WD 1TB VelociRaptor

Finn

Enthusiast
I dont really understand, can you put it in a laptop? If not why is it 2.5"? Desktops tends to have better cooling around the hard drive than laptops so why would it only need more cooling then?

Rakk

The Awesome
As far as I can tell Velociraptors are always 2.5" in a 3.5" frame, unknown why, maybe they just make them smaller.
But I think they were always meant for desktops and not laptops (could be wrong though).

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
I dont really understand, can you put it in a laptop? If not why is it 2.5"?

Yes
It is just a normal 2.5" HDD sitting in a 3.5" frame that comes with a 3.5-inch mounting frame/heatsink for Desktops

Desktops tends to have better cooling around the hard drive than laptops so why would it only need more cooling then?

Can never have enough cooling... Cooler components = better running, longer lasting computers thus why people spend so much money on cooling these days.

Finn

Enthusiast
Yes
Can never have enough cooling... Cooler components = better running, longer lasting computers thus why people spend so much money on cooling these days.

True, but just having it in front of the front fans in a desktop is going to provide masses of cooling compared to a laptop, enough that I would doubt that adding a heatsink would provide much more unless it runs *extremely hot* and if it runs that hot it would basically cook a laptop.

But it seems its never intended for a laptop, the form factor is just one of those weirdnesses

Buzz

Master
Lot of Modders would move the HDD from that position to allow the front fans give its full potential airflow. I have seen many where HDDs are moved to the bottom of the chassis next to power supply out and away from the front. Also an enclosure like this would be touching the HDD itself which would cool the whole unit rather then a fan at the front which can be obstructed by the cages and cables etc, and keep the actual HDD unit itself cool.

Personally, if it doesnt add to clutter in the case, and cools something more then why not.

PS: My top SSD drive and HDD just below that run hotter then both bottom HDD all in same area at front of case for the moment.

SSD 0 = 26°C (top)
HDD 1 = 27°C
HDD 2 = 24°C
HDD 3 = 22°C (Bottom)

Finn

Enthusiast
You can easily add 10+ degrees to those figures for a laptop however...

Basically if I bought an expensive laptop hard drive to discover it had a significantly shorter life because I *shock* put it in a laptop, i'd be a little... annoyed.

Rakk

The Awesome
Basically if I bought an expensive laptop hard drive to discover it had a significantly shorter life because I *shock* put it in a laptop, i'd be a little... annoyed.
Yes, but as I said earlier and you repeated, I don't think the Velociraptors were ever really meant for laptops, the fact that you might be able to fit them if you can get rid of the frame doesn't mean it was meant for a laptop :).

Note: I haven't actually looked into whether people have used them in laptops or not, they may have, they may not have.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Be nice to have one, but the extra heat output and extra cost on top I don't think it would be really worth it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well judging by my raptor temps (which has a pretty much identical design) there is little difference in temps, a couple degrees at most