Weird power issue with Defiance when on battery

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
I have a Defiance 2021 with 10870H and 3070, and it has a weird power issue that I've never encountered on any laptop before, when running on battery. Basically, whenever a sudden load is introduced (i.e. benchmark app or a game) while running on battery, the laptop simply shuts down. I'm guessing the battery cannot handle the load. The laptop then wont turn back on until I plug it in (which would be an even bigger problem if the charger is not to hand at the time).

What I dont understand is that most laptops manage the TDP/TGP while running on battery, so not sure why it allows this scenario to happen. It's hard to test since the laptop simply shuts off, but I'm 99% sure its the GPU which causes the shutdown.

Anyone heard of such an issue or how this can be avoided, as I can't set custom TGP on the GPU for when it's running on battery.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm no expert but I understand from other posts on here that DTR laptops do need to have the charger plugged in when being driven hard.

djsubtronic

Silver Level Poster
Is the Defiance a DTR though? It's a 3070 "Max Q" and 10870H, both "low" power high efficiency components. Just seems a bit weird that rather than throttling the power levels when on battery as it has done on the previous Defiance models, it just switches off abruptly as soon as any load is applied on both CPU and GPU. Not even max full load, just any simultaneous moderate load.

I do wonder though, I don't use the Clevo Control Centre application (although I have installed the CCC related drivers such as the ACPI ones), but I wonder if the software itself is also needed for this type of scenario to not happen.

Edit: nvm tried with CCC, still does it, although less frequently.

Last edited: