold out today and no more models are due in. However, next week we will have the new Vortex III chassis with the GTX 670M/GTX 675M and later on in April we will have stock with SLi GTX 675M :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have one, (possibly two) chassis available that we're originally reserved but are now free due to a failed finance agreements. They are back on the website and will come only in SLI option (2 cards). Be quick! :D

Kimikus

Thanks for the update :) I am just waiting for IB processors to come out later this month before deciding. I am very happy with the vortex III model so if the Viper sells out before then, it's no biggie. I will definitely be making a purchase by the end of the month depending on the price of IB compared to SB. If it isn't worth the price difference I'll reconsider Viper (assuming it hasn't sold which it probably will have by then lol) otherwise Vortex III will be just as good for my needs. By the way, does anyone know the pricing for the IB equivalent of the 2670QM? That's pretty much what I'm waiting to know because if the price difference is minimal I may as well just wait for IB to get that extra bit of future proofing and performance. Apologies for being clueless, I'm just a bit confused right now, there's always new tech coming out it's difficult keeping track of it all LOL!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Pricing is likely to be similar but we do not have any official pricing at present.