Warranty When Overclocking!

handside

Consider: I buy a pre-built overclocked PC from PCS with an "Overclocked Intel Six Core i7-3930K (3.2GHz @ max 4.6GHz)" Processor.
Is the warranty void from day one, if running overclocked at 4.6GHz ?
Ray

Rakk

The Awesome
Consider: I buy a pre-built overclocked PC from PCS with an "Overclocked Intel Six Core i7-3930K (3.2GHz @ max 4.6GHz)" Processor.
Is the warranty void from day one, if running overclocked at 4.6GHz ?
Ray

No, as stated at the beginning of this thread, overclocking your CPU (especially if done by PCS) does not void your warranty at all.

However, if whilst doing your own overclocking and it is the action of doing said overclocking that actually breaks the CPU then it wouldn't be covered, i.e. if you choose to overclock yourself be careful when you're doing it, and make sure you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
No, as stated at the beginning of this thread, overclocking your CPU (especially if done by PCS) does not void your warranty at all.

However, if whilst doing your own overclocking and it is the action of doing said overclocking that actually breaks the CPU then it wouldn't be covered, i.e. if you choose to overclock yourself be careful when you're doing it, and make sure you know what you're doing.

+1

Also, make sure you actually need a oc'd cpu. CPU's are incredibly powerful nowdays, so its very possible that you will not even need an OC.

handside

Ah I see: any failure of the CPU whilst running overclocked by PCS, is coverd by the CPU warranty but any failure of the CPU whilst running overclocked by the PC user is not covered - correct?

Rakk

The Awesome
Ah I see: any failure of the CPU whilst running overclocked by PCS, is coverd by the CPU warranty but any failure of the CPU whilst running overclocked by the PC user is not covered - correct?
No, if you overclock it and it is the overclocking that causes the failure then the warranty is void, however, if it is stable whilst overclocking and it fails due to something not related to your OC you will be fine, if that makes sense, I think.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
but any failure of the CPU whilst running overclocked by the PC user is not covered - correct?

if you overclock it incorrectly and that's what causes the failure then the warranty is void

I am confused :) , aren't those 2 statements similar?

Rakk

The Awesome
I am confused :) , aren't those 2 statements similar?

Not quite, very slight difference, you could 'correctly' overclock and something else could go wrong that wasn't caused by the OC'ing (however this is probably quite unlikely)

Though, admittedly I may have got the wrong end of the stick whilst reading what PCS said on the first page.

Obviously OC'ing the CPU and something else failing would generally be covered.

handside

It's clear now thanks. But how can you tell, if the CPU fails, who has done the overclocking (PCS or PC user)when running overclocked,

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It's clear now thanks. But how can you tell, if the CPU fails, who has done the overclocking (PCS or PC user)when running overclocked,

If the OC is done incorrectly or is not stable you may get a blue screen. You may get other issues like the starting page telling you that the OC profile failed to load or not able to go into Windows.
From the first page:

BEAR IN MIND THAT IF YOU OVERCLOCK YOUR COMPUTER INCORRECTLY YOUR COMPUTER WILL CRASH, BLUESCREEN OR POSSIBLY BREAK!

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome

If the OC is done incorrectly or is not stable you may get a blue screen. You may get other issues like the starting page telling you that the OC profile failed to load or not able to go into Windows.
From the first page:

BEAR IN MIND THAT IF YOU OVERCLOCK YOUR COMPUTER INCORRECTLY YOUR COMPUTER WILL CRASH, BLUESCREEN OR POSSIBLY BREAK!

As well as rubensolo's comments, if PCS overclock it for you, they do rigorous testing to make sure their OC won't break anything, this is why you can't fast track an OC'd system.

ObserverJLin

Bronze Level Poster
Regarding warranty on overclocking. If you overclock your GPU your warranty will be void.

Save your BIOS as a profile before proceeding so that if anything goes wrong you can return back to your original profile.

So for example, even the slightest OC on Core & Memory Clock on the 17VortexIII/680m will void warranty? i.e 10% OC on Core & Memory whilst leaving the voltage on stock.

In that case does that mean I'll have to wait for warranty to run out before even thinking about OC on the GPU?

rickne

Master Poster
So for example, even the slightest OC on Core & Memory Clock on the 17VortexIII/680m will void warranty? i.e 10% OC on Core & Memory whilst leaving the voltage on stock.

In that case does that mean I'll have to wait for warranty to run out before even thinking about OC on the GPU?

All the guides I read involve fiddling with vbios. Im just not going there. I know you can tweak with Afterburner but with dynamic boost being as erratic as it is Id leave it well alone.

My question is regarding Turboboost on the Intel chips. Apparently this is switched off on Clevo units yet any method to bypass this voids warranty so Im told. IS this some grey area PCS or can you set me straight?

policematrix

Regarding warranty on overclocking, this thread is here to clear up any confusion, and set the mind at rest.

When you overclock a PC you will not void your warranty unless the PC fails as a result of the overclock. If you overclock your CPU and your hard drive breaks, we WILL cover this under warranty. If however you overclock your CPU and it breaks, we wont cover this under warranty.

The only overclocking permitted under warranty is the CPU. If you overclock your GPU your warranty will be void.

Before even considering overclocking you need to ensure the following:

1. You have a good enough CPU fan. We recommend the Titan Fenrir or CoolIT Eco.

2. You have good quality CPU paste.

3. Your PSU can handle the wattage required.

4. You have a good enough case that can provide sufficient airflow.

Finally, you will need to know the correct settings for your BIOS. Save your BIOS as a profile before proceeding so that if anything goes wrong you can return back to your original profile.

I find it strange you recommend the CoolIT Eco as a quick google search shows it is known for leaking/bursting and the customer support is non-existent, also people saying it died after only 1 years use, but the leaking is the nail in the coffin really

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I find it strange you recommend the CoolIT Eco as a quick google search shows it is known for leaking/bursting and the customer support is non-existent, also people saying it died after only 1 years use, but the leaking is the nail in the coffin really

The post is quite old when PCS was using coolit.

sibewolf

but you say if it kills the cpu its not covered but when i brought my laptop recently i7 btw it says it can be set to turbo to make it 3.5 GHz 1, does this void the warranty 2, how do you dnage it in the bois as its not showing any settings to do this

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
but you say if it kills the cpu its not covered but when i brought my laptop recently i7 btw it says it can be set to turbo to make it 3.5 GHz 1, does this void the warranty 2, how do you dnage it in the bois as its not showing any settings to do this

AFAIK turbo mode is turned on automatically if the CPU is under load, there are no BIOS controls to manage this. Also, on my Optimus IV, turbo mode is disabled by the BIOS when the GPU is in use to prevent overheating.

sibewolf

AFAIK turbo mode is turned on automatically if the CPU is under load, there are no BIOS controls to manage this. Also, on my Optimus IV, turbo mode is disabled by the BIOS when the GPU is in use to prevent overheating.

Thanks That makes sense now