Warranty section wording

Eric5765

Was just looking through the warranty section deciding on if it was worth it and I'm not sure if I'm just reading it wrong?

The first thing you see at the top of the page is

For your peace of mind, we offer the option to protect your purchase with insurance which includes accidental damage, liquid damage and optionally theft. Protection is covered worldwide and will enable a fast repair or replacement should anything go wrong.

The 'about us' page also mirrors this:

WARRANTY SERVICES
For your peace of mind, we offer the option to protect your purchase with insurance which includes accidental damage, liquid damage and optionally theft. Protection is covered worldwide and will enable a fast repair or replacement should anything go wrong.

Our insurance packages protect against theft, accidental damage, breakdown and also liquid damage. With laptops being used all over the home, it can be very easy to spill your drink or knock it from your kitchen worktops and therefore insurance is strongly recommended.

But then when you go into the terms they seem to explicitly fly in the face of what is said on the site:

7.4This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party (e.g. not using a surge protector), use otherwise than as recommended by us or the manufacturer (e.g. in an unventilated / hot or dusty environment), failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the manufacturer's approval.

There is no mention of 'liquid' damage in the terms, at first I thought maybe it meant like a burst pipe or something, but the site explicitly mentions knocking your laptop from a worktop or spilling your drink on it which would surely fall under accidental damage/negligence and be void?

There is also no mention of theft at all in the terms of the warranty, is this covered or not? I know it says optionally but there is no option anywhere, and in the about us page it says optionally in one sentence then 'our insurance packages protect against theft' in the next.

Seems a bit misleading unless I'm totally missing something, in which case please forgive me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Warranty and insurance are 2 separate things. They’re saying they can provide additional insurance on top of the warranty to cover those things, but no warranty would cover any user errors. Warranties are for components that fail before a certain period of having been sold.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There's warranty, and there's insurance.

Warranty is something you get with the system anyway, and can upgrade for a longer period. Insurance is an extra and completely different package.

Eric5765

I thought that might be the case but the about us page under 'Warranty services' it immediately brings up 'insurance' in the first sentence so it seems like these two words are being used interchangeably, and it only links back to the warranty page.

Also extended warranties to my understanding are in effect insurance anyway, or at least there is a lot of crossover in this situation so I can see them using them interchangeably. You are purchasing them to insure yourself against issues that fall outside of the warranty.

I also can't find any mention of insurance anywhere under the site or terms where it does not link back to the warranty page, where can you see more info on the insurance services if these are different as you say, as there is no info on the site about this?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought that might be the case but the about us page under 'Warranty services' it immediately brings up 'insurance' in the first sentence so it seems like these two words are being used interchangeably, and it only links back to the warranty page.

Also extended warranties to my understanding are in effect insurance anyway. You are purchasing them to insure yourself against issues that fall outside of the warranty.

I also can't find any mention of insurance anywhere under the site where it does not link back to the warranty page, where can you see more info on the insurance services if these are different as you say?
They're 2 different things.

The warranty covers part failures independent of user action.

Insurance covers user contributed failures.

Insurance wouldn't cover a warranty issue and vice versa.

Extended warranty is just extending the period that the warranty covers. It's standard on anything including cars, white goods. But specifically for component failure not due to user interaction.

For insurance you'd have to contact PCS directly, but most people would be covered under home insurance / car insurance.

Eric5765

Fair enough, I dropped this is in the website feedback section because if that's the case then its pretty confusing/misleading that the site seems to jump back and forward between warranty and insurance in places but there is nowhere that actually clarifies that these are separate services and need to be sorted separately or give any information on how to do so.

Back to my last question I can't seem to find any information or pages at all on the insurance, they all just link back to the warranty package page, is there anywhere I can see this?

*edit

Just saw the final bit of your post, fair enough, thanks for the info.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair enough, I dropped this is in the website feedback section because if that's the case then its pretty misleading that the site seems to jump back and forward between warranty and insurance in places but there is nowhere that actually clarifies this.

Back to my last question I can't seem to find any information or pages at all on the insurance, they all just link back to the warranty package page, is there anywhere I can see this?

*edit

Just saw the final bit of your post, fair enough, thanks for the info.
You'd need to contact PCS directly about insurance, but as I said, most people will be covered under home / car insurance.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't think the terms are used interchangeably, I think they're just marketing the insurance. However, you're not the first person to have asked the question

The details of the insurance are available once you configure a spec.

Configure a spec (any spec, doesn't have to be a serious one), click "proceed" and on the spec summary page it says:

1578151419463.png

The pricing presumably being relative to the spec's price.