What are you driving at the moment?

So what are you driving [or riding] currently? Do you like it or would you like to change it?

Let's see if PC users have a choice of cars in common:)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So I've been a bit of a petrol head over the years. I've had a Porsche and an Audi A5 3.0 Quattro which was amazingly almost as fast despite being a diesel.

Now though, due to my hobby of diving which even occasionally include caves - a Mitsubishi L200 pickup truck.

And I have to say I really rate it - from a toys perspective it has everything the A5 had - heated seats, climate, cruise, touch screen stereo with nav and bluetooth, automatic headlights and washers etc. It also has a reversing camera which is handy. It's also a proper 4 wheel drive - locking diffs, low range, etc. Handy for some of the locations we've had to get to.

I got it because my kids were getting too big for the back seats of the A5 (my not-yet-15yo is 6'4" tall already!) and to be able to store mine and my dive buddies wet gear.

But it's a surprisingly practical motor from a family perspective too. Handy for taking crud to the recycling centre as well - I was a bit unsure if they'd let it in as it's technically a commercial vehicle but it registered fine.

I have a tendency to get bored after a year/18 months but I've had this one 2 1/2 years and still actually really enjoy it.

Stephen M

Author Level
No longer own a car as I use the train mostly and can easily borrow wheels if I need them, when I drove a lot for work is was a SAAB, decent performance and very comfortable. Pity they were destroyed by General Motors. It will be interesting to see how the Spyker SAAB goes, although not available in the UK at the moment.

jerpers

Master
All the kids mean I have a Ford Tourneo custom with 9 seats. I also have a Renault Zoe for commuting. Saving a fortune on fuel with that little electric car. I do however miss tinkering on my old MG Metro turbo and subsequently a Mk II Golf GTI. Maybe I'll get back into cars when the kids leave home. Might save up for an original Audi Quattro if they are still about then.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm heading for my mid-life crisis, and will be happily delving into it by buying a Mazda MX5, one of the new ones. I'm still currently mid lease on a Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel. Astounds me how responsive these new diesels are, this one's more sprightly than any 1.6 petrol I've ever owned. Shame they've deemed them planet killers.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm driving very old Suzuki Samurai - which doesn't actually belong to me (long story). If you've ever seen some of the dirt roads up in the mountains on Crete you'll understand why a) I'm diving a battered old Suzy and b) why I need the four wheel drive. Luxury it ain't and performance is not a word you've ever think of using, but it's very practical...

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'm driving very old Suzuki Samurai - which doesn't actually belong to me (long story). If you've ever seen some of the dirt roads up in the mountains on Crete you'll understand why a) I'm diving a battered old Suzy and b) why I need the four wheel drive. Luxury it ain't and performance is not a word you've ever think of using, but it's very practical...

It takes some getting used to when you go from a vehicle that does 0-62 in 4.7sec and is electronically limited to 155mph to one that has a top speed of 113 (allegedly) and does 0-62.

Oh and would be envious of the turning characteristics of most boats.

But saying that, I used to start to get bored of my motor in about 12-18 months. I've had this for 2 1/2 years now and still really enjoy driving it. Go figure.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Daily drive is a BWM 535D, it's getting on a bit now but it's an amazing bit of kit. Looking to trade it in at the end of the year but not sure what for yet. Thinking maybe a more recent variant.

Weekend car is a Toyota Supra. Had it since 2007 and built it all up myself. End goal is around 700hp, it's currently sitting at 612hp... it was limited by fuel.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It takes some getting used to when you go from a vehicle that does 0-62 in 5.7sec and is electronically limited to 155mph to one that has a top speed of 113 (allegedly) and does 0-62.

Oh and would be envious of the turning characteristics of most boats.

But saying that, I used to start to get bored of my motor in about 12-18 months. I've had this for 2 1/2 years now and still really enjoy driving it. Go figure.

As long as there is no wind I can turn my sailing yacht around under power in just a shade over her own length (45ft).... :boat:

pule333

:shuriken: 634A7264_youtube.jpg
https://youtu.be/Xq-OrPMq6EY

https://youtu.be/6R78DPr1Wag

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
I have a hand-me-down VW Polo 2003 Reg 1.2L

BUT.....I really want to move to a more economical solution and am seriously considering the New Nissan Leaf which is reportedly out in early 2019 with a mileage of 225-230 per charge as it will cut down on my considerable petrol costs significantly and I can get EV points installed at both my home and work residences with government funding.

mishra

Rising Star
I have a hand-me-down VW Polo 2003 Reg 1.2L

BUT.....I really want to move to a more economical solution and am seriously considering the New Nissan Leaf which is reportedly out in early 2019 with a mileage of 225-230 per charge as it will cut down on my considerable petrol costs significantly and I can get EV points installed at both my home and work residences with government funding.

Wow, but your Polo is doing like ~45mpg already. How many miles do you do a month to cut down petrol costs significantly? :)
I'm driving here with ~35mpg (traffic unfortunately) and thinking this not bad overall assuming my previous car was doing ~20mpg!

phitol

Bronze Level Poster
My current garage:
2016 BMW X3 35d - Family Wagon, 0-62 in 5.3 Seconds, well over half the cost of when it was new (£59K List with the £9K Options it has) Whilst its mainly for the wife, I really like this one (better than the previous Nissan X-Trail / Mazda CX-5 / Mini Countryman before it). I had to pay around £3K more then you could have just to get 'options' (Pan Roof, 360 Cameras, LED Headlights, Active Suspension, etc), but I'd rather do that than chase a 'year' of a number plate, and as I keep my cars fairly clean, they tend to hold their value.
xyPdiVdl.jpg

2004 E46 M3 Convertible - I bought this a few years ago for not much money, spent a little bit refreshing things, and now it's a cheap to run / insure bit of fun. The family and dog can squeeze in for a weekend out in the cotswolds, and it's almost seen as a classic! Not to mention it has the lovely quad exhausts and this has some fancy pants Italian exhaust that sounds civil when driving normally, but angrier than a wasp fighting a chainsaw when on full song (glorious in tunnels, revving to 8K RPM). 343BHP is still quite 'relevant' even by todays hot hatch standard, although its a touch slower to 62 than the X3 mainly as it's a manual and has no launch control, nice and old school! I have enabled track mode however, that allows you to look like you know how to drive as it lets the car slide a little bit before intervening, good for
khgHtQkl.jpg

Would I change them, or what is next?
Currently I'm happy with both. The M3 is the one I occasionally wonder if I should sell it. However it's cheap to insure, and actually surprisingly reliable and cheap to own at the moment, so considering I am only doing 2-3K Miles PA in it, it seems to not make sense. Not to mention everyone that sees it seems to really like it (as do I of course, I've updated the look slightly with LED Angel Eyes, and have CSL alloys which are of the period etc, to give it a more modern/sportier look, but nothing too OTT).

I think if I was to ignore the financial figures (something I struggle with!) and just look at the monthly figures, I've seen some cracking deals on
BMW X3 M40i - This is awesome, 360BHP, pops and bangs on overrun, and is that next level of sportyness that I like, will be perfect for the Mrs to get to her next nail/hair appointment that bit faster.
BMW 440i Convertible - Metal roof, roughly the same power as my M3, but a whole lot newer, however it's a bit 'safe' looks wise, and there is a bit of me that enjoys it when people compliment your car, but I doubt this would happen with the 440i.

turbocool

Trusty 2002 vw golf. I drive it because is tend to driver 10K miles a year for work. It's so cheap it doesn't hurt the wallet to do the miles. I would hate to have to do it in my pride and joy.

turbocool

I'm heading for my mid-life crisis, and will be happily delving into it by buying a Mazda MX5, one of the new ones. I'm still currently mid lease on a Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel. Astounds me how responsive these new diesels are, this one's more sprightly than any 1.6 petrol I've ever owned. Shame they've deemed them planet killers.
I alwyas wanted the mk2. Being based in London where I need to get a residents permit for onstreet parking, massive insurance I just couldn't get it because the annual ownership cost would have been too high.

I did have a drive on one, and it's such an enjoable car. I regret not buying one in my early 20s when I was single and no kids. Sadly I can't justify it now. I'm in my 30's so not quite there yet.

Thinking of moving out to Grays or Barnet for kids to grow up, might try to get a property with a drive, insruance is cheap there too.