Website Configurator – What am I doing Wrong?

MRCC

Regarding Hard Disks what I would like is the following set-up:

Disk 1: An SSD Disk (80GB Intel X-25)
This SSD to have OS and regularly used programs

Disk2: 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
Disk3: 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
These two disks to be in RAID 1 format.

Using the configurator, I can select an SSD for Disk 1 and also select a 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX for Disk 2. However, when I come to select Disk 3 the 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX is not available (even with having NO RAID selected).

The ONLY way that I have found to obtain what I need is to do the following:
For Disk 1 and Disk 2 is to select the required 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX. Doing it this way around the configurator allows it. I then make the Disk 3 the required SSD. This then and does cause some confusion as to why I have not selected the SSD as my first drive, Disk 1, for the programs as is the normal convention.

Am I doing something incorrect? Or is this a ‘quirk’ of the configurator?

Ian

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ian

The reason is because the motherboards only have 2 x 6GB's SATA ports. Therefore if we had the option for the 3rd and 4th HDD, customers would select 4 x SATA 6GB's and we would be mis-selling to them...

However, I can understand your frustration with your configuration choice. If you place your order with the 2 x 1TB as HDD 1 & 2, and the SSD as HHD3, then call our call centre, we will add a task to install on the 80GB SSD for you. :)

MRCC

Thanks for that PCS.

I thought it may be something like that - as long as it is not me doing something wrong.

Ian