Warranty Question

dontsimon

I have a question about terms and conditions point 7.14.

7.14. Will I void my warranty if I open the case and install my own components?

Unlike with most computer manufacturers, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty providing that:

* You understand that if the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void.
* You understand that if the components you install cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void.
* You understand that we will in no way support you installing your own components or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
* You understand that we have over 30 different measures in place to detect if a component has been moved/removed and if you have moved/removed a component, your warranty will be void. You are only entitled to add extra components to your computer.

Basically, if you add a component to your computer and all goes well, you will still have a warranty. In any other circumstance, your warranty will be void.

This suggests that I can add a component, but if for example I were to buy and install a new graphics card later on (within warranty period) I would void the warranty for the entire PC. Is this correct?

This concerns me as I would plan on buying the PC with a low end card, then upgrade in a few months when I could afford it. But I'd void my warranty by doing so??

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
No, you woulnt void it unless you tried to inset it incorrectly, bent the pins of teh PCIe x16 slot in your motherboard etd, or tried to knock the GPU in with a pocket-hammer. Anything like that where youve insertede your new GPU and broken part of your computer in doing so.

dontsimon

So what does it mean when it says: "if you have moved/removed a component, your warranty will be void"?

This suggests taking out your graphics card, to replace it with another, voids your warranty.

Sleinous

Author Level
It means unless you're RMAing a part or upgrading a part. The bit below that contradicts it. Must admit, its not overly clear!

Gorman

Author Level
Upgrading the GPU will not void the warranty on the machine unless the upgrade damages the machine, your new card will not be covered by our warranty.