What’s your opinion on this monitor

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ Curved Gaming Monitor – 27 inch WQHD (2560x1440), 165Hz, Extreme Low Motion Blur™, Adaptive-sync, FreeSync™,1ms (MPRT), DisplayHDR™ 400

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
Was always planning on matching it with a 1440p 144hz monitor just wasn’t sure if the 165hz was too much and would have to up to a 2080s instead if I went for this, it’s £310 on amazon at the moment

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Was always planning on matching it with a 1440p 144hz monitor just wasn’t sure if the 165hz was too much and would have to up to a 2080s instead if I went for this, it’s £310 on amazon at the moment
It's an OK monitor, but this one is actually superior (same range):

You're sacrificing the extra 20Hz, but you won't notice that in games.

BUT You're gaining HDR10 support over the other monitors HDR400. That's a SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

There's a summary here on HDR if you're not familiar, it's a premium feature and well worth investing in:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Both of them would pair well with the 2070 Super, they'd both be a good option, just worth pushing for the HDR10 version if you're able to.

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the advice and the article, the HDR factor hadn’t actually occurred to me. As I’d said I wasn’t sure when I asked for the advice if the extra 20 MHz was going to mean I needed the 2080 instead and was going to mean I needed to change my specs before ordering my build. It’s surprising how all these small decisions can change or alter your build decisions.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the advice and the article, the HDR factor hadn’t actually occurred to me. As I’d said I wasn’t sure when I asked for the advice if the extra 20 MHz was going to mean I needed the 2080 instead and was going to mean I needed to change my specs before ordering my build. It’s surprising how all these small decisions can change or alter your build decisions.
I know, it's a mine field. The 2070 Super may not max out the 165Hz, but that's not a problem at all, just means you've got room to grow with future upgrades. It won't deter from the experience if you're not hitting the top capabilities of the monitor.

Anything over about 120Hz is almost indestinguishable to most people. Between the two specs, HDR10 is far more valuable than the extra 20Hz

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
another related question I'm assuming a DP cable would be best but would I be better buying a v1.4 or a v2.0 cable or would a hdmi v2 be better as again there seems to be a perfusion of cable options these days and I don’t trust sales staff in places like Currys to advise I once got conned into buying the most expensive cable option for a tv when hdmi first came out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
another related question I'm assuming a DP cable would be best but would I be better buying a v1.4 or a v2.0 cable or would a hdmi v2 be better as again there seems to be a perfusion of cable options these days and I don’t trust sales staff in places like Currys to advise I once got conned into buying the most expensive cable option for a tv when hdmi first came out.
The monitor will include cables.

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
ive been doing a bit of browsing as i prefere Amazon and have found this monitor as a possible compromise to the original monitor i asked about and the upper spec/cost monitor @SpyderTracks suggested i think this is a ultrawide version though it does mention 4K in the specs so want to check it will be compatible with the 2070s GPU
ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q 28 inch LED IPS Gaming Monitor - IPS Panel, 3840 x 2160 Resolution, 5ms Response, Speakers, HDMI

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ive been doing a bit of browsing as i prefere Amazon and have found this monitor as a possible compromise to the original monitor i asked about and the upper spec/cost monitor @SpyderTracks suggested i think this is a ultrawide version though it does mention 4K in the specs so want to check it will be compatible with the 2070s GPU
ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q 28 inch LED IPS Gaming Monitor - IPS Panel, 3840 x 2160 Resolution, 5ms Response, Speakers, HDMI
That’s 4k, you’d need a 2080ti to drive that.

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
Thanks think I will look again or go back to my original pick , the VG32VQ is for sale but is currently a minimum of 2 mth delivery lead, also after doing a bit of measurement of my existing monitor and the space available on my desk means the 27 inch fits nicely whereas a 32inch will probably mean pulling the monitor forward to a point it will be uncomfortable for safe viewing. To be honest I do really like your suggestion and in an ideal world would go for it in a heart beat , I think part of my reluctance is that I've never spent more than £200 on a monitor in the past and as I've just come clean so to speak with my partner about the projected cost of the desktop build he has said he's prepared to buy the monitor for my b'day/xmas and i dont want to take advantage of that ;)😊 oh decisions and dilemas